[DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3.1) for ZTE V9

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

this is a CyanogenMod 10.2 based ROM for ZTE V9 - the resistive screen model. NOTE this is NOT an official CyanogenMod rom. it is likely to have bugs and be incomplete and to eat all your data. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. having said that, it seems stable and fast and better than cm10.1 in every way. this is the rom I use daily.

post-1008487-0-19664900-1378890580_thumbpost-1008487-0-18275500-1378890712_thumb

cm-10.2-20131226-PenguinKANG-v9.zip  (goo.gl/Tg1kuF) from mega or goo.gl/HU3nHU from yandex.
md5sum d857bf0ff0130a46830ccf7492857c08

get gapps from KonstaT's 4.3 blade thread here (gapps link is in the first post).

use this ClockworkMod Recovery which uses the home/menu/back touch screen buttons.
md5sum 302fa9d7f8b7bdbb76ad5e73c6d5e582

Downloading
the download site mega has significant cpu and memory usage, so downloading the rom directly to your v9 is unlikely to work. download to a PC and then transfer the rom zip to the v9's sdcard.

the yandex link is plain http and stands a good chance of downloading directly to a v9.
NOTE: no matter what the source - always check that the md5sum is correct!

Installing

boot to CWM, backup, format /system, install the rom, install gapps

Important Notes
- backup all your v9 including /data and /sd-ext before trying this rom. it is highly likely that things will break if you flip back and forward between cm10.1 and cm10.2 using the same /data.
- you will need >190MB in /system to flash this rom (my .au Optus v9 has 220MB), and initial boot will take ~5mins
- this ROM is for the resistive screen V9's only - capacitive V9c touch screens won't work.
- there is not enough space in a 220MB /system partition for both gapps and Focal (~25MB) so Focal is not included. it doesn't really work anyway.
- as with all cm10.2 updates from previous versions, the phone shortcut will break. delete it and copy in a new one from apps
- if you are booting to a non-wiped /data then android will restart some services (including surfaceflinger) to complete the update and adb will stop working too. reboot the phone to fix adb.

Working
- everything?
- phone, sms, screen, etc.
- bluetooth (seems better than 10.1?)
- FM
- wifi tethering
- V9parts

Not working
- sometimes wifi doesn't set the default route the first time after boot - just turn wifi off and on again
- the maps view in eg. Maps and MyTracks sometimes flickers and jumps annoyingly.
- SELinux (will never work because of the ar6000.ko binary wifi/bt blob)
- Focal (never really worked and cm have removed it now anyway)

Noticable changes from cm10.1
- everything feels a bit faster?! I'm as shocked as you are...
- movie preview images work
- CM Account - ie. remote device locate and wipe
- Security->App ops where you can see what your apps are up to (also available as Security->PrivacyGuard->Advanced)
- early bootanim not distorted
- live wallpapers work
- all other android 4.3 and cm10.2 bugfixes, etc.

Transparent changes
- this rom is now based mostly on androidarmv6 repos

Minor Issues that affect all ARMv6 ports
- AOSP keyboard gesture typing doesn't (won't ever) work
- voice search from the google search app doesn't work. Voice search from browser is ok

suggestions and patches are welcome for all the above issues!!

Linking to and Mirroring this rom
it's both useful and fun for me to be able to see rom download stats. I get to see which roms are popular and where most of my users are. that helps me to focus my work where it does the most good.

• If you want to link to this rom from another forum then link to this post. please do not post other "more direct" links.
  • if you want to setup a mirror of the above rom then that's ok, but please only do it via a goo.gl link that you tell me about. ie. mirror, setup a goo.gl link to the mirror rom (or ask me to generate one for you), publish the goo.gl download link (along with a link to this post), and then send me the goo.gl url. thanks. if the mirrored file link is cryptographically unique (so it can't be trojan'd later) then I'm also happy to publish it as an "official" alternate download link.

