How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest r00tmydevices

crusader58

Your memory seems fine and I believe correct in this situation. I too originally made the mistake of trying to run command prompt from a different location to where the downloaded image file was. Another member kindly pointed me in the right direction.

It's all explained in post #388 on page 20.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Doh! Didn't see that there were already more replies after crusader58's. Thought his was the last one on this thread.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest gadget437

Just a bit paranoid about the OTA update issue, want to know if I have done enough.

In Disable Service (from playstore), unchecked "SystemUpdateService" from System Apps>Google Services Framework, restarted.

in Titanium Backup, found four items with a search for "update",

• Hudl updates 1.1
  • App updater 1.4
  • ConfigUpdater 4.42-1289630
  • Update 1.9.84

Frozen Hudl updates 1.1, but what about the rest?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bow9487

Just did a Cashe wipe (for no good reason other than i was wiping it before i Rooted, so though why not) and.......ERROR!! ERRORRRRRRR!! One dead hudl.

Long story short its back up and running. It asked for an update and in my RedBull fuelled eagerness to want to root i clicked accept.

(thinking it was probably the 20150106.154003 update) But no, i now have 20150319.222108.  :( 

Could i roll this back so i can root? Just flashing 20150106.154003 is going to brick it right?

Edited by bow9487

Guest crusader58

Just did a Cashe wipe (for no good reason other than i was wiping it before i Rooted, so though why not) and.......ERROR!! ERRORRRRRRR!! One dead hudl.

Long story short its back up and running. It asked for an update and in my RedBull fuelled eagerness to want to root i clicked accept.

(thinking it was probably the 20150106.154003 update) But no, i now have 20150319.222108.  :( 

Could i roll this back so i can root? Just flashing 20150106.154003 is going to brick it right?

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question..do you know what changes have been made in your current update?

Guest bow9487

I haven't actually used it since, as i have been studying for an Assignment in BioScience. Is there a Log some where on the hudl i can grab with the changes in? Or is it a case of use it to find out?

Edited by bow9487

Guest bow9487

Ignore, It wont work. Should of tried googling first hu! Shame the Kernal is 3.10 not 3.4. Oh well. Im pretty sure if it would of worked you smart lot would of already been on it  :)

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

On a sort of side note. Has anyone tried towelroot on their Hudl 2? I have an Asus Padfone S on 4.4.2 same as our Hudl, and towelroot V3 wouldn't work on it neither would V2 but the original V1 Rooted my Padfone S on 4.4.2. Anyone think it would work? Or is it going to Brick? Being this is intel based and not Snapdragon. Or are the Roots governed by the hardware rather than OS?

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Edited by bow9487

Guest _Mark

Does USB OTG still work after rooting the Hudl 2? The OTG on mine is no longer working and I think the last time I tried it was before rooting? :(

Guest Jungle_jon

Yeah also getting the update on non rooted hudl 2, (disabled updte notifier on rooted tablet), any word what the update does ? Any word from Paul on new rooted image ? A lot quieter on here than I expected.

Edited by Jungle_jon

Guest DevBrad

Hit there! I've been trying to root my Pegatron Hudl 2 but it keeps stating this in the bootloader menu:

FASTBOOT INIT...

E:installer device ignored

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...

E:No valid installer medium was found.

And when i run the second command on the PC it states:

< waiting for device >

And doesn't change. Please help! I look forward to hearing from you Paul (or whoever else has help) Thanks

-DevBrad

Edited by DevBrad

Guest DevBrad

@DevBrad

When you Run CMD are you running as administrator? (Right Click Command Prompt, And then click Run as Administrator)

Thanks will try tomorrow.

Guest bow9487
Hey guys

Crazy bad insomnia tonight so i thought i would put it to good use. Well for Mac users at the moment at least. So i built a Mac tool to flash Paul's Rooted images to the Hudl. Its based around a mac tool i saw for The Asus padfone S (I say based it's pretty much 90% new apart from the hello and good bye) 3 Hours down and i think i have cracked it.

Im not a programmer more a Google, read, Google more, Read more. Jump in the deep end and hope i swim kind of guy. But over the years of doing this kind of thing (Since the SPV Classic) i haven't drown yet. and not managed to kill any devices either. So lets hoping its not the start. Though this isn't really all that technical a Tool. (Some of the Commands from Paul's post with some script made in to an app)

As i have mentioned i updated my Hudl so cant test it with the last Rooted image Paul made. But if anyone else would like to give it a whirl and get back to me that would be great.

