[Q] Owner thoughts on the San Diego.

Guest Ryan06

Hello all. 

I've been looking to buy this phone for a while after missing the Moto G for £89 with vouchers. Just wanted to get owners thought of the phone, what they think about it and what it's like to live with day to day. 

I know they can be rooted so that's debranding out the way, and unlocking is only available via Orange direct for £20.42 after 6 months which is a pain but I'll use an Asda Mobile sim for the 3 month wait..

For £69 it seems alot of phone for the money and time is running out for me to make a decision.. the old fella is getting fedup  of me 'faffing' about and seeing as he's buying I better make my mind up quick  :P

Thanks Ryan.

Edited by Ryan06

Guest BlueMoonRising

It is a lot of phone for £69 (it started at £200) however I'm not 100% I would get one now. The build quality is poor and there's been plenty of people who have ended up just junking it.

I wasn't even aware you could still buy it but be cautious as the ones now being sold could well be fully patched already in which case you can forget about root.

I would consider paying the extra for the Motorola Moto G or perhaps the Huawei Ascend G300 nowadays.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

It is a lot of phone for £69 (it started at £200) however I'm not 100% I would get one now. The build quality is poor and there's been plenty of people who have ended up just junking it.

I wasn't even aware you could still buy it but be cautious as the ones now being sold could well be fully patched already in which case you can forget about root.

I would consider paying the extra for the Motorola Moto G or perhaps the Huawei Ascend G300 nowadays.

Oh, that's pretty disappointing about the build quality and the possibility of being completely unrootable, bit of an own goal for Intel and Orange on this one maybe..

I have already owned the G300 and don't think I want another one because 2 days after the warranty expired the screen died, if anyone is after one of these best ask in-store at Tesco, my local were clearing them out @ £45 on Voda but weren't on display and some Argos's are selling them at £54.75.

The only other phone that I've seen with some serious muscle is the Motorola Razr i but no one stocks them now and ebay prices are crackers.

Guest BlueMoonRising

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141127009730?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95 for the Razr i @ approx £135 looks tempting maybe from a USA Ebay account.

I could talk up the OSD (mine is still fine for instance) but I won't ignore the fact that it's had lots of problems. Personally speaking I would look elsewhere although it may cost a little more for less (perceived) performance but you're less likely to be disappointed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141127009730?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95 for the Razr i @ approx £135 looks tempting maybe from a USA Ebay account.

I could talk up the OSD (mine is still fine for instance) but I won't ignore the fact that it's had lots of problems. Personally speaking I would look elsewhere although it may cost a little more for less (perceived) performance but you're less likely to be disappointed.

Cripes, that is cheap!!

Problem is those nice ladies and gents at hmce who have a nasty habit of poking their nose in. From experience I know that us seller are less likely to mark goods down on the cn22 than say sellers from china etc. Could all end up in tears when they start adding tax and RM slap their charges on..

I appreciate you being honest about the phone.. it's a shame they decided to lock it down to a point where no devs could take full advantage of what the phone had to offer... Hey ho.

Guest Biohead

If it wasn't stuck on 4.0.4 it would be a pretty good deal - the fact it doesn't even have Jelly Bean (and it's quality issues) would make me steer clear of it nowadays.

The Razr i (if you can find one) would be the better buy. The quality is much better (in fact, one of the best around in my eyes) and the unlocked boot loader opens the possibility of keeping the OS up to date now that CM are starting x86 builds if you want to stick to an Intel powered phone.

Guest BlueMoonRising

If it wasn't stuck on 4.0.4 it would be a pretty good deal - the fact it doesn't even have Jelly Bean (and it's quality issues) would make me steer clear of it nowadays.

The Razr i (if you can find one) would be the better buy. The quality is much better (in fact, one of the best around in my eyes) and the unlocked boot loader opens the possibility of keeping the OS up to date now that CM are starting x86 builds if you want to stick to an Intel powered phone.

All true, I sometimes wish I'd scraped together the extra cash at the time and got the Razr i.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Hello all. 

I've been looking to buy this phone for a while after missing the Moto G for £89 with vouchers. Just wanted to get owners thought of the phone, what they think about it and what it's like to live with day to day. 

I know they can be rooted so that's debranding out the way, and unlocking is only available via Orange direct for £200 after 3 months which is a pain but I'll use an Asda Mobile sim for the 3 month wait..

For £69 it seems alot of phone for the money and time is running out for me to make a decision.. the old fella is getting fedup  of me 'faffing' about and seeing as he's buying I better make my mind up quick  :P

Thanks Ryan.

I've just realised reading back through your post that the unlocking fee is £20.42 (I know it was a typo on your part, Lol) but it's actually a minimum 6 months before they'll unlock. And you will not get them to reduce that at all.

I've just realised reading back through your post that the unlocking fee is £20.42 (I know it was a typo on your part, Lol) but it's actually a minimum 6 months before they'll unlock. And you will not get them to reduce that at all.

Ha, yeah... £200 what a bargain. EDITED that..

A 6 month wait is shocking and then £20.42 for the privilege? I'm slowly loosing interest in the phone which is a pity because it's great spec for the price. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Biohead

Interestingly enough, it's just been confirmed that the Razr I is going to be officially updated to kitkat (4.4.2). When is a different matter, but things seem to be moving already.

Such a shame for the OSD in comparison as I'm sure the Razr I would confirm that kitkat should zip along on that hardware.