Root your Moto G - option 2: Modified recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

• 1 month later...
Guest shmotog

PaulOBrien (or anyone) can you help me. I used this method to root. Now I want to keep the root but also lock the bootloader. If I flash stock recovery would it let me keep the root and allow me to re-lock the bootloader? Also can you help point out where I could find the stock recovery? i have xt1032

• 1 month later...
Guest Difusio

Hoping that someone can help:

I've unlocked the bootloader and tried method 1. That didn't word, after the command the screen turns purple and fades out.

On to method 2. I can list my device in both adb and fastboot mode.

I can flash the recovery, however when I select recovery in fastboot and confirm with Up button it just reboots and optimizes my apps again.

When i do ADB reboot recovery, it reboots, show me the unlocked bootloader warning, turns black for 1 second, shows me the warning again, boots normally and optimizes all my apps again.

What is going wrong?

Guest shmotog

What is this?

This is an alternate root option for the Moto G. It is a customised recovery (stock recovery with test keys) and a SuperSU 1.80 install zip modified to work on the G.

What are the pre-requisites?

YOU NEED YOUR BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED TO CARRY OUT THIS PROCESS. It's easy using fastboot, which is included in the download below. The instructions on the Motorola site are very straightforward - visit this page to get started. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.

Any caveats?

Aside from the bootloader unlock wiping your device and invalidating your warranty, you should note that while rooting may affect your ability to receive future OTAs, reverting back to stock is easy enough. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

Download

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Modified recovery root r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 7b7ad899480ab5a1b6b00e128256e136
How to root - Windows
  • SPAM zip file above and extract to a directory.
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader. Connect the phone to your computer.
  • Open a command window as administrator and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • Use the volume keys on your phone as instructed to navigate to and select the 'Recovery' option
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Apply update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command 'adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
  • Select the 'reboot' option on your phone using the power button. You're now rooted! :)
How to root - Mac
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader. Connect the phone to your computer.
  • Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'chmod +x ./fastboot-moto-mac && chmod +x ./adb-mac'
  • Run the command './fastboot-moto-mac flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • Use the volume keys on your phone as instructed to navigate to and select the 'Recovery' option
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Install update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command './adb-mac sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
  • Select the 'reboot' option on your phone using the power button. You're now rooted! :)
How to root - Linux
  • Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the files
  • Run the command 'chmod +x ./fastboot-moto-linux && chmod +x ./adb-linux'
  • Run the command './fastboot-moto-linux flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img'
  • When recovery loads, select the 'Install update from SD' option. That's not actually what the option does, Motorola have screwed up the image, that really enables ADB sideloading. :D
  • Run the command './adb-linux sideload supersu.motog.zip'. You'll notice the installation complete on your phone.
Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit the store for further details!

grooted.jpg

I have a question, quite an important one. If I were to re-lock my bootloader, I understand I would have to flash stock ROM.

However consider this, as I rooted using this method 2, therefore only thing that technically changed is the recovery.

So if I do:

oem lock begin...

flash the recovery.img (stock)

oem lock end...

Would that re-lock my moto g?

I have already unrooted by removing superSU.

Why dont I want to reflash the stock ROM? because that I believe would 1. remove all my apps 2. it would bring motorolaOTA back to life which is the primary reason why i rooted so that i could prevent kitkat update.

Is what I said above do-able to relock the bootloader?

Guest shmotog

I think I have just made an important discovery, I need Paul O Brien or someone important to reply.

What I did was in search of relocking my bootloader after unrooting, I did:

fastboot oem lock begin

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (the stock recovery as using method 2 it removed this with testkeys recovery)

fastboot oem lock

this FAILED, however the stock recovery.img got written successfully.

As a result I was unable to sideload superSU anymore.

which to me is a step up in making it more secure and closer to locked bootloader as now anyone if they steal it wont be just able to straightaway sideload superSU.

They could of course first flash a custom recovery therefore I need help from Paul or someone in relocking the bootloader WITHOUT reflashing stock rom as I dont want to bring motorolaOTA back to life that i froze prior to unrooting using titanium.