[Recovery] ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.1 for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This is my build of Koush's ClockWorkMod Recovery 6.0.5.1 for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, ZTE V811, Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, ZTE Blade M, etc).

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-kis3.zip (CWM/TWRP flashable)
md5:a1eb8af7d8e2606df9eaa7734c180076

recovery-cwm6051-kis3.img
md5:3571bf70f64e59fb73d8f1f229158d1c

This recovery is fully working with goodies such as repeatable keys and adb sideload support. Use volume keys to navigate menus and power button to select. Internal sdcard is handled differently on Open C and Kis 3 so this recovery only supports external sdcard.

Do not use this recovery to flash official updates from ZTE website! You need to repack them for ClockWorkMod or use the stock recovery to install.

How to make clean ROM dump/backup of your device (before you root or install CWM): (recommended)
1. Download and install ZTE USB drivers (windows) or setup udev rules (linux)
2. Download and install Android SDK tools and platform-tools to get adb and fastboot
3. Download recovery-cwm60xx-kis3.img recovery image and rename it to recovery.img
4. Create a new directory somewhere and copy adb(.exe), fastboot(.exe) and recovery.img into it
5. Enable USB debugging on your device (Firefox OS - Settings -> Device information -> More Information -> Developer -> Remote Debugging --- Android - Settings->Developer options -> Android debugging)
6. Plug in your device via USB cable and install drivers if necessary
7. Open terminal window as an administrator (windows) or execute adb commands with sudo (linux)
8. Change into the directory you've created and execute following commands in terminal window (boots into recovery instead of flashing it)
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img

9. select backup & restore -> backup (Seriously, always backup your device before you install anything!)

How to install ClockWorkMod Recovery:
1. Download and install ZTE USB drivers (windows) or setup udev rules (linux)
2. Download and install Android SDK tools and platform-tools to get adb and fastboot
3. Download recovery-cwm60xx-kis3.img recovery image and rename it to recovery.img
4. Create a new directory somewhere and copy adb(.exe), fastboot(.exe) and recovery.img into it
5. Enable USB debugging on your device (Firefox OS - Settings -> Device information -> More Information -> Developer -> Remote Debugging --- Android - Settings -> Developer options -> Android debugging)
6. Plug in your device via USB cable and install drivers if necessary
7. Open terminal window as an administrator (windows) or execute adb commands with sudo (linux)
8. Change into the directory you've created and execute following commands in terminal window
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

9. Congratulations, you have installed CWM to your device

10. Boot into ClockWorkMod by pressing volume up while powering on or using 'adb reboot recovery'
11. Select backup & restore -> backup (Seriously, always backup your device before you install anything!)

How to root your (Android) firmware via recovery:
1. Download root app of your choice (Koush's Superuser or Chainfire's SuperSU) and save it to your sdcard
2. Follow instructions on how to install/boot ClockWorkMod recovery
3. Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard -> root-app-of-your-choice.zip

Sources for the recovery are available in my github. You can compile it yourself using CM11 source tree.

Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

28.3. 2015 changelog:

• ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.1

14.8. changelog:

• initial release

Previous builds:

recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.0-kis3.zip (CWM/TWRP flashable)
md5:8e8dd0fabd3ec9d48c9b077da5083b48

recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img
md5:2333a51e306976dc4dbacf0856a3b915
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

install failed on my device,

currently installing ffos to see if it works from there

Failed how?

I've had CWM installed on Firefox OS out-of-the-box (without using silly unlocking tools etc). Then flashed EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip with stock recovery and installed CWM again. Then installed my CM11, and that's all I've done to my device (unless failed attempt to update to GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10 counts :P). I'm still wondering if some of these devices really have a 'locked' bootloader (mine doesn't).

Guest hecatae

failed as in flashing recovery failed on the 4.2 virgin rom.

got round it by booting cwm recovery by adb, installing cm11 and then rebooting to bootloader and flashing cwm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mega xp

i did the following in the command prompt

C:\a>fastboot flash recovery recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9094 KB)...
OKAY [  0.680s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.770s]
finished. total time: 1.568s

C:\a>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\a>

and then when i press the power and the volume up it takes me to the old fastboot menu and not the ClockWorkMod Recovery menu
please advice...