Building
- all sources and instructions are on my github

ChangeLog
 - refresh upstream to cm10.2 final (android 4.3.1)
 - includes whisperpush for secure SMS

- I ported llvm/libbcc/RenderScript etc. to armv6
- so LiveWallpapers now work (which makes me happy, but possibly nobody else cares) :)
- fixed texture corruption in standard LiveWallpapers
- forced hardware graphics - not sure if this is a slight win or loss.
- refreshed CM from upstream

- fixed early bootanimation distortion
- upstream update to Android 4.3.1

- fixed FM
- included Effem
- fixed wifi tethering
- CyanogenMod fixed DeviceParts
- built with gcc 4.8

20130910 - initial release
- the usual patches for electronbeam rotation, faster wifi reconnect, gesture keyboard crash, ...
- fix armv6 alignment that was crashing com.android.phone
- fix ath6k wifi module load sleep required before scanning
- fix crash when selinux disabled
- change build to use mostly androidarmv6 upstream

Many thanks to all those working on CyanogenMod and armv6 and especially to the androidarmv6 folks and to KonstaT, legaCyMod

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Where's?still under construction pbp? :rolleyes:

definitely still under construction. however the immediate problem was that modaco wasn't working from australia - everything timed out. I had to edit the post via another country.

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

definitely still under construction. however the immediate problem was that modaco wasn't working from australia - everything timed out. I had to edit the post via another country.

Aouch..:o what about with tapatalk ?cant acces?

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

I've updated the first post as I think bluetooth is ok in the rom too. it works fine with the bluetooth keyboard I have here - no scanning issues or connection dramas, but I might just have got lucky. unfortunately I don't have any other bt devices to test with... <_<

can someone please try to connect to eg. a bluetooth headset and report back?

I used the initial connection/scanning method that folks have found to work best with cm10.1:

- start with bt off

- drag down the quick settings panel

- hold down the bluetooth icon

- that pops up the bt settings screen

- turn on bt

thanks.

Thank you :) excellent offer once more.

I tried to install but ... I get the messsage:

Installing update...

assert failed: getprop ("ro.product.device") == "v9" || getprop ("ro.build.product") == "v9"

E: error in /sdcard/cm-10.2-20130910.zip

(status 7)

installation aborted

Any idea?

Edited by faji

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

assert failed: getprop ("ro.product.device") == "v9" || getprop ("ro.build.product") == "v9"

E: error in /sdcard/cm-10.2-20130910.zip

(status 7)

installation aborted

usually it means you have the wrong CWM recovery installed on the phone.

the variables above are set in recovery and are checked by the rom before installing to make sure that the phone matches the rom.

what is your cwm version?

if you have adb setup then

adb shell

getprop | grep product

and amongst those listed you should see the two above are set to 'v9' by your recovery image.

also, the zip name above doesn't match the zip I uploaded - have you modified the zip? in which case all bets are off :)

what is your cwm version? --> 4.0.1.5

also, the zip name above doesn't match the zip I uploaded - have you modified the zip? in which case all bets are off :) --> no I didn't :)

I'll try to update the recovery

edit: does anyone have instructions to install a newer recovery?

Edited by faji

it should be as simple as installing the zip from here.

Thank you :)

I can't use the new recovery :( !@#!#$@#$

It returns my selection to reboot system now (it ignores my selection every time)

Moved back to 4.0 recovery :(

I'll try adb instead..

Found this newer version of the recovery (5.0.2.8) here: http://old.port-andr...org-zte-v9.html

@ PBP Just flashed your file on my V9 sucessfully :)

Edited by faji

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

I can't use the new recovery :( !@#!#$@#$

It returns my selection to reboot system now (it ignores my selection every time)

these newer recovery images seem to confuse everyone to start with - they are touch recoveries. the UI changed.

use the home touch button to select, and the back touch button (or power) to go back, and as before use volume up/down to go up/down in the menus.

@ PBP Just flashed your file on my V9 sucessfully

ok - let me know if you find something else that's not working.

