Official Android 4.3 JW66V build

Guest comicbookguy

Guest comicbookguy

ok, so the official build is out there, and so is the ".84" radio required to install it, so here are my experiences so far....

using Wugs toolkit, i tried to flash the official .tgz file, which gave the error ".84 radio required to install"

after finding the new radio on xda, i installed the .img file and then the .tgz thru wug and rebooted.

first thing: WOW alll the screen lag is gone! no more waiting for characters to appear when typing on the keyboard

it's a new factory install so all my data is deleted and i'm currently in the process of putting all my sd card data back on so i can root, then i'll report back on restoring titanium backups (if it's possible :/)

Bluebox lists BOTH security bugs as patched out of the box!

Edit: found some Battery mods: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2377768 (1% mod from post 3 tested and working)

post-862200-0-71490000-1374696177_thumb.

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest comicbookguy

there's definately a new baseband radio. i'll post a screenshot of the "about" screen in a sec, but i'm in the middle of trying to root at the moment..

superboot wont even install

Wugs won't root it yet (SU binary won't update)

trying this: http://download.chai...130625-1.41.zip

which works!

currently restoring backups... TB is VERY buggy. hanging on almost everything and probably causing the UID mismatch errors im having on reboot

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Sn0warmy

there's definately a new baseband radio. i'll post a screenshot of the "about" screen in a sec, but i'm in the middle of trying to root at the moment..

superboot wont even install

Wugs won't root it yet (SU binary won't update)

trying this: http://download.chai...130625-1.41.zip

which works!

currently restoring backups!

Yeah, I'm ready to give this a try as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a PC to use Wugs toolkit. Trying to find a way to get this handled on a Mac now.

Guest k0nrad

I am on it now, it seems smoother, but I am too spoiled by extras from the MCR, so I will flash back to 4.2.2 and wait for Paul's new release I guess.

BTW - Helium backups restored from Drive with no hitch - a decision to ditch Titanium (or at least cover both bases) was a good one.

Yeah, I'm ready to give this a try as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a PC to use Wugs toolkit. Trying to find a way to get this handled on a Mac now.

The SuperSU for S4 GPe's 4.3 leak works and you can just flash it from recovery. No dice with trying other SU solutions in my experience.

Edited by k0nrad

Guest comicbookguy

I am on it now, it seems smoother, but I am too spoiled by extras from the MCR, so I will flash back to 4.2.2 and wait for Paul's new release I guess.

BTW - Helium backups restored from Drive with no hitch - a decision to ditch Titanium (or at least cover both bases) was a good one.

The SuperSU for S4 GPe's 4.3 leak works and you can just flash it from recovery. No dice with trying other SU solutions in my experience.

that SuperSu works better in TWRP than CM. Iv'e switched now! I might try an alternative to TB too as it's been getting less reliable lately.

The extras will come - i've already updated the first post with battery % mods and there's an AOSP rom with EPM in another page on here.

I've been getting great battery life with stock kernel today - better than MCMCR with Franco kernel. (I've even been able to turn off a Llama profile i had that turned data off when the screen was asleep!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest masterpfa
that SuperSu works better in TWRP than CM. Iv'e switched now! I might try an alternative to TB too as it's been getting less reliable lately.I've been getting great battery life with stock kernel today - better than MCMCR with Franco kernel. (I've even been able to turn off a Llama profile i had that turned data off when the screen was asleep!)
How has the upgrade worked for you since originally posting?Are you still happy with your 4.3 experience. I eventually upgraded but did not wish to lose my data. I managed to sideload and regain root using SU 1.43 which has since been updated to 1.51. Subsequently I ended up via TWRP flashing a Deoxed 4.3 Stock ROM the rooting again using SU. I have yet to see significant battery gains (running stock kernel and .84 radio which for my uses has resulted in poorer phone reception at home and in my local area) Edited by masterpfa

Guest comicbookguy

the user experience was great, lovely and smooth, but i've been using headphones a lot the past fortnight and the volume on stock with stock kernel is unuseable (i normally run Franco's kernel, but volume boost isnt enabled in it on 4.3 yet).

a2dp volume is better, but neither are as good as MCMCR. those 2 combined are a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

also i missed more of the modaco/cyanogenmod tweaks than i was expecting to.

i was going to try CM 10.2 nighlys this weekend, but now Paul says updates are coming i may wait.