• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on what to do with my phone.

1 post in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

I just bought a phone for my dad in China, since thats where I live and they are cheap here. I ended up choosing a HTC Desire VC (t328d) which are little known outside China and India.

The point is that I can't do anything with it now. I'm taking it back for him in 2 months and using it in the meantime but it does not have any google stuff on it which makes it a bit like a shoe without a sole. I'm not new to this and have messed around with phones before. I have rooted it and unlocked the bootloader. I've tried putting Google Apps on it loads of different ways and nothing works. I've tried putting it on by flashing it with CWM; installing the apk files individually; and copying the files over to system/apps folder (and changing permissions). I've tried several different downloads and they all fail with a parsing error. Anyway the point is it has failed and I've almost given up. There are no custom roms for it outside China so I could put a Chinese one on and try it all again, but Chinese people don't use google much so google stuff is not included in the roms.

Please can anyone offer advice on what to do with an android phone without google on it? are there any apps that offer similar stuff? where can i get apps from without google play store etc? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just annoyed that the new phone is suddenly pretty useless!

Thanks