BTW - if anyone wants to help out then porting V9parts to cmhw (eg. like this) might be a neat little project - it's only java - how hard can it be? :) Just fork and then send me a github pull request.

Bluetooth is working fine with my earpiece. It connects and disconnects successfully each time :) (has a better sound quality too)

Wifi tethering is not working

Edited by faji

Guest cork_power

Hi!

I was eager to test this but already noticed that wifi teather is not working. This is one of the tasks I use extensively in the V9 so will only try a ROM which includes this feature.

Thanks again for all your good work!!

Guest mufidfathul

I've tried this...it amazed me that run faster then your ROM 10.1. Bravo...But  Totally I've not tested yet all features. The problem that I face with this Rom is I can't run a2sd dark tremor like your Rom 10. Although you have mentioned that there is no difference between ROM 10 and ROM 10.1 but practically differ. I can run a2sd on ROM 10.1 easely but your ROM 10 and the new one 10.2 always truck on android logo...as you know after installaion my  internal memory  only a few left so a2sd become urgent fot me. But BTW thanks for your unimagineable effort ...

Guest dusttoyz

Hi pbp!

i tried to DL this ROM for nth times but it always stops at 11%. i'm currently using your cm 10.1 i realy want to try this ROM. :mellow:

Im wondering if the link is stil ok?

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

I can run a2sd on ROM 10.1 easely but your ROM 10 and the new one 10.2 always truck on android logo...

I use my own system to move apps to /data (a bind mount in the initramfs that mounts a directory in a sd card partition onto /data), so I don't know anything about a2sd, s2e, mount2sd, etc.

have a look at the new KonstaT cm10.2 on blade thread - some people there seem to like int2ext+ (see page 3)

i tried to DL this ROM for nth times but it always stops at 11%. i'm currently using your cm 10.1 i realy want to try this ROM. :mellow:

Im wondering if the link is stil ok?

I tried a download after your first message and it worked fine. anyone else seeing this?

mega downloads are quite machine intensive so I wouldn't recommend downloading it directly from mega using a browser on the v9.

maybe try using a different computer to download it?

I guess there's a slight possibility that mega has a problem with their file replication which might show up from different geographies, but I'd have thought that would lead to truncated files rather than the download stopping... if a bunch of people are seeing it stop at 11% then I'll re-upload it.

Guest mufidfathul

I tried a download after your first message and it worked fine. anyone else seeing this?

mega downloads are quite machine intensive so I wouldn't recommend downloading it directly from mega using a browser on the v9.

maybe try using a different computer to download it?

I guess there's a slight possibility that mega has a problem with their file replication which might show up from different geographies, but I'd have thought that would lead to truncated files rather than the download stopping... if a bunch of people are seeing it stop at 11% then I'll re-upload it.

In my experience, I cann't download it using directly from my v9 using within all browsing  or using firefox browser using computer (always stuck on 11%). I use google chrome to download it from mega....

Edited by mufidfathul

Guest Morfiy_by

First of all I want to thank you for your work. Here's my review, if I may say so. After the first boot, reaching the choice of language, the tablet is left in the boot.

The speed CM10 better, remember to 10.1, but the feeling that it gives too, is evident in the movement up and down the shutter with noticeable twitching. Keyboard AOSP brakes. Established native, old, reliable TouchPal 1.0 (since 2.1) - brakes less, but not ideal. With unlock, or rather with the output from sleep button power - the same problem as in the 10.1 - does not respond right away.

Bluetooth keyboard with Rapoo E6300 connected, clicked on the keys - says disabled ... reconnected within five minutes failed. However, with this keyboard have always been a problem for CM10 it work better. The second Mini Bluetooth Keybord well and joined by reconnecting issues have arisen.

It can be concluded about the normal functioning of Bluetooth.

Here's what's going on with Opera Mini? Text and images lined up in a thin vertical strip and to consider increasing nothing is impossible.

The difference in the mapping between the CM10 and 10.2. First, as it were with inflated brightness, as if the camera picked up the exposure. I have always noticed, but now, going to 10.2 discovered that. You can fix this?

