Bargain Watch: Huawei Y300 from £59.95

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

We like our bargains and we like our Huawei devices here at MoDaCo so when we found out that Carphone Warehouse are going to be selling the Huawei Y300 for under £70 we had to tell you all about it!

For those that don't know what this device is, the Y300 is similar to the G510 recently released by Vodafone for £130 plus top-up. The differences between the two devices are minimal - The Y300 has a 1GHz Dual-Core processor and a 4" screen whereas the G510 has a 1.2GHz Dual-Core processor and a 4.5" screen.

Is it worth paying double for an extra 200MHz and the slightly larger screen? We don't think so!

The device runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, has 512MB RAM, a 4" 480x800 screen, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and 4GB storage expandable to 32GB with a microSD card. A 5MP camera can be found on the back with a VGA camera on the front. Not bad specs for the price, although we would had preferred 1GB RAM with Jelly Bean.

Carphone Warehouse will allow you to buy the device on pay as you go for as low as £59.95 if you have an existing pay as you go SIM active on the major networks. If you don't currently have an active SIM or you wish to buy one for a friend or relative then it will cost you £69.95. And for those of you that like contracts then the phone will be available on contracts for a low price of £7.50 per month.

Currently there are no details to be found on the Carphone Warehouse website apart from a 'Register your Interest' page but we have it on good authority (well, the shinyshiny.tv newsletter) that this price is correct and will be available in-store from Thursday 6th June 2013.

05-Jun-2013_Huawei-Ascend-Y300.jpg

View full item

You can already get the phone on contract now from £7/month: http://www.carphonew...ame=Huawei Y300 Btw, this phone has cortex a5, the g510 has cortex a9 which is a lot faster so it isn't just 200mhz in reality, still nice though :)

All the affordable contracts are for 2yrs.

Here is the sourcecode for the rom: http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcxNDI=

Hopefully someone will make a stock cynagenmod 10.0 rom for it, would be great to get rid of the junkware and horrible u.i and have a stock android 4.1 image.

Edited by Guest

Guest KenBW2

Here is the sourcecode for the rom: http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcxNDI=

Hopefully someone will make a stock cynagenmod 10.0 rom for it, would be great to get rid of the junkware and horrible u.i and have a stock android 4.1 image.

Anyone know how compatible G510 ROMs are on the Y300? Can they be flashed straight, or do they need minor adjustment?

Guest mrrog

Didn't I see a comment from the author on hukd that the g510 was a god awful fine and avoid like the plague, as this one has even less grunt should we be considering?

Was on the verge og getting an acer liquid e1 duo from expansys yesterday for £150 till i saw this, in a real quandary!

Guest KenBW2

Didn't I see a comment from the author on hukd that the g510 was a god awful fine and avoid like the plague, as this one has even less grunt should we be considering?

Was on the verge og getting an acer liquid e1 duo from expansys yesterday for £150 till i saw this, in a real quandary!

As an owner of a G510 I wouldn't say that at all. The processor makes the phone nippy. Only lacking is the 512MB RAM, but you know the deal with that

Guest Simon O

Yes and for £140 it is awful. But this is more than half the price which makes it a better buy.

Guest KenBW2

Yes and for £140 it is awful. But this is more than half the price which makes it a better buy.

I know you've had one yourself, but "awful" seems a little harsh for £130 (£10 topup doesn't apply on the website).

Agreed more memory would have made it a killer, but even so it's still reasonable.

That said, I've got me a Y300 too

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.