Once/If the new Image is available for the recent update ill be able to test it myself.

Also to mention. It will work with any future images that are made (As long as the procedure doesn't change)

DOWNLOAD:

If it works ill look at making a Windows Version. Ill just have to pop VMWare/Bootcamp my system first.

I take no responsibility for any devices being Bricked, damaged in any way, thrown at walls or the tool gaining intelligence and turning in to Skynet!  :P
Edited by bow9487

Guest 4L0M

Does USB OTG still work after rooting the Hudl 2? The OTG on mine is no longer working and I think the last time I tried it was before rooting? :(

Yes, it works fine on rooted Hudl 2

Guest 4L0M

@devbrad

Hit there! I've been trying to root my Pegatron Hudl 2 but it keeps stating this in the bootloader menu:

FASTBOOT INIT...

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...

E:No valid installer medium was found.

You can ignore this........It's normal

< waiting for device >

And doesn't change. Please help! I look forward to hearing from you Paul (or whoever else has help) Thanks

-DevBrad

Do you have Hudl 2 drivers installed?

On your PC when adb is enabled, go to "Control Panel" - "Device Manager" on your PC and see if you have a listing for Android Phone with a Yellow Exclaimation mark on it.

If you have, then drivers aren't installed correctly.  Just right click the Exclaimation Mark, Choose "Update Drivers", Choose "Browse My Computer" then choose " Let me pick from a list " and see if you have a listing for "Android Phone", If you do, then choose it and look for an adb listed drivers and install it.

Guest ViPaSoft

DevBrad, I had this too and when I unplugged my cable from a USB3 port and put it into a USB2 port it worked.

Guest DevBrad

@devbrad

-DevBrad

On your PC when adb is enabled, go to "Control Panel" - "Device Manager" on your PC and see if you have a listing for Android Phone with a Yellow Exclaimation mark on it.

If you have, then drivers aren't installed correctly.  Just right click the Exclaimation Mark, Choose "Update Drivers", Choose "Browse My Computer" then choose " Let me pick from a list " and see if you have a listing for "Android Phone", If you do, then choose it and look for an adb listed drivers and install it.

How do I enable ADB??

Guest DevBrad

@devbrad

-DevBrad

i also see nothing except my mobizen driver??

Guest r00tmydevices

Just rooted a new hudl 2 which was purchased within the last fortnight. Thankfully wasn't forced into downloading and installing any OTA firmware updates (although a few apps were updated).Everything went like clockwork following my own updated version of how to root your hudl 2 instructions in post #388 on page 20 until the end. With the h2 still connected to desktop PC and Command Prompt window still open, I selected reboot option pressed power button to execute. When it rebooted I got an image I've not seen before. Android bot fallen over with a red exclamation sign above him. 'No command' written below. 

Didn't panic though. Unplugged from PC, rebooted h2 and tada,,,all working as it should.

Thank God!!   ^_^  :)  :D

Guest pickie

Hi ive got an OTA update waiting ?? it pop up 2 days ago im running rooted FW 20150106, also ive notice the time does not keep either automatcily or if you set it manualy, it drifts by quite a few hours slow ????

cheers

Guest EananC

Only picked up a refurb hudl 2, but couldnt get past the update screen when setting up. Tried everything such as turning off wifi, resetting to stock with no wifi. In the end had to update, can only hope now that root is developed for the latest builds. Thanks again to the OP for the work.

Guest r00tmydevices

Only picked up a refurb hudl 2, but couldnt get past the update screen when setting up. Tried everything such as turning off wifi, resetting to stock with no wifi. In the end had to update, can only hope now that root is developed for the latest builds. Thanks again to the OP for the work.

Too late now but there is a thread where some bright spark found a workaround to get past the update screen.

Guest EananC

Too late now but there is a thread where some bright spark found a workaround to get past the update screen.

Im guessing theres no way to revert back to a stock image of a firmware thats rootable? 

Have you got a link to that thread by the way? Id be interested to just see what he did to get past it. I must have spent half an hour trying different methods to no luck.