Todays Unreleased Update

Guest jamie_

Guest benzodiazepines

As I said in the other thread, I think it's a staged update so different batches of Hudls get it at different times, this way if it breaks anything they can fix it before it hits all the devices. All major OEMs including Google themselves do this. For example Google releases an update for Nexus 7 and it comes out for your specific device a week later.

Guest jamie_

As I said in the other thread, I think it's a staged update so different batches of Hudls get it at different times, this way if it breaks anything they can fix it before it hits all the devices. All major OEMs including Google themselves do this. For example Google releases an update for Nexus 7 and it comes out for your specific device a week later.

yes I just want them to confirm

Guest stevehudl2

Ok then ! Just asked tesco about the update. Let's see what they have to say   (https://twitter.com/Jamie_bishop__/status/552165350562099200)

Hi mate, ive looked at the posts on twitter, it seems you did not respond after they asked where you heard about the update, it would be interesting to see there response if you told them.

I can't message them on twitter as i don't have a account, I hate social media sites lol.

Guest benzodiazepines

I messaged them linking to this forum, they just told me this is a third party site and they're still "waiting for confirmation" whatever that means.

Guest jamie_

I messaged them linking to this forum, they just told me this is a third party site and they're still "waiting for confirmation" whatever that means.

I got the same message - seems standard  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christian Edwards

I just received a update on one of my Hudl2s yesterday.

Annoyingly the H2 that got the update isn't the one with charging issues but I'm sure it will roll out to all H2s soon enough.

post-875803-0-89585500-1421387273_thumb.

Guest glossywhite

Well of course they'd say that - Modaco isn't their official support channel, it's a site for myriad devices, and not affiliated with Tesco in any way, and noone could expect anything else. They're busy people, and sending busy people off to links to random websites is a non starter - they have set procedures of couse, for the sake of efficient support and for their employee's sanity.

Edited by glossywhite

Well of course they'd say that - Modaco isn't their official support channel, it's a site for myriad devices, and not affiliated with Tesco in any way, and noone could expect anything else. They're busy people, and sending busy people off to links to random websites is a non starter - they have set procedures of couse, for the sake of efficient support and for their employee's sanity.

Except that their support is the very opposite of 'efficient'. As I've said elsewhere and people here know very well, Tesco customer support people who responded to questions from Modaco users first promised a software update for 15 December, then postponed it till 5 January, then denied all knowledge that such an update existed, then promised it for 19 January, and then started to roll it out without further announcement on 16 January. This is customer communication at its worst. 

Guest glossywhite

Except that their support is the very opposite of 'efficient'. As I've said elsewhere and people here know very well, Tesco customer support people who responded to questions from Modaco users first promised a software update for 15 December, then postponed it till 5 January, then denied all knowledge that such an update existed, then promised it for 19 January, and then started to roll it out without further announcement on 16 January. This is customer communication at its worst. 

The people answering the phones are not as up to date with updates (bah, pun!) as much as the people testing, building and deploying the patches. They're just trying to do a job and get home to their husbands, wives and children