Root your Moto G - option 2: Modified recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

What is this?

This is an alternate root option for the Moto G. It is a customised recovery (stock recovery with test keys) and a SuperSU 1.80 install zip modified to work on the G.

What are the pre-requisites?

YOU NEED YOUR BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED TO CARRY OUT THIS PROCESS. It's easy using fastboot, which is included in the download below. The instructions on the Motorola site are very straightforward - visit this page to get started. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.

Any caveats?

Aside from the bootloader unlock wiping your device and invalidating your warranty, you should note that while rooting may affect your ability to receive future OTAs, reverting back to stock is easy enough. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

Download

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Modified recovery root r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 7b7ad899480ab5a1b6b00e128256e136
How to root - Windows
  • Download the zip file above and extract to a directory.
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader. Connect the phone to your computer.
  • Open a command window as administrator and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • Use the volume keys on your phone as instructed to navigate to and select the 'Recovery' option
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Apply update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command 'adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
  • Select the 'reboot' option on your phone using the power button. You're now rooted! :)
How to root - Mac
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader. Connect the phone to your computer.
  • Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'chmod +x ./fastboot-moto-mac && chmod +x ./adb-mac'
  • Run the command './fastboot-moto-mac flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • Use the volume keys on your phone as instructed to navigate to and select the 'Recovery' option
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Install update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command './adb-mac sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
  • Select the 'reboot' option on your phone using the power button. You're now rooted! :)
How to root - Linux
  • Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'chmod +x ./fastboot-moto-linux && chmod +x ./adb-linux'
  • Run the command './fastboot-moto-linux flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Install update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command './adb-linux sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit the store for further details!

grooted.jpg

Funny, I have just noticed an hour ago that custom recoveries will boot, as long as the size doesn't change too much.
However, my signing environment is broken and I was just getting it fixed.

Thanks for your work man, this works :)

Guest packers77fr

THANKS, it's OK for me too.

Just one thing, it isnt ''Install update from SD' but 'apply update from SD'  (the first one because we can show this twice)

Regards

Guest PaulOBrien

THANKS, it's OK for me too.

Just one thing, it isnt ''Install update from SD' but 'apply update from SD'  (the first one because we can show this twice)

Regards

Tweaked. :)

P

Hi im trying to root a 2nd moto g, but when it gets to the bit "Run the command './adb-mac sideload supersu.motog.zip'. " i get device not found??

Same here

Hi im trying to root a 2nd moto g, but when it gets to the bit "Run the command './adb-mac sideload supersu.motog.zip'. " i get device not found??

Same here

Works now -check your usb drivers

Hi im trying to root a 2nd moto g, but when it gets to the bit "Run the command './adb-mac sideload supersu.motog.zip'. " i get device not found?? Same here Works now -check your usb drivers
What drivers u using? Im using official 2.4.5 Device manager showing no drivers for phone whilst in recovery? Edited by ahac85

Check your devices in device manager you will find a device not loaded

Yes true, but then what, reinstalling drivers doesnt work, what did u do to vet it working? I'm on windows 7

Motorola ADB Interface - I manually loaded this and it worked
Thanks I have 2 drivers, mot composite adb interface, mot single adb interface. Which did u go 4? Edit. I went for MOT SINGLE ADB INTERFACE and its worked, finally rooted on both, strange what happened. Edit2 looks like both options work, I did adb devices to check if device was attached and it showed up. Edited by ahac85

Guest quasmin

It did work on my 16 GB Dual SIM Brasil Retail ...

I'm always a little afraid to flash those .img, but it's worthed =D

Thank you very much ... made me happier with my Moto G !!!

Edited by quasmin

Guest Camarillo

Hi have just tried twice modified option 2

on windows i enter    cmd     fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img     it seems to do something in the windows consol then the following appears on the phone and when select to go into recovery the phone reboots

Fastboot Reason: Volume down key pressed
USB connected
cmd: getvarmax-sparse-size
cmd: download:00a00000
cmd: flash:recovery

hab check failed for recovery

also when you download the modded zip from link above and extract that into a directory there is another zip file in that should that be extracted or not.

Thanks

Guest hyperfighting

I am not sure this is related to rooting... as i can get su in terminal console on phone, but when trying to installed .apk files i get following error 'There was a problem while parsing the package'.  these .apk`s install fine on many other rooted phones.

Hi have just tried twice modified option 2 on windows i enter cmd fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img it seems to do something in the windows consol then the following appears on the phone and when select to go into recovery the phone reboots Fastboot Reason: Volume down key pressed USB connected cmd: getvarmax-sparse-size cmd: download:00a00000 cmd: flash:recovery hab check failed for recovery also when you download the modded zip from link above and extract that into a directory there is another zip file in that should that be extracted or not. Thanks
Scroll down to recovery by pressing volume down and then press volume up to select, it sounds like your pressing the power key to select. No u don't unzip second file Edited by ahac85

Guest terminal 7

EPIC blooming great flipin WIN ..!

Cheers paul, i had the worst ever day at work and come home to find this - my Moto-G is now ROOTED   :D

big thanks again you have SOME skills fella ..

edited typo.

Edited by terminal 7

Same error that Camarillo had here!ama
Thats no error, that suppose to happen, just select recovery from the bootloader list and press volume up and not the power key, it shud boot into recovery. Ive had that message on 2 moto g and have successfully rooted both just need to follow the instructions on op Edited by ahac85