Huawei Ascend G510 only £130 on Vodafone PAYG

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Vodafone have just launched the Huawei Ascend G510 for £130 Pay as You Go! No need to compromise on video and gaming quality if you're on a budget. The Huawei Ascend G510 offers high-end features you wouldn't expect at this price.

Specifications include...

• 4.5" 480x854 FWVGA resolution
  • Dual Core 1.2Ghz MSM8225 CPU
  • Adreno 203 GPU
  • 512MB RAM
  • 4GB ROM
  • HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps
  • HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps

The device is only available in black.

Will you be picking one up, perhaps will you be replacing your G300 with one of these?

Let us know in the comments - I know our very own Paul has tried to buy one already! :)

[Via: Vodafone]

gallery_19680_3_6883.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest Chrisund123

Quality gaming, with 512 mb of ram?!

Well, at least it won't have to display in high res :lol:

Seriously, Huawei should have shelled out for 1gb of ram. The low res I can forgive on a low budget device, but it could really use more ram.

Guest Chrisund123
Guess what's 10x better AND cheaper? It ends in "... Diego"

Shame about the locked bootloader though, else it could easily have ended up as big as the Blade.

Guest kyan31

But pretty much no development, at least this phone will get a unlocked bootloader within a week.

Even with an unlocked bootloader, the san diego is still a little crappy as it's x86, i'm sure it's very hard to develop for as it's a whole new architecture.

Meh, low ram, and medicre gpu and ok screen. I'd want 1gb ram, a sgx544 gpu like in the mt6589 mediatek chip and a 720p screen. £130 for that spec is too much, for £100 it would be fairly decent.

Guest glossywhite

But pretty much no development, at least this phone will get a unlocked bootloader within a week.

Even with an unlocked bootloader, the san diego is still a little crappy as it's x86, i'm sure it's very hard to develop for as it's a whole new architecture.

"crappy"? "hard to develop"?

Be careful who you listen to.

Guest kyan31

"crappy"? "hard to develop"?

Be careful who you listen to.

Okay then, I shouldn't call it "crappy", but i'm sure development would be hard.

Guest Voxpop2011

Well not really but 1 GB ram feel much smoother as you can have more applications in the background

The phone has not made it to Vodafone shops yet, despite having been officially launched. This seems like a contender in my hunt to replace the Skate/OMC.

Guest The Soup Thief

@Voxpop2011 Forget about it - spend the same money on a proper upgrade - a second hand Galaxy S2 or save a while longer and get a nexus 4. Dual core or not, this will be hobbled by the inadequate ram. For the same cash you could pick up a really neat Mediatech based device and have some proper fun :D

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Voxpop2011

@Voxpop2011 Forget about it - spend the same money on a proper upgrade - a second hand Galaxy S2 or save a while longer and get a nexus 4. Dual core or not, this will be hobbled by the inadequate ram. For the same cash you could pick up a really neat Mediatech based device and have some proper fun :D

The phone doesn't need to be high spec only better than the Skate/OMC. My main phone is an iPhone 4 and the Skate/OMC replacement will be for weekend use.

Guest glossywhite

Okay then, I shouldn't call it "crappy", but i'm sure development would be hard.

Why would you think that? Eclipse just builds for the intended target - the code is no different.

Guest Voxpop2011

Huawei, it's time to throw that 2011 calendar in the bin.

The phone is aimed at the budget market and the inclusion of Gorilla glass and NFC for £130 is good enough for me. If you want bells and whistles, spend more money.

Guest everett_psycho

Sounds like German for whales vagina.

Not bad for £130, a welcome new budget phone just in time for lots of people to replace their g300s. The ram could do with the boost, but for most people this would probably be fine for twitter and Facebook

Guest glossywhite

The phone is aimed at the budget market and the inclusion of Gorilla glass and NFC for £130 is good enough for me. If you want bells and whistles, spend more money.

Guess what has NFS and Gorilla glass? Yes, the San Diego, and it's only £99 (and far better specced!) :D

Guest rosco-85

Guess what has NFS and Gorilla glass? Yes, the San Diego, and it's only £99 (and far better specced!) :D

Better spec'd how? It has a smaller screen and has doesn't have dual-core. Yes, it has more RAM and internal memory, but what's the point of 1GB RAM when the phone might not even need it? Most of the performance comes form the processor. Also the G510 comes with Jelly Bean which is known to run better than ICS and is less resource hungry. As soon as unlock codes become easily available, I'll be investing in one.

Edited by rosco-85

Guest Voxpop2011

... As soon as unlock codes become easily available, I'll be investing in one.

This article speculates on the possibility of the handset being available on other networks and sim free: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2260773/huawei-announces-the-ascend-g510-as-a-vodafone-exclusive Amazon UK currently has a listing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-mobile-Ascend-sim-free-unbranded/dp/B00B5LQDA4

Guest kyan31

San Diego=locked boot loader

Thats a no go for most buyers, while not everyone will be using custom ROMs or mods, its nice to have the option anyway to unlock the bootloader.

Guest Simon O

San Diego=locked boot loader

Thats a no go for most buyers, while not everyone will be using custom ROMs or mods, its nice to have the option anyway to unlock the bootloader.

^this. And I had one myself. We managed to find ways to modify the system so we could remove crapware and make some modifications but complete roms.. impossible.

I don't miss it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.