How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ZetaBetaOmega

I successfuly rooted my hudl without a PC I used a Chinese app called vroot I believe I was the first to root my hudl disclaimer dosent always work for some reason I had 2 hudls but only one got rooted

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulie74

I successfuly rooted my hudl without a PC I used a Chinese app called vroot I believe I was the first to root my hudl disclaimer dosent always work for some reason I had 2 hudls but only one got rooted

i'd sure like to know under what circumstances you managed to successfully root hudl2 on lollipop

i'd sure like to know under what circumstances you managed to successfully root hudl2 on lollipop

He hasn't that's not currently possible with hudl2, original hudl yes, not hudl2.

I've already tried many 'internet' available rooting methods and toy'd with some of my own - just hope Tesco release the bootloader flashable current full build image, before they can all hudl2 involvement as without that full build, no one outside of Tesco will be able to recover a hudl2 from a boot-loop / bad flash.

Guest paulie74

He hasn't that's not currently possible with hudl2, original hudl yes, not hudl2.

I've already tried many 'internet' available rooting methods and toy'd with some of my own - just hope Tesco release the bootloader flashable current full build image, before they can all hudl2 involvement as without that full build, no one outside of Tesco will be able to recover a hudl2 from a boot-loop / bad flash.

no i know it's not possible . I just found it odd that someone would say that in light of all what has been said about the hudl2 & the lollipop OS.

Maybe he did mean hudl1 but it didn't seem apparent to me

Anyway, did i read right that tesco plan to release another update or is that just wishful thinking lol

• 2 months later...
Guest r00tmydevices

Have a fresh untouched hudl 2 to root, which currently has kitkat 4.4 installed, has anything changed as far as rooting these go from six months or so ago which is when I last rooted my replacement from Tesco?

Thanks.

20 hours ago, r00tmydevices said:

Have a fresh untouched hudl 2 to root, which currently has kitkat 4.4 installed, has anything changed as far as rooting these go from six months or so ago which is when I last rooted my replacement from Tesco?

Thanks.

No nothings changed, tethered recovery method for you on 4.4.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LightInDark

Don't suppose this method would work for Lollipop? Editing the stock system.img to include root? I would imagine it would since the bootloader and stuff are the same, just new kernel and system.

Don't suppose this method would work for Lollipop? Editing the stock system.img to include root? I would imagine it would since the bootloader and stuff are the same, just new kernel and system.

Nope I tried that and bricked my kids tablet I prepared a rom flashed it but then wouldn't boot to system due to new lollipop security that I never disabled. Maybe if someone did disable the new security then I guess that it still wouldn't boot the modified kernel

Guest Dinxton
20 hours ago, Jinx13 said:

Nope I tried that and bricked my kids tablet I prepared a rom flashed it but then wouldn't boot to system due to new lollipop security that I never disabled. Maybe if someone did disable the new security then I guess that it still wouldn't boot the modified kernel

Been speaking to Tesco on Twitter, they've said that they're not going to let us disable encryption for "security reasons". Been bugging them for an update to add the option to remove it, but to no avail (same " at the minute there are currently no plans for a Hudl update " reply every single time I ask.) 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theblarney

Can anyone explain how to root a Hudl2 through the command screen?

I have a hudl that i cant get into the settings to get to debugging mode.

If I let the Hudl boot normally, it wants to keep going through the setup options but wont go any further so wont fully boot.

Thanks

Guest r00tmydevices
On 1/18/2016 at 5:34 PM, CaptainMidnight said:

No nothings changed, tethered recovery method for you on 4.4.

Just to double-check, the tethered recovery method is still as per instructions in this thread:

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest bwims

Hello,  

I am a bit late to the game, I know.  I got to page 15 but it's taking ages... 

I believe the version I have is ok, but could someone confirm it for me please?

KOT49H.rel.android-build.20141009.191216 release-keys

I've only ever seen 20141009.191216 and am not sure if there is anything screwy about the release-keys !

Also, there is hudl update asterisk waiting to be applied.  I have no idea which version this is, but I'd be happy to prevent it.

Would it be possible after rooting to simply freeze the system service, or will it force me to apply it?

Thanks!

Brian Williams

• 1 month later...
Guest Funkstar De Luxe
On 1 October 2015 at 11:46 AM, CaptainMidnight said:

Both OTA files are currently being uploaded by me and will be mirrored by Paul, links will be posted once the process is complete.

UPDATE:

Both files are now available via MoDaCo mirrors as below: -

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB
MD5: b28c8e29ec95b3e0f84f6469038e823d

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB
MD5: 5f3e8e6750c191ade9a2951c3b987eeb

As user dmw2010 has advised in another thread - please don't try and install these via tethered recovery.

My reason for providing the above files is that a customised (pre-rooted) new Lollipop system image would be in close grasp to those with time on their hands, if you know what I mean....

Enjoy. 

When I try to flash this file (20150917.142239), I get a strange BIOS error "Can't upgrade with BIOS 43.D, need 43.J"  Any idea what it's talking about?  What can I do?

IMG_0715.JPG

On 03/05/2016 at 5:30 PM, Funkstar De Luxe said:

When I try to flash this file (20150917.142239), I get a strange BIOS error "Can't upgrade with BIOS 43.D, need 43.J"  Any idea what it's talking about?  What can I do?

IMG_0715.JPG

All I can say is when a Hudl2 is updated to lollipop by the ota the smaller file is flashed by the system first, then it reboots and then if finds and flashes the bigger file in that order.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Beef Supreme

I've got a HUDL 2 with the 20150319.222108 firmware on it and unfortunately all the links to that appear to be dead. Would anyone with access to those files be kind enough to provide them to me please?

On 01/10/2015 at 11:46 AM, CaptainMidnight said:

Both OTA files are currently being uploaded by me and will be mirrored by Paul, links will be posted once the process is complete.

UPDATE:

Both files are now available via MoDaCo mirrors as below: -

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB
MD5: b28c8e29ec95b3e0f84f6469038e823d

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB
MD5: 5f3e8e6750c191ade9a2951c3b987eeb

As user dmw2010 has advised in another thread - please don't try and install these via tethered recovery.

My reason for providing the above files is that a customised (pre-rooted) new Lollipop system image would be in close grasp to those with time on their hands, if you know what I mean....

Enjoy. 

Any chance these can be reuploaded? I can't download either of them, I go through the captcha screen and it redirects me to a site saying:

"The requested URL /files/hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip was not found on this server."

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Anna65
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, robin0800 said:

Hope you're still out there and see this! I've just found your files above when looking for a way to upgrade from KitKat to Lollipop now that the update is no longer available on the Tesco server. I have a number of hudl2s on KitKat but so far I've not found any that are on the two builds you mention above. So far I've found 20141009 and 20151102. I assume that your update files above are build specific and that I shouldn't try them on my hudls?! If that's the case, do you know where I could find update files for the builds my hudls are on? I look forward to hearing from you!

Of course, if anyone else in the know sees this, please do reply!

Thanks, Anna

• 5 months later...
Guest Noobtoandroid

Hi there,

I am also in the same boat as Anna. I have a Hudl 2 which wouldn't work, so had to do a factory reset. Didn't realise that this would mean it would lose the lollipop update, and I've got an upset 8 year old because she now can't use minecraft on her tablet.

Can anyone help at all?

Thank you in advance if you can, Emma