Guest KonstaT

i did the following in the command prompt

C:\a>fastboot flash recovery recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
OKAY [  0.680s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.770s]
finished. total time: 1.568s

C:\a>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\a>

and then when i press the power and the volume up it takes me to the old fastboot menu and not the ClockWorkMod Recovery menu
please advice...

By old fastboot, I take you mean the stock recovery? Bootloader mode just stays on the splash screen and you'll have fastboot access.

Have you flashed ZTE updates to your device? It means that you'll likely have a script (/system/etc/install-recovery.sh) that will replace your recovery with the stock one during a reboot.

Boot the recovery without installing it (fastboot boot recovery-cwm60xx-kis3.img) and make a backup of your stock ROM like instructed. When you select 'reboot' to boot out of recovery it should ask two questions. Something about root (you can ignore that) and then a warning about your custom recovery being overwritten. Select the option to prevent that. You should be able to flash it to the recovery partition so that it will stick after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnnyjoe

Hi!

Great to see KonstaT working on Kis 3. I had a Blade and I've used many of his great roms. Thanks for everything KonstaT! : )

I've tried to install CWM on my Smart A16 (from Portugal). I'm on windows 8.1. I've followed this guide and installed everything needed, but when I execute "adb reboot bootloader", the phone turns black, and then when I execute "fastboot boot recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img", it keep on waiting for the devide. I've notice that when I run the first comand, on device management, the phone get's like it lost the drivers or something like that, it show "android device" or something like that - can't remember now - with an exclamation port. Since that's happening to me, I can't install CMW. Can someone help? What am I doing wrong, did I misse something?

Thanks again and keep up your amazing work Konstat! : )

Kind regards!

J

Guest KonstaT

Hi!

Great to see KonstaT working on Kis 3. I had a Blade and I've used many of his great roms. Thanks for everything KonstaT! : )

I've tried to install CWM on my Smart A16 (from Portugal). I'm on windows 8.1. I've followed this guide and installed everything needed, but when I execute "adb reboot bootloader", the phone turns black, and then when I execute "fastboot boot recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img", it keep on waiting for the devide. I've notice that when I run the first comand, on device management, the phone get's like it lost the drivers or something like that, it show "android device" or something like that - can't remember now - with an exclamation port. Since that's happening to me, I can't install CMW. Can someone help? What am I doing wrong, did I misse something?

Thanks again and keep up your amazing work Konstat! : )

Kind regards!

J

Yeah, it's a driver issue. I still can't believe how winblows can have such major issues with this. Fastboot is a generic Google mode (USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D), it's not even something that you'd need a vendor specific driver. There's people with the same issue on my Blade III CWM thread and also few versions of fastboot drivers posted there. Also Google search for 'windows 8 fastboot driver' will give you plenty of results.

Guest johnnyjoe

Yeah, it's a driver issue. I still can't believe how winblows can have such major issues with this. Fastboot is a generic Google mode (USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D), it's not even something that you'd need a vendor specific driver. There's people with the same issue on my Blade III CWM thread and also few versions of fastboot drivers posted there. Also Google search for 'windows 8 fastboot driver' will give you plenty of results.

Hello again!

Many thanks for your precious help, KonstaT! : )

I've solved it with some tips - and the driver - from this video:

Take care!

J

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yorksims

I have what is probably a very simple problem that has me pulling my hair out at the moment so any advice would be great.

The handset is an Open C from Ebay and I've installed the EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip  rom.

My computer is Windows 7 64 bit and I have Android SDK installed plus the ZTE handset USB drivers.

ADB shows the phone if I list devices but when I run the command to reboot to bootloader the phone switches off and the windows gong sounds to show it's dissconected but then the gong sounds again rapidly 3 or 4 times and the phone stays switched off.

Any ideas?

Guest johnnyjoe

I have what is probably a very simple problem that has me pulling my hair out at the moment so any advice would be great.

The handset is an Open C from Ebay and I've installed the EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip  rom.

My computer is Windows 7 64 bit and I have Android SDK installed plus the ZTE handset USB drivers.

ADB shows the phone if I list devices but when I run the command to reboot to bootloader the phone switches off and the windows gong sounds to show it's dissconected but then the gong sounds again rapidly 3 or 4 times and the phone stays switched off.

