How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Really looking forward to one of you clever guys putting together a windows solution. Joined up to find out how to root the Hudl-wasn't that fussed about doing it until I realised that to use my NTFS external drive I would require root access (as is my understanding). Really good work to have a root available for it so quickly, its just a shame I cant take advantage of it at the moment

Guest Grumpydev

Really looking forward to one of you clever guys putting together a windows solution. Joined up to find out how to root the Hudl-wasn't that fussed about doing it until I realised that to use my NTFS external drive I would require root access (as is my understanding). Really good work to have a root available for it so quickly, its just a shame I cant take advantage of it at the moment

Just use the alternative method detailed in this post - that works fine in windows.

Guest TheOne1974

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm a complete noob so please bear with me here as i am new to both Android and Linux (Ubuntu).

I purchased a Hudl, my first Android device and am strugling to get it rooted, please advise me as to what I need to do?

I have downloaded the package, extracted the zip into my downloads file, then opened a terminal window but then I get stuck. How do I open a terminal window to the extracted directory as stated in the instructions??

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated!!

Aaron

Thanks, Paul - worked a treat. Although it's mentioned later in the thread, it might be worth editing the top post to indicate that the rkflashtool executable in your download link is 64bit (I had to compile a 32bit version for my use)?

Guest CashMoney

Hello,

this unfortunately did not work for me.

BUT you can try this: http://www.mgyun.com/vroot

This actually works, it will detect your tablet (as it is Archos hardware) and apply a Chinese SU which you can then replace with an English SU from the market.

Cheers

Andrei

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2376077

Just thought I'd post (first post, Hi!) to say I've followed the VRoot guide and successfully rooted my Hudl. After following the guide in the link, I then hit play and downloaded SuperSU by Chainfire and had it replace the chinese version. So just in case it helps someone, here is what I did.

1) Followed the XDA forum guide as quoted above. Note that I had to do this on a 32bit Windows system. YMMV. When I tried (3 times) on a 64bit system, VRoot began a percentage count to "install" the Hudl. I'm assuming I had missing drivers or something. It never reached 100% and failed for me. In the end I used my old Acer Netbook with Windows 7 32bit, which also did the percentage thing, but reached 100% after about 3 minutes and rooted the Hudl perfectly.

2) On the Hudl, download SuperSU from play by Chainfire.

3) Go into your apps draw and open SuperSU.

4) You should be notified that there is an update and that there is an existing Superuser application. You'll be asked if you want to remove the existing application. Say yes, let SuperSU remove the old chinese app and then update itself.

5) Use something like Root Checker by Joeykrim to test if you have root. Note you may need to check more than once as the first time it failed for me due to SuperSU not popping up faster enough for Root Checker.

I did nothing other than that to get rooted. Happy Rooted Hudl user here :)

Guest greyrider

Trying to use the Chinese method. but I've hit a slight problem - likely down to the usual stupidity on my part - in that I'm lost as to where to switch on USB debugging on the Hudl, and I've looked. Without it VRoot isn't seeing the tablet.

Any clues, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and now you're rooted has anyone found how to turn off the boot sound? It stops me firing mine up in the middle of the night............

Guest glossywhite

Trying to use the Chinese method. but I've hit a slight problem - likely down to the usual stupidity on my part - in that I'm lost as to where to switch on USB debugging on the Hudl, and I've looked. Without it VRoot isn't seeing the tablet.

Any clues, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and now you're rooted has anyone found how to turn off the boot sound? It stops me firing mine up in the middle of the night............

Allow me to show you how to enable USB debugging:

• Go to app drawer and open Settings
  • Go to bottom and tap About tablet
  • Tap repeatedly Build number 7 times. Starting at 3rd tap, you'll see a toast saying You are now X steps away from being a developer.
  • After 7th tap, you should get a toast saying: You are now a developer! (If you keep tapping Build number, the toast will change to: No need, you are already a developer.)

