[GUIDE] Tweaking Google Play Services to use less RAM

Guest rhen

I've experimenting with Disable Service to find the right balance between freeing as many of the resource as I can and don't break anything I'm using.

I've disabled the following parts of the Google Play Services:

- AnalyticsService

- WearableService

- WearableControlService

- BrokeredFitnessService

- CastService

- LocationWearableListenerService

- NlpLocationRecieverService (needed for approximate/network location but GPS still works)

- GoogleLocationService (needed for approximate/network location but GPS still works)

- DispatchingService

Known that breaks something

- GoogleLocationManagerService (Breaks GPS)

Tested with v5.0.x and v6.1.x Play Services.

This topic can be a guide for later usage. I'll update the first post with your experiences so please, If you found something useful, post it.

For starting point, here is the reference of what service is what: https://developer.android.com/reference/gms-packages.html

With these settings my phone feels much snappier. (In first sight it seems like I have ~20MB more free RAM)

These disabled services may become active again after ROM update.
I noticed that sometimes something clear AnalyticsService from the disable list. (maybe facebook messenger cause this. Try disable messenger's AnalyticsService)

If you experience slowdown or see this service in the ruinning apps list, just disable again.

Edited by rhen

Guest choslimi

Hi rhen,

I can't say that I understand even a tiny fraction of the developor android link that you posted, but I installed the app and disabled the same options that you suggested on my phone. As you remarked, the phone seems snappier.

Thanks for your various posts and your continued support of kitkat for this phone.

Regards, choslimi

• 2 months later...

Yep, but seems like it is updated more than a year ago.

With newer play services comes some services that is safe to disable too.

I should update this thread some time since there are new services in Play Services 6.1 like the BrokeredFitnessService that can be disabled.

I'll try to take some time to updated the first post with the new services.

Guest Netphilos

Hi rhen

I've tried what you have said, and it works. Phone is snappier than before because Google play services don't eat as much RAM as before. I'll try and check as well other services to disable.

Thank you for your effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mack123

Great job rhen. Phone is much better now. Are you still on tests to try to disable mor parts?

Are more files ( others than Google Play Services ) that we can disable ??

I have SlimBean 4.2.2 and i have disabled:

GtalkService

GtalkServiceProxy

Edited by mack123

Great job rhen. Phone is much better now. Are you still on tests to try to disable mor parts?

Are more files ( others than Google Play Services ) that we can disable ??

I have SlimBean 4.2.2 and i have disabled:

GtalkService

GtalkServiceProxy

You can disable anything you want, just check if it isn't broke any function you use.

I tried only Play Services stuff, because if I check the running processes, I found the most useless (for me) RAM consuming processes in this.

My method was that check what processes are running and try to disable it one by one and check that everithyng still works.

I have never seen GtalkService running so I haven't bothered with it. Do you feel or see any difference?

I may try disable GeofenceHardwareService in android system later.

Edited by rhen

Guest mack123

You can disable anything you want, just check if it isn't broke any function you use.

I tried only Play Services stuff, because if I check the running processes, I found the most useless (for me) RAM consuming processes in this.

My method was that check what processes are running and try to disable it one by one and check that everithyng still works.

I have never seen GtalkService running so I haven't bothered with it. Do you feel or see any difference?

I may try disable GeofenceHardwareService in android system later.

Don't notice big diference. But if they don't run, better fo us, they as useless.

@rhen

In last few days I got "SystemUpdateService" running most of the time, check that out please.

I can't find it.

What packages is this in? Or what is the full name?

edit:

I found it.

It is disabled. I don't know why, I havent disabled manually anything from Google Services Framework...

Edited by rhen

I can't find it.

What packages is this in? Or what is the full name?

edit:

I found it.

It is disabled. I don't know why, I havent disabled manually anything from Google Services Framework...

Hmm, strange.

I greenified the Google Play Services now as some people ssid on this forum, but, whats better, greenifying them or doing your way from here?

Hmm, strange.

I greenified the Google Play Services now as some people ssid on this forum, but, whats better, greenifying them or doing your way from here?

I tried Greenify first, but I can't hibernate Play Services. I tried the Boost mode too but didn't worked. (It was months ago, maybe with the new Greenify and Play Services it is possible)

So I can't really compare the results.

Edit:

I tried it now and I was able to hibernate it.

Seems work fine. (I was unable to test auto-hibernate in this short time)

The main difference between the two method is that if you disable something with Disable Service app, Nothing can start or reach that service.

If you hibernate an app with Greenify, the app still can be started if needed.

Now that I can hibernate Play Services, I will try to combine the two method.

Disable the unnecessary services with Disable Services app and hibernate the whole Play Services with Greenify.

I will keep this setup for a while now and check how it works. Eg. If greenifying PS doesn't break push notification or synchronization.

@rhen

Push notifications are working ok, just tested.

Keep me posted here.

Automatic hibernation doesn't work.

It says it is in use by Google Backup Transport.

I'm in Boost mode, Greenifying system apps checked, Wakeup Tracker & Cutoff checked, Block App State Abuse checked.

Edit:

If I Greenify Google Backup Transport too, Android system still can't allow PS to hibernate automatically.

Edited by rhen

@rhen

Meh, I dont like this greenify thing. The ps wakes up wvery moment, it cant be greenified 50 times in minute.

Ill keep those disabling services way.

Just post when you found something new to disable.

@rhen

Meh, I dont like this greenify thing. The ps wakes up wvery moment, it cant be greenified 50 times in minute.

Ill keep those disabling services way.

Just post when you found something new to disable.

It seems like I can make PS to hibernate automatically if I disable the Android Backup Service in Disable Services app but I don't want to. Many apps use it and I like it.

So I'm stick with Disable Service for now.

It seems like I can make PS to hibernate automatically if I disable the Android Backup Service in Disable Services app but I don't want to. Many apps use it and I like it.

So I'm stick with Disable Service for now.

Ok. Me too.

About that 2 location services, they are safe to disable right?

Ok. Me too.

About that 2 location services, they are safe to disable right?

Yes. If you don't use any android wear device or Chromecast.

You can disable the 2 location service too, but you will only get GPS as if you set it to "Device only" mode in location settings.

Yes. If you don't use any android wear device or Chromecast.

You can disable the 2 location service too, but you will only get GPS as if you set it to "Device only" mode in location settings.

I dont use GPS at all, so its ok for me.

Ill try to disable that SystemUpdateService and see what happens.

I dont use GPS at all, so its ok for me.

Ill try to disable that SystemUpdateService and see what happens.

If you don't use GPS, you can disable all the location service like GoogleLocationManagerService and FusedLocationService etc.

If you don't use GPS, you can disable all the location service like GoogleLocationManagerService and FusedLocationService etc.

I disabled the SystemUpdateService now. Everything works ok for now.