Asus' FonePad launches in the UK tomorrow

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Is it a phone? Is it a tablet? Er, well, yes. The Asus FonePad 7" phone / tablet launches in the UK tomorrow.

The device, available to preorder now from Amazon UK for immediate dispatch on release, is priced at £179.99 - undercutting it's Nexus 7 3G sibling by a cool £60.

Specs wise, the FonePad looks good, it packs:

• Android 4.1
  • 7" WXGA (1280x800) IPS screen
  • Intel® Atom™ Z2420 1.2 GHz
  • 1GB RAM
  • 16GB ROM
  • HSPA+ UL:5.76 Mbps/DL:21 Mbps
  • 3G / WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100
  • 2G EDGE/GSM : 850/900/1800/1900,
  • 802.11 b/g/n wireless
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • 1.2 Megapixel front facing camera
  • 1 x Micro USB
  • 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
  • 1 x Micro SD Card Reader
  • 1 x 3.5mm headphone socket
  • 1 x Micro SIM
  • GPS & Glonass, G-Sensor, E-compass, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor
  • 16Wh Li-polymer Battery
  • 751 hours(3G) standby
  • 32.5 hours(3G) talk time
  • 196.4 x 120.1 x 10.4 mm

Key points of interest for me are the Intel processor, the metallic back, the microSD expansion and of course the ability to make phone calls. The downside? You won't be as bang-up-to-date OS wise as you are on the Nexus.

On my Nexus 3G my 'non mobile broadband' SIM is not permitted onto the network because the device isn't technically a phone... i'll be interested to see if that's the case with the FonePad.

Yes, i've pre-ordered one and i'm really looking forward to doing a side by side comparison with the Nexus 7 3G. What are your thoughts on the device? Are you preordering?

You can read more and see more images at the Asus website.

13VfY.jpeg

Click here to view the item

Guest T39andcounting

I was planning on getting one of these while the spec still seemed to include a rear facing camera, but now that's removed from the EU version its off my shopping list. If it's a phone, then I don't see why they think people wouldn't want a rear camera! Or why Europeans wouldn't want a rear camera!

Guest unrandomsam

Wonder why they used that CPU - Medfield Z2460 is clocked higher.

(I know they won't support Linux on Atom Z2760 which would be the obvious choice due to Microsoft).

I think it will be updated with a new atom very shortly and then I might get one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.