Next, go back to Settings, and at the bottom you'll see:

{} Developer options

You'll find USB Debugging in there :)

~~~ HOW TO DISABLE BOOT SOUND ~~~

To disable the boot sound (you need to be rooted):

1/ Open command line, and do:

adb shell

(press return)

2/ Still in command line:

su

(press return) then..

## IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE RUN "su", YOU MAKE SEE A POPUP ASKING TO ALLOW IT - DO SO ##

Now do: 

mount -o remount rw /system

(press return)

3/ Finally:

mv /system/media/audio/boot.ogg /system/media/audio/boot.ogg.ORIG && reboot

(press return)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest hippy dave

Thanks for the tip about the boot sound!

I mentioned this elsewhere, but if anyone has multiple users configured on their Hudl, the Developer Options only appear when you're logged in as the primary user.

Guest glossywhite

@glossywhite - my hero! Many thank, I'll get to it soon as, cheers.

How kind of you to say that :) - I'm only passing on knowledge learnt from others.

You're welcome.

Guest TescoHudl

Allow me to show you how to enable USB debugging:

• Go to app drawer and open Settings
  • Go to bottom and tap About tablet
  • Tap repeatedly Build number 7 times. Starting at 3rd tap, you'll see a toast saying You are now X steps away from being a developer.
  • After 7th tap, you should get a toast saying: You are now a developer! (If you keep tapping Build number, the toast will change to: No need, you are already a developer.)

Next, go back to Settings, and at the bottom you'll see:

{} Developer options

You'll find USB Debugging in there :)

~~~ HOW TO DISABLE BOOT SOUND ~~~

To disable the boot sound (you need to be rooted):

1/ Open command line, and do:

adb shell

(press return)

2/ Still in command line:

su

(press return) then..

## IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE RUN "su", YOU MAKE SEE A POPUP ASKING TO ALLOW IT - DO SO ##

Now do: 

(press return)

3/ Finally:

(press return)

Is it possible to remove the boot sound within Windows, or even, through the device itself? I don't really want to make another bootable Ubuntu USB and go over the ultra complicated process of getting it to work properly on my computer, just to remove a simple sound at startup...

Is it possible to remove the boot sound within Windows, or even, through the device itself? I don't really want to make another bootable Ubuntu USB and go over the ultra complicated process of getting it to work properly on my computer, just to remove a simple sound at startup...

You can do it from Windows, ADB works on all desktop platforms. Just setup ADB and then type all the above commands at a command line (Start>Run>"cmd.exe").

Alternatively, and probably much more simply (assuming you don't already have ADB setup), you can just install the app "Terminal Emulator" on the device itself and enter the commands (except for "adb shell") there. So you would load the app and type:

su

The final alternative (and depending on your level of comfort with command lines, perhaps the simplest/most appealing) is to install a root file explorer (such as Root Browser), open it up (granting it root permissions, of course) and then browse to /system/media/audio and manually rename "boot.ogg" to something else. Then just reboot. The only issue I can think of that might arise with this method is if Root Browser doesn't remount /system - I know some root file explorers do, but can't remember off hand which free ones do. If Root Browser won't let you rename the file, just get terminal emulator and do the above.

Edited by SifJar

Guest glossywhite

Don't be such a wimp! :P

There's nothing "ultra complicated" about typing; you've just done some, and no doubt will do a lot more in your life. A black screen should not scare you - it might even teach you new skills, but even if you have NO interest in working in the command line, all you have to do is open up a command prompt and paste in the commands.

Back in the 80's when I started using BBC Micros in primary school, a black screen and text was ALL you saw or used - we were PRIMARY school children. 

With all the greatest of respect, man up and just do it - don't expect any hand holding - you aren't being asked to calculate the trajectory of a rocket launch - this is simple copy/paste and you're not going to cause any harm; these are commands written by people well versed in such things, and whom know what they're doing, so rest assured - take it slowly (over a coffee?) and don't panic, just because it's not a pretty chunky UI :p

Adios! :)

Don't be such a wimp! :P

There's nothing "ultra complicated" about typing; you've just done some, and no doubt will do a lot more in your life. A black screen should not scare you - it might even teach you new skills, but even if you have NO interest in working in the command line, all you have to do is open up a command prompt and paste in the commands.

Back in the 80's when I started using BBC Micros in primary school, a black screen and text was ALL you saw or used - we were PRIMARY school children. 

