How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jabba2005

i tried that after i recorded it aswell mate and still no key as you mention....i just cant get rid of it asking to update, if that was able to be stopped or even bypassed id be in like flynn as they say...

Guest Robin Wheeler

Try a factory reset from the recovery menu it seems to work better than the settings one. This is the only known method to skip the update screen and enable USB debugging as until you can do this fastboot won't work.

Guest jabba2005

tried that aswell mate lol hence i get back to the green start screen and asked to put info in , just spoke to tesco tech support who told me to wip cache then factory reset and reboot and it did it again whilst on the phone to them, they then told me that the server is down but the engineers say it should work when downloading the update so they were proved wrong ggrrrrrr........so i have to try in 24 hours again then probably another 24 hours before they decide to go further.... Never trust an update button now ever....

Guest EananC

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

Im having an issue applying the new update and cant get past the update screen. This fix doesnt seem to work anymore either. anyone have any ideas?

Guest EananC

It still works, even with the latest update, where do you get stuck?

I gave my rooted tablet to my brother who applied the latest update without unrooting etc.

So its failing now on the forced OTA update after being factory reset. 

I'm trying the keyboard trick to re enable usb debugging, but the "

1. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'."

step does not seem to work anymore.

Any ideas mate? I think it may be a paperweight now as I cant see any way out of this if the keyboard trick doesn't work, without trying my like in a store return.

Guest robin0800

You don't need the microphone key, just hold the coma key on the left site of the space bar on release the splash should appear.

Guest EananC

You don't need the microphone key, just hold the coma key on the left site of the space bar on release the splash should appear.

Great thanks, now to see how can I remove this root so the OTA will install fine.

Guest divvykev

I gave my rooted tablet to my brother who applied the latest update without unrooting etc.

So its failing now on the forced OTA update after being factory reset. 

I'm trying the keyboard trick to re enable usb debugging, but the "

1. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'."

step does not seem to work anymore.

Any ideas mate? I think it may be a paperweight now as I cant see any way out of this if the keyboard trick doesn't work, without trying my like in a store return.

Here is what I found that worked for me.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/375388-update-boot-loop/#entry2260484

Hope it helps

Guest marikino

As an old guy I don't understand most of the Hudl posts, but with grateful thanks to Paul Obrien article (Page 1 #1), some help from 'rootmydevices' (Page20 #388) and a few trials, I gleaned enough, not only to root my Adroid 20150106.154003 but later managed to reverse the factory update 20150139.222108 back to my Android original by useing a slightlly different ending. I have done this a number of times but only on my Vista. If it's of any interest this is the way I found most straightforward :---

Prepared Hudl by tapping Build number 7 times to acheive Developer options and selected USB debugging

On the computer created a folder named adb+img

Downloaded & extracted file Rooted Image for 20150106.154003 to the folder and simplified file name to reduction.img

Downloaded & extracted ADB/Fastboot tools to the same folder

Downloaded and ran http://pdanet.co/a (Version 4.18 wouldn't work on my Vista so I used Version 4.12)

Made straightforward selections on the next six notices and when requested connected Hudl to the computer

Clicked the following Install notice revealing fingerprint notice on the hudl which required ticking and clicking

On the computer, ticked Continue and then Finish

Together with Shift key right clicked folder adb+img & selected the Command Prompt

Entered adb-windows reboot  bootoader at which point an error notice appeared calling for a dialogue check on device while at the same time a Finger print notice appeared on the Hudl

Checked and accepted the Finger print & then re-entered the adb-windows line again and after a wait Bootloader appeared

On the Command Prompt entered fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system reduction.img

After a couple of minutes of screen notices slowly appearing finally the command line appeared again and bootloader displayed Flash Complete

Selected reboot on the bootloader and pressed power switch

(The different ending as to reversing the upgrade)

At the reboot got a screen dominated by the persistant notice 'Unfortuately my tesco has stopped' but managed to lose it in Settings so went on to Apps, selected All (top line Downloaded/Running/All) then onto My Tesco and clicked Clear data to regain my original Android back again ready rooted after making Superuser selections.

(This does not seem to affect the use of Tesco)

Guest Steve Goral

Right, I've manged to root it. But I deleted a couple of apps and now the launcher seems to have stopped working.  Every time I start it there's no launcher, is there any way to side load it?  Where can I get the pre rooted images as the links in post 1 don't seem to work for me.

Cheers in advance,

Steve

Guest Steve Goral

Whats the best way to flash it?  Is it on this thread?

Apologies, I've just found the instructions cunningly hidden on post #1 LOL That'll teach me to start reading thing properly.

Edited by Steve Goral

• 3 weeks later...
Guest henryroot

Hi All, 

I'm fairly happy with the rooting instructions, where I'm struggling is my little brothers hudl version. It appears it's on 20150529.110309, so I'm missing how I can start the process/which image is appropriate. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which files are appropriate, the actual flashing side of things should be relatively ok! 

Many thanks, 

Henry 

Hi All, 

I'm fairly happy with the rooting instructions, where I'm struggling is my little brothers hudl version. It appears it's on 20150529.110309, so I'm missing how I can start the process/which image is appropriate. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which files are appropriate, the actual flashing side of things should be relatively ok! 

Many thanks, 

Henry 

You would be better off using the tethered  recovery method described in the "this could be useful" thread as it's independent of version number.

HUDL2

KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys

help to find the firmware

AFAIK there is no public release or availability of 'any' hudl2  firmware images that can be installed / flashed via the recovery function. If wrong very happy for someone  to direct us.

Guest dennissingh99

AFAIK there is no public release or availability of 'any' hudl2  firmware images that can be installed / flashed via the recovery function. If wrong very happy for someone  to direct us.

What about the ota updates. You can flash those using the recovery. But it will not be the full image

What about the ota updates. You can flash those using the recovery. But it will not be the full image

I'm talking from the point of view of full firmware images i.e. a complete hudl2 build or just a complete system image that can be flashed via the inbuilt recovery mode. I don't think (might be wrong) any of the OTA updates have been full partitions, even if they have been - you'd have to manipulate the update zip package before it would install as from experience the OTA updates all include initial integrity checks before they'll install, any mis-matches found and they just exit.

Guest Myshkin Gleb

Please help me, will not start Hudl2, the standard recovery, firmware KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys, needed Bachkup give download, thank you