ZTE Blade V - budget quad core phone coming to the UK

Guest Simon O

Guest wrtease

well its what you pay for ,you get nothing more .looks a good backup phone .it will be out tomorrow and will be a good seller for the budget buyer.il wait for people to buy it then get it at cash gens as usual lol

Guest cmberry20

ZTE need to release a Skate 2. My wife has my old Skate & the poor thing is just too slow compared to a lot of new budget phones.

However, the Skate does benefit from the 4.3" screen, Once you use a phone with a 4.3"+ screen you can never go lower imo.

Therefore, I wouldnt really consider the Blade V. I might if it really had good specs, but its quite 'meh' across the board.

Might have to save up & get the 8GB Nexus for the wife.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_4_8_GB?id=nexus_4_8gb&hl=en_GB

IMO - the BEST sub £200 phone on the market.

Guest doncoop

Got the Y300 for the missus

i uninstalled:

huawei home

huawei lock screen

their widget

few other apps

installed holo launcher

works good for the £54 paid for it

Admit 1gb of ram would have made a huge difference. But she only really sees lags when big things are in the memory.

When she quits rubbish like FB and candy crush she just needs to wipe them from the system and its OK.

Would I have chosen this for her if it was SIM free? defo

But I still dont knock what you get from the Y300

Guest Maringer

There's no chance for your favorite AOSP based ROM (CyanogenMod, AOKP, AOSPA, RootBox, PAC, and the list goes on) on MediaTek platform, when there's no such problem with Qualcomm devices. Performance-wise msm8x25q should be in par with recent MediaTek quad-core platforms. And SGX544 GPU used in those is ancient too.

Apparently, Sony have just released full source code for the MTK6589 chipset:

http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/xperia-open-source-archives/open-source-archive-for-build-16-0-a-0-36/

This could, perhaps be useful for people attempting to develop ROMs for the many cheaper MTK devices?

Not much use for me, however, as my FAEA F1 uses Qualcomm 8225q (or possibly 8625q). No source code released for this as yet, however, so I'm surprised that you mentioned it is easier to develop for Qualcomm devices? My understanding was the the quad Cortex-A5 devices didn't have any source available for them.

Speaking of my F1, it leaves me pretty unimpressed with the specs of the Blade V - the F1 has a 4.5" 720p screen as well as NFC support and I paid just a little over £100 for mine though, of course, I did have to order it from FAEA in China.

A good and well-built phone, slightly limited by the odd bug in the ROM but it remains to be seen whether FAEA will release a 4.2 ROM as promised. Incidentally, performance of the quad-A5s is a fair bit lower than the MTK6589 chips. Cortex-A7s in the MTK chips are faster than the Cortex-A5s and the PowerVR GPU is quite a bit more powerful than the Adreno 203.

Guest targetbsp

This looks fantastic for the money! Highly likely to tempt me back to ZTE and hopefully back here if we can get another good community going. XDA just isn't the same. :(

Might have to save up & get the 8GB Nexus for the wife.

IMO - the BEST sub £200 phone on the market.

Its big problem is no sd slot. I'm already using 21gb of sd space

well its what you pay for ,you get nothing more .

How do you account for (as mentioned in the first post) HTC selling a similar specced phone for 3 times the price? One of the manufacturers customers aren't getting what they pay for!

Guest KonstaT

Apparently, Sony have just released full source code for the MTK6589 chipset:

http://developer.son...ld-16-0-a-0-36/

This could, perhaps be useful for people attempting to develop ROMs for the many cheaper MTK devices?

Not much use for me, however, as my FAEA F1 uses Qualcomm 8225q (or possibly 8625q). No source code released for this as yet, however, so I'm surprised that you mentioned it is easier to develop for Qualcomm devices? My understanding was the the quad Cortex-A5 devices didn't have any source available for them.

Lol, not even close. :D That's 203mb of download, full Android source is 8gb or might be even more nowadays. It has kernel source and some other bits with copyleft licences that Sony usually releases (because they're great :)). There's been better partial source drops for MediaTek before. Nothing that would even come close to building viable AOSP based ROMs. You are probably just confused with kernel source code and Android platform source code.

Qualcomm releases full source code for their platforms in Code Aurora. Latest release for MSM8225Q is Android 4.1 from June 3rd and you can download the source on tag M8625QSOSKMLYA31201C. If your device manufacturer hasn't released a kernel source for your msm8x25q device, you should contact them and request them to release it (it's GPL, they're legally obligated to provide it).

Guest cmberry20

My wife doesn't use much space at all. 8gb of space would be plenty. Because the Blade V specs aren't that impressive the Nexus 4 is leagues ahead of it.

Here's food for thought, the Blade V has the same resolution screen as the first blade but has a smaller dpi. Plus I bet the Blade 1 oled screen is better.

Guest Maringer

Lol, not even close. :D That's 203mb of download, full Android source is 8gb or might be even more nowadays. It has kernel source and some other bits with copyleft licences that Sony usually releases (because they're great :)). There's been better partial source drops for MediaTek before. Nothing that would even come close to building viable AOSP based ROMs. You are probably just confused with kernel source code and Android platform source code.

Qualcomm releases full source code for their platforms in Code Aurora. Latest release for MSM8225Q is Android 4.1 from June 3rd and you can download the source on tag M8625QSOSKMLYA31201C. If your device manufacturer hasn't released a kernel source for your msm8x25q device, you should contact them and request them to release it (it's GPL, they're legally obligated to provide it).

Ah, didn't realise that much more source code was required. I'd just seen a link elsewhere pointing to the Sony MTK stuff and thought I should mention it.

As for my F1 phone, others have already requested the source code without any reply from FAEA. The joys of buying from China, I suppose. No point in me asking as well as I don't have either the coding experience or time to help with enthusiast ROMs. Not to mention the fact that I was crap at coding in the first place when at University a couple of decades ago! ;)

Guest lazyliam

Lol love the comment above just checking myself thinking same thing I'm itching to get one galaxy s struggling bad with jb and 512 ram plus gets me of that aloof xda lol miss this place and the original blade days :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.