With all the greatest of respect, man up and just do it - don't expect any hand holding - you aren't being asked to calculate the trajectory of a rocket launch - this is simple copy/paste and you're not going to cause any harm; these are commands written by people well versed in such things, and whom know what they're doing, so rest assured - take it slowly (over a coffee?) and don't panic, just because it's not a pretty chunky UI :P

Adios! :)

It's not that he is adversed to command lines I don't think, it's that he doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting Ubuntu running again. He was asking if it was possible on Windows, meaning the OS, he wasn't asking for a GUI based application to do it ;) He just didn't realise that ADB works in Windows too.

Guest glossywhite

It's not that he is adversed to command lines I don't think, it's that he doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting Ubuntu running again. He was asking if it was possible on Windows, meaning the OS, he wasn't asking for a GUI based application to do it ;) He just didn't realise that ADB works in Windows too.

Didn't read (my error - too tired)

Fair enough. Learning CMD is good too - relying on a GUI is unwise.

@SifJar Thank you for the links in your post, I used to have the Android SDK installed on Windows many moons ago and I had forgotten altogether about 'terminal emulator.' I'm not bothered about the boot sound, but I would like to remove the [ T ] button; Paul O'Brien has written a small guide on how to do this under the topic heading - Modified SystemUI without Tesco button - my question is, would it be possible to do this through terminal emulator?

Edited by Jazman

@SifJar Thank you for the links in your post, I used to have the Android SDK installed on Windows many moons ago and I had forgotten altogether about 'terminal emulator.' I'm not bothered about the boot sound, but I would like to remove the [ T ] button; Paul O'Brien has written a small guide on how to do this under the topic heading - Modified SystemUI without Tesco button - my question is, would it be possible to do this through terminal emulator?

Possibly, however Paul recommends stopping the Android system ("adb stop") before swapping the file, and you can't do that from the terminal emulator because then the device freezes up. I have swapped out systemui.apk on another device while it was running, once the copy completed it automatically rebooted and all worked fine, so you could certainly try that, although I can't guarantee it will work. (if it goes really wrong, you can always flash the stock ROM Paul posted in another thread)

Guest TescoHudl

Thank you very much for the responses to my question. SifJar, you were right, when i said about the 'Ultra complicated process of getting it to work properly on my computer', i meant the Ubuntu USB, not the terminal commands. However, i do really struggle to use the terminal in Linux, and i am very reluctant to mess around with it unless i have to. It gets me really frustrated when i can't figure out the command i need to use in order to do something, so i tend to leave the terminal alone. It also annoys me with the countless error messages i receive for no apparent reason.

I did know that ADB worked with Windows, because i have used it before, but i was unsure whether those Linux commands would work in the Windows OS.

I tried the method of using 'Terminal Emulator' with the commands you provided, and it worked perfectly. No more annoying boot sound! Yay!

Cheers!

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

I got my 64gb micro sd card today, and it works :) Having over 70gb of useable space in total is making me glad I got this and not a nexus 7...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKM30 was the card btw

KkyMwhM.png

How did you get this to work? 

I bought a cheap MicroSD card off Ebay (£9), and it had a write speed of 650KB/s. I only realised this after i had received it, so i made a complaint to the company i bought it off and sent it back to them. 

Considering getting the card you've posted above, but i don't understand how you've got a 64GB card to work in the Hudl which supposedly only takes up to 48GB?

Edited by TescoHudl

Tesco advise the max is 32Gb, which when you add the 16Gb of onboard space = 32Gb.

You can use 64Gb, but not all cards are guaranteed to work.

Alternative method is to use a USB OTG dongle, where you can extend further with a USB stick etc

Guest stuartmc

Just rooted my Hudl using the Kingo Android Root windows application. No Linux or ADB needed. Was a bit worried as the Hudl crashed part way through and thought I'd bricked it but a quick reset and re-connect and all seems to be well with SuperSU installed and working.

Guest jamesglanville

I think they say the max is 32gb because that's the most that windows will support formatting to fat32 (not 100% sure about this), and that way they can confidently say 32gb is fine, and not deal with the inevitable complaints when 64gb cards don't always work. The one I linked to does work though, you just put it in and press format when it says the card is not formatted already. Combined with an OTG cable and (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter&hl=en_GB) you can even mount ntfs external usb storage when rooted.