Any ideas?

yorksims, watch the video above, do the same things on win 7 - the disable signature thing - and download and install the adb driver that is on video description. Hope it works - it did for me, I had the same problem, but on win 8.1.

Any ideas?

It doesn't switch off. There's just no visual confirmation that you've booted to bootloader mode. On Firefox OS bootloader, it just stays on the splash image. On Android bootloader, it stays on a blank screen. This is when you should execute fastboot commands. E.g. you can 'fastboot devices' to see that you can access your device. If not, you likely need to install some fastboot drivers (see above).

Guest yorksims

Many thanks for all of your help guys.

I had suspected a driver issue but my device manager showed no missing drivers and a ZTE adb driver installed so I wrongly assumed that it would work.

However,for some strange reason,when I uninstalled the ZTE adb driver and installed the one shown in the video then everything worked.

To make sure everything was working properly as I went along I used the commands

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

and with the new driver installed fastboot showed the device and I could continue to boot into the new recovery to make a backup then go through the process again to flash it.I then flashed Super SU and one of the trimmed down versions of Gapps and now have one very cheap (£38.99) Kitkat phone to use for work.

I do also have a small confession to make though that may save others some grief,don't do what I did and blindly copy and paste the fastboot commands from the OP and then wonder why fastboot can't find the recovery file.

I spent another half hour scratching my head before realising that the command in the OP refers to cwm60xx but of course the image file is cwm6050 so once I'd put right that schoolboy error that I'd made,all was good.

Thanks again.

Edited by yorksims

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xerxes931

Could anybody please help? I installed adb and fastboot, however when I type in "adb reboot bootloader" the phone switches off and vibrates for a half a second, and when i type "fastboot flash (...)" nothing happens, there is written <waiting for device>. When I reboot to bootloader and type "fastboot devices" nothing happens... Is it possible that my phone has locked bootloader and there is nothing to do about this?

Could anybody please help? I installed adb and fastboot, however when I type in "adb reboot bootloader" the phone switches off and vibrates for a half a second, and when i type "fastboot flash (...)" nothing happens, there is written <waiting for device>. When I reboot to bootloader and type "fastboot devices" nothing happens... Is it possible that my phone has locked bootloader and there is nothing to do about this?

It doesn't switch off. There's just no visual confirmation that you've booted to bootloader mode. On Firefox OS bootloader, it just stays on the splash image. On Android bootloader, it stays on a blank screen. This is when you should execute fastboot commands. E.g. you can 'fastboot devices' to see that you can access your device. If not, you likely need to install some fastboot drivers (see above).

Guest Oceinic

Can't install any of your builds on ZTE V790.
1. ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.0
It flashes like it should

sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img
OKAY [  0.846s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.599s]
finished. total time: 2.445s

But when I try to enter into Recovery Mode, there is only green robot logo, no any menu. So I switched to version 6.0.3.3

2. Android 4.4.4 ROM

Installing update... 
Error in /sdcard/cm-11-20140914-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip (Status 0). 
Installation aborted.

Guest KonstaT

Can't install any of your builds on ZTE V790.

And what you makes you think you should be able to flash any of my builds to a V790? It's a completely different device!

ZTE V790 aka ZTE Kis aka ZTE Open is a msm7x27a device and it's codename is roamer2.

This is for ZTE Kis 3 aka ZTE Open C which has a msm8610 chipset.

Guest KonstaT

V790 is ZTE Kis III

Is Kis III and Kis 3 are different devices? Many people think they are the same

The point is that it's not this device.

There's probably about a dozen marketing names/variants of that device (like there is for this device as well). MoDaCo has a separate forum section for your device.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

Are google play services supported when phone is rooted and cm11 is flashed?

Sure, if you choose to install separate Google apps package (you don't have to if you don't want to).

Then some Android 101. Concept of root (having administrative access) is something related to running an operating system. You don't need to root your device to install a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP), you only need to have an 'unlocked' bootloader that is accessible with fastboot (which all of these ZTE devices already have). You don't need to root your device to install a custom ROM (e.g. CM11), you only need to use a custom recovery to install (consider it an OS of it's own). CM11 itself has root access built in.