Is it just me, or is the Hudl Camera(s) really poor??

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

I am posting this on behalf of my Brother, who now has the Hudl Tablet (as a Birthday present, as it was his Birthday yesterday.... Happy Birthday Bro ;) :P) and doesn't have an account on here (yet).

Does he have a defective camera, or are they really that bad?? He was using the Front Facing Camera (although the back was only margininly better) in both Google Hangouts and Skype, and as you can see below it was very dark both his Tablet, and what I was viewing it on (Samsung Galaxy Note N7000).

post-852559-0-44424700-1382832929_thumb.

So has anyone else tried to do a Skype/Hangouts call...?? This was done at night time, however he had the main light on, and also a side light also....

Where as I had just the main light on... Both devices have a reportedly 2mp camera on the front....

Thanks, Lister

Looks like quite poor light conditions. I know you mentioned that he did have a light on, but even so, some cameras perform quite poorly in artificial light compared to natural light. So it's quite possible you'd get much better results during the day. Although obviously that is little consolation when you want to Skype at night or whatever.

The cameras are probably fairly poor (to keep cost low), and chances are they aren't defective in his unit, that's just how they are most likely. (I say "most likely" because I am yet to purchase a Hudl, so can't give my own experiences).

Guest glossywhite

Looks like quite poor light conditions. I know you mentioned that he did have a light on, but even so, some cameras perform quite poorly in artificial light compared to natural light. So it's quite possible you'd get much better results during the day. Although obviously that is little consolation when you want to Skype at night or whatever.

The cameras are probably fairly poor (to keep cost low), and chances are they aren't defective in his unit, that's just how they are most likely. (I say "most likely" because I am yet to purchase a Hudl, so can't give my own experiences).

The cameras are not amazing, but then, the price is. They're certainly good enough for Skype, but you won't be replacing a Nikon D800 with the hudl :P

Hudl camera samples - all photos are from the back camera, unless specified otherwise:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22008695@N03/sets/72157636986838036

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi SifJar / GlossyWhite,

Thank you both for getting back to me so promptly.... and with your information/help too...

Yeah, I wasnt expecting much / crystal clear photo quality (although looking at your Samples Glossy, I am very impressed) but I was expecting the camera to function a little better than what it did for our Skype test...

As you can see from my sample, its almost near blackout and that is with a MAIN LIGHT on as well as a side light too, and he moved around trying to get the best position. Sometimes you could just about see him, others not at all.... and as I said, this is with full light on... but at night time?

We are going to try it again during the day too... But if you can only Skype in daylight, it wont be all that useful... I know their are cheap cameras to keep the costs down, but surely they should be better than that??

@GlossyWhite, were all those photos in the "Tesco" album from the Hudl ?? If so, I am very impressed with the quality and this is what I was expecting, if not better than I was expecting... Where the computer ones done at night time, it does look darker (but not a blackout... as in mine!! lol).

Also, the closeup/macro shots look amazing too, as do the colours for the outside photos....

It'll be interesting to see what people's Skype/Hangout experiences are like also... As I believe my brother said if he uses the built in Camera app, then the quality is a lot better, and almost looks like how I appear in mine (just not blurred out :P lol).

Anyway, thanks for your input guys, really appreciated... I'll see what others say also, and if you guys try out Skype/Hangouts if/when you get a moment at night and report back. Shall also try a day time Skype too, and if still bad... then may have to take back to Tesco's....

Thanks, Lister

Guest glossywhite

The macro photos were taken by pointing hudl down a magnifying loupe - it ain't THAT clear on it's own :D

The pics of my desk were just now, and the rest were in daylight. ALL the photos in the linked album were taken on hudl (no, NOT Hubble - they'd be 1,000,000x clearer, and the tablet 100,000,000x more expensive... OR MORE! :D)

You're welcome :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Lister Of Smeg

lol, was gonna say... wow, thats pretty impressive/clear for a Hudl.... :P  Although yeah, if it did use Hubble technology... I doubt we'd be seeing it on the Tesco "Value" range, shelf... ;) lol

But yeah, the outdoor ones look amazing!! :) And yet the indoor at night time look ok / as expected too... So not sure why its so dark on my brothers one... He's bringing it up tomorrow, so will get to have a look... Hopefully in a way that it is faulty, and not something we will have to live with... (ie: Skype'ing only during the day outside the house... LOL)

Thanks, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GlossyWhite,

Looking again at your photo's today, using the front facing camera... and then checking/testing the camera in daylight doing Hangouts/Skype... It's clear (pardon the pun) to say the quality of his camera is no where near as clear or sharp as the pictures you have taken with it....

Also, we found another bug (just our luck, why do we always seem to purchase the faulty devices... re: my TV's lol) which someone else has reported in this forum, that the left hand corner of the screen does/did not respond to touches... However if you rotated the Tablet physically round and tested each corner, they all worked except that one. However the previous person who reported it said they had reset their device and it made no difference, however we reset my brothers and it seemed to fix the screen.... How long for is another matter. So we shall keep our eye on it... However it made no impact on the camera.

So we are gonna wait for mums one to turn up, which should hopefully be this week... and test that one too!!

Cheers, Lister

On my Hudl there was no need to do a factory reset. The screen was made responsive by turning the screen off and on again. I tried a factory reset to stop the problem recurring. This did not work for me and the problem manifested again and again...........

Edited by Ian...

From my limited testing of both cameras, I'm not massively impressed with the light levels. But then again the hudl's camera spec/quaility was never a high priority before buying it. These days my mobile far out performs my ageing digital camera - so for this function the hurl was never going to compete.

Yes I do agree though for you and Skype type stuff it could be an issue.

Guest Grumpydev

I tried the camera in skype and it was terrible, barely able to see anything - I tried the camera using the android camera app and it was much much better, and more what I was expecting - I'm not sure if there's a software issue at work here.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GrumpyDev,

Thank you for testing this also... and confirming! So I guess the device is not faulty as such, but is a bug in the software/coding. As it does work better during Android Camera app than it does in Skype/Hangouts. Surely if it works in Camera app, it should work in others...

Is it something Tesco/Archos will fix, if we bug them enough... As its weird it works built in, just not Skype/Hangouts.

Cheers, Lister

Guest Graham1

As SifJar suggested, this does seem to be down to poor lighting conditions. Having tested at work (5.00pm), images were clear when using third party apps. 

:)