• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Asus' FonePad launches in the UK tomorrow

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is it a phone? Is it a tablet? Er, well, yes. The Asus FonePad 7" phone / tablet launches in the UK tomorrow.

The device, available to preorder now from Amazon UK for immediate dispatch on release, is priced at £179.99 - undercutting it's Nexus 7 3G sibling by a cool £60.

Specs wise, the FonePad looks good, it packs:

• Android 4.1
  • 7" WXGA (1280x800) IPS screen
  • Intel® Atom™ Z2420 1.2 GHz
  • 1GB RAM
  • 16GB ROM
  • HSPA+ UL:5.76 Mbps/DL:21 Mbps
  • 3G / WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100
  • 2G EDGE/GSM : 850/900/1800/1900,
  • 802.11 b/g/n wireless
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • 1.2 Megapixel front facing camera
  • 1 x Micro USB
  • 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
  • 1 x Micro SD Card Reader
  • 1 x 3.5mm headphone socket
  • 1 x Micro SIM
  • GPS & Glonass, G-Sensor, E-compass, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor
  • 16Wh Li-polymer Battery
  • 751 hours(3G) standby
  • 32.5 hours(3G) talk time
  • 196.4 x 120.1 x 10.4 mm

Key points of interest for me are the Intel processor, the metallic back, the microSD expansion and of course the ability to make phone calls. The downside? You won't be as bang-up-to-date OS wise as you are on the Nexus.

On my Nexus 3G my 'non mobile broadband' SIM is not permitted onto the network because the device isn't technically a phone... i'll be interested to see if that's the case with the FonePad.

Yes, i've pre-ordered one and i'm really looking forward to doing a side by side comparison with the Nexus 7 3G. What are your thoughts on the device? Are you preordering?

You can read more and see more images at the Asus website.

13VfY.jpeg

Click here to view the item

Posted

I was planning on getting one of these while the spec still seemed to include a rear facing camera, but now that's removed from the EU version its off my shopping list. If it's a phone, then I don't see why they think people wouldn't want a rear camera! Or why Europeans wouldn't want a rear camera!

Posted

That is a weird decision...

P

Posted

I would love one of these.

Posted

might get one of these. not as a phone of course but a well(ish) specified 3G tab

Posted

Could this be a sign of an updated Nexus 7 3G? Slightly bumped specs, different CPU, missing rear camera.

Posted

Wonder why they used that CPU - Medfield Z2460 is clocked higher.

(I know they won't support Linux on Atom Z2760 which would be the obvious choice due to Microsoft).

I think it will be updated with a new atom very shortly and then I might get one.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MoDaCo is part of the MoDaCo.network, © Paul O'Brien 2002-2015. MoDaCo uses IntelliTxt technology.