P.S. For more convenience for users' site 4pda.ru had to upload the image to a different file sharing. Since mainly injection takes place directly from the tablet.

Edited by Morfiy_by

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

After the first boot, reaching the choice of language, the tablet is left in the boot.

this looks like a google translate, and frankly google didn't do a good job 'cos I'm really struggling to understand much of this post, sorry  :( but thanks for taking the time to try the rom - I'll do my best to guess and reply ->

Re: initial boot:

the tablet reboots once if you are doing an update and not a clean install. that is part of the standard android 4.3 install procedure. it is mentioned in the first post.

Re: generally slow and slow keyboard:

do you have a completely working SIM in the v9? if not then performance will be crap. do this from cwm recovery ->

mount /system

echo persist.ril.enable=false >> /system/build.prop

umount /system

in general 10.2 seems faster than 10.1. likely 10 is faster still, but then again cm7 is probably faster than cm10. you get new features or you get speed - you can take your choice.

Re: slow screen power on:

it may be possible to improve that. I'll try to take a look.

Re: bluetooth:

bluetooth on cm10.2 is probably better than cm10.1, but not as good as cm10. this is a well known problem. AFAIK it is not fixable. google changed the bt stack and old devices are left stranded.

Re: opera mini:

sorry, no idea. I don't use it.

Re: camera exposure settings:

camera works fine for me. I haven't noticed anything odd. maybe your phone has different hardware to most, or more likely your phone has a bad setting - perhaps left from a previous cm version. can you please do a clean wipe/install and then try again?

P.S. For more convenience for users' site 4pda.ru had to upload the image to a different file sharing. Since mainly injection takes place directly from the tablet.

I don't quite understand what you mean. I hope it does not mean that you mirrored my rom to another site. please do not do that. there are few rewards for doing this rom and taking away goo.gl stats would make me very unhappy, and you don't want that do you? I might buy another phone...  :) 

downloading the rom using the v9 directly is not likely to work well. mega is secure, free, and has unlimited downloads, but it is also cpu and ram intensive.

however it is simple to download the rom to a PC and then copy the rom to the sdcard or transfer with adb.

if mega is a big problem for lots of people then I can look at trying another site... ???

Guest staman

Assuming you already have Root Access and that this is going to be a clean install and you have a backup of your SD Card.

1 - Reboot in to Clockwork Recovery

1.1 Power Button -> Reboot -> Reboot -> Recovery -> OK

2 - Cleaning Tablet (Menu navigation is done by the Volume buttons and confirmation is done by the Power button)

2.1 Wipe Data/Factory Reset -> Yes

2.2 Mounts And Storage -> Format /boot -> Yes

2.3 Mounts And Storage -> Format /system -> Yes

2.4 Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache -> Yes

2.5 Advanced -> Wipe Battery Stats -> Yes

3 - Partition SD Card (All the information in the SD Card Will Be Lost)

3.1 Advanced -> Partition SD Card -> 512MB -> 32MB -> Yes

4 - Copy ROM and Gapps to SD Card

4.1 Mounts And Storage -> Mount USB Storage

4.2 Copy ROM and Gapps from your Computer to your SD Card

4.3 Unmount

5 Flash ROM and Gapps

5.1 Install Zip from SD Card -> Choose Zip from SD Card -> Choose the ROM -> Yes

5.2 Install Zip from SD Card -> Choose Zip from SD Card -> Choose the Gapps -> Yes

5.3 Reboot System Now

i did all the above but i ca not install

symli: some symlinks faild

E:Error in /sdcard/cm-10.2-20130919-PenguinKANG-v9.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted

The only thing that i did because not described at this post is at :

3.1 Advanced -> Partition SD Card -> 512MB -> 0MB -> Yes

My card is 4Gb and i choose 512M and Swap size 0M

What i m doing wrong??????????

i use CWM by RusTog v5.0.2.8 and Rom manager 5.5.3.0

Edited by staman