Entering 'Safe Mode' - inbuilt software only?

While playing around and doing some investigation on 'Bay Trail' tablets, found some people talking about 'safe mode'.

Decided to give it a try and what do you know, I was in 'safe mode' in no time - it looks like a default inbuilt apps/config mode. Any previously downloaded apps aren't loaded or available, but wifi network configuration is kept.

You can enter 'safe mode' by: -

1. While hudl is powered up, hold down both the [volume-] and [power] buttons.
  2. Initially the hudl will try and take a screen shot, then the screen will blank.
  3. When the screen goes black, release the [power] button, but keep the [volume-] pressed.
  4. The hudl will now boot into 'safe mode' - you'll know that because a 'safe mode' screen label will be displayed near the bottom left corner, as can be seen in the screen shot.

Or this method is also working: -

1. While hudl is powered of, hold down both the [volume-] and [power] buttons.
  2. When hudl powers on and displays the android logo, release [power] button but keep [volume-] pressed.
  3. When booting has finished, hudl will now be in 'safe mode'.

Here's a couple of screen shots: -

'Safe mode' homescreen:

Safe%20Mode%20-%20homescreen.png

'Safe mode' app drawer (notice only pre-installed apps are listed:

Safe%20Mode%20-%20app%20drawer.png

After rebooting, the device is restored to your previous setup with all your customisations restored.  :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Nice to know that, thanks for the link. Came as a complete surprise to be honest, in the past if I've got into trouble while rooting or modding, I've just blown away the image and started again.

Guest Simon O

It's a very useful thing to know. If you install an app that is preventing the tablet from booting then booting in safe mode may allow you to boot up and remove the faulty app. 

• 4 months later...
Guest seanspotatobusiness

For some reason I can't access safe mode from a cold boot. I get as far as the Hudl logo with the pulsating star and then seem to stay there indefinitely.

When I try using the first method, when the screen goes blank it stays blank and the Hudl is now powered off.

Perhaps there is an ADB command or a command I can enter into the terminal?

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest r00tmydevices

Took three attempts to get this to work for me. First from h2 switched off, no joy. Then from it being on, still nothing. Then switched it off and tried again, this time I'm in Safe Mode. Will see if battery fairs any better than in regular mode...