1.3 OTA and Hudl Rooted with Kingo

Guest Pieronip

Guest Pieronip

This didn't quite fit with any of the existing threads and I don't want to cross-post.

The following for information.

If your Hudl is rooted with Kingo, the OTA update will work correctly and your Hudl will remain rooted!

Guest TurboPask

Thanks for the info.

The same with VRoot (chinese program). If you use this program to root your hudl and don't remove any system apk, the ota update works nice.

Guest CashMoney

Thanks for the info.

The same with VRoot (chinese program). If you use this program to root your hudl and don't remove any system apk, the ota update works nice.

I rooted via Vroot app, made 1 change to build.prop and replaced the systemui.apk. Having reverted those last 2 changes, I still can't update OTA. Only other "change" I've made is to disable the Tesco apps, not removed just disabled.

Guest TurboPask

I rooted via Vroot app, made 1 change to build.prop and replaced the systemui.apk. Having reverted those last 2 changes, I still can't update OTA. Only other "change" I've made is to disable the Tesco apps, not removed just disabled.

Which error you got?

In my case the error was related to the removed apk, so I solved restoring them.

Be careful with Kingo - there's a lot of theories/evidence on the internet/forums that this software "holds a secret payload inside" that in effect is spyware. If you use it, I wouldn't want to be using the hudl for "important" online transactions etc to be safe.

Guest Pieronip

Kingo is reputed to be 'only' an english translation of Vroot.  I cannot find any Malware in a kingo rooted Hudl with any of the usual anti-malware tools, not is there anything in the installer when scanned on a PC.  I've had a Google and can find nothing definitive, only the occassional expression of innate suspicion. 

Do you have any links or references for knowledgeable discussion or evidence for this?

Edited by Pieronip

When I get back tonight I'll find again the forum links which describe some backend process that "talks" to a distant sever on a daily basis. Make of that what you will ....

Guest Pieronip

If it is, as has been suggested, an English update of Vroot, it is unsurprising that it contacts a Chinese server as the rooting process makes it clear that it is 'downloading scripts' and it's Vroot andtecedents would make it likely to do so from a Chinese server.

Recent news might suggest it would be more worrying if it contacted a US server! :)

Recent news might suggest it would be more worrying if it contacted a US server! :)

It's funny how quickly 'friend' and 'foe' can change sides. From experience in a previous life, you do have to tread very carefully with 'far eastern' hacks - too many grey imports ha e been found to contain back doors / dial home functions and covert technologies. But now that also includes 'the west' and now with source available Kingo shouldn't really be required.

Thanks to the people on this site, got my daughters Hudl today (£60 in real money) for Christmas

Updated it with 1.3, rooted it with Kingo, disabled Tesco apps and I must admit I'm quite impressed with it, it's snappy, clear sharp screen, hdmi out works great, just need to fill it full of movies, music and apps when the 64gb card arrives

Is it possible to get link2Sd to run on it, haven't seen anybody mention it, but will be squashing as much as I can into the Hudl by Christmas and I hate the dreaded insufficient storage space messages!

Thanks again people and looking forward to some custom roms now that the source is out!

Kitkat here we come!

Guest hippy dave

I haven't tried but I imagine link2sd would work. Even if for some reason it can't be tweaked to work on the stock rom, it should definitely work on a custom rom.

Cheers Hippy Dave, Link2Sd does indeed work although I could not get the partition to mount using fat32, ext2, 3 & 4 and then I read that you need to set the second partition as primary and bingo both Ext2 & 4 worked, didn't try the others. It did ask me to create a new mount script and restart and when moving apps it said it can only link and not move which I think is the better option anyway!

Apps moved over, working fine, no lag and now more space!

I used mini partition tool to set up the sd card, if anybody needs more info just let me know.