How to slim down Stock+ ROM ?

Guest derei

Guest derei

After I installed a Stock+ ROM, in tried to slim it down (I also replaced some apps with others that I preffered). But I'm thinking if I can remove more of the apps... so, I provided a screenshot with all System Apps that are installed at this moment.

As I don't know which ones are needed for correct functionality and which one can be disposed of, maybe you can help me with this. Maybe all of them are required... i don't know.

(I'm guessing that DSP Manager, Home screen tips, and maybe others can be removed without affecting the functionality).

Please excuse me if this seem a dumb topic.

Thank you very much.

System Services - preview

post-983954-0-43213000-1371304788_thumb.

Guest TangerineTractor
After I installed a Stock+ ROM, in tried to slim it down (I also replaced some apps with others that I preffered). But I'm thinking if I can remove more of the apps... so, I provided a screenshot with all System Apps that are installed at this moment.

As I don't know which ones are needed for correct functionality and which one can be disposed of, maybe you can help me with this. Maybe all of them are required... i don't know.

(I'm guessing that DSP Manager, Home screen tips, and maybe others can be removed without affecting the functionality).

Please excuse me if this seem a dumb topic.

Thank you very much.

System Services - preview

post-983954-0-43213000-1371304788_thumb.

I get rid of all the system stood I don't use after installing a rom using rom toolbox...

So I'll remove stuff like Google talk that I never use.

Guest derei

I get rid of all the system stood I don't use after installing a rom using rom toolbox...

So I'll remove stuff like Google talk that I never use.

As you can see in the image, Google Talk isn't there anymore. So, please, if you think that you can help me, stick to the apps listed in the image. Because those are the ones that exist at this moment. All I want to know is if are some that CAN be removed safely.

Thanks.

Guest tillaz

you do know that removing more stuff from the system does not give more room for app installs?

as the system partition is different to what your installed apps use (data partition)

here i have marked all the things you can safely delete,

post-913969-0-53913400-1371329875_thumb.

Guest derei

you do know that removing more stuff from the system does not give more room for app installs?

as the system partition is different to what your installed apps use (data partition)

here i have marked all the things you can safely delete,

post-913969-0-53913400-1371329875_thumb.

I want to remove apps to ensure more available ram. I think this is a valid thinking, because the more apps are loaded by the system, the more ram is used...

By the way: thank you very much for marking those which are not essential !

Guest derei

I still need some clarifications about what some apps do. I searched the internet for them, but I couldn't find much, so please don't be harsh on me for showing such ignorance.

The apps are:

• Exchange Services - (i'm guessing is related to email server traffic related, but does Gmail work without? as I am not using other email service than Gmail and not planning to use any other in the future)
  • MMI Test II - i understand that's for testing the hardware
  • ProjectMenuAct - have no idea
  • Wiper App - have no idea

• My Calendar - does this work in junction with Calendar / Calendar Storage apps, or is a different service?

Also, what is 2D Home ?

Thank you.

Guest hippy dave

Yeah if you just use the gmail app you don't need exchange services.

2d home is the default launcher, you need it unless you use another launcher.

Guest derei

Yeah if you just use the gmail app you don't need exchange services.

2d home is the default launcher, you need it unless you use another launcher.

Thank you.

What about the rest of them (ProjectMenuAct, Wiper App, My calendar-explanation ) ? Can you provide any info? Or anybody else can?

Guest oldfella

I want to remove apps to ensure more available ram.

----------

you wont get more available ram as you are reducing the system area

Guest derei

----------

you wont get more available ram as you are reducing the system area

But Android doesn't seem to work like Windows works... in Windows, any application that is not used, just stays put on the hard-drive. As I could see, in Android, the apps are "alive" most of the time, populating RAM memory... even if I use them or not, they are ther... So, I was thinking that if I remove some of them, those removed won't be using RAM anymore...

Am I wrong here? If so, why I find all the time a lot of apps runing in memory even if I never started them?

Guest kyan31

But Android doesn't seem to work like Windows works... in Windows, any application that is not used, just stays put on the hard-drive. As I could see, in Android, the apps are "alive" most of the time, populating RAM memory... even if I use them or not, they are ther... So, I was thinking that if I remove some of them, those removed won't be using RAM anymore...

Am I wrong here? If so, why I find all the time a lot of apps runing in memory even if I never started them?

Most system apps never use RAM so it's a waste to delete them. Actually, the only 2 system processes that use use RAM are the SystemUI and Framework-res, but they are vital to the system so you should definitely leave those alone.

As others have said, it is pointless - free ram is wasted ram. Plus as you are gaining no usable space because the apps reside on the /system partition you are better off just freezing an app to stop it being cached if you really must stop it (not that this cached app would make any difference to system performance anyway.)

Edited by Cyda