[Q] Fit a new battery.... Is it possible?

Guest elsid

My San Diego was new in October 2012 and has been completely trouble free but the battery is now showing signs of weakness. A lot depends on how its used of course and for the first 6 or 7 months I always turned the phone off in the evening, which meant the battery would last for a month before needing a charge. I then changed my usage habits and began to leave the phone permanently switched on, even when charging. The phone was used very lightly and every power draining app was switched off, so it needed a charge about every 2 weeks. Then about 2 months ago I noticed I need to charge more often, about once a week and the use of WiFi, Bluetooth, mp3 or video etc will drain the battery far quicker than 6 months ago. In spite of no prospect of a safe Jelly Bean update I would like to keep this phone as it is stable, fast and smooth. I have searched but no one seems to have discussed or even considered DIY surgery to replace the battery with a new one. Does anyone know if this has been covered or if this would even be possible.

Edited by elsid

Guest BlueMoonRising

There is a thread somewhere but it basically boils down to the fact that the battery is replaceable with a just a little soldering to do.

The difficult part would be actually finding a replacement.

So its much as I expected, doable if you can find a new battery and I cant see Orange having one. I think in future I will not buy another phone with a non-replaceable battery. If your on a contract its probably not a problem as you just request a replacement, but I am a PAYG user so not very practical. Its a shame to bin it just for the sake of a new battery and not very eco friendly.  

Having said that, I have just noticed eBay selling a  Universal 6000 Mah Blue External Battery Power Bank Charger for the Orange San Diego, £25 with free delivery

Don't really want to lug an external battery pack around, not very practical so its not for me.

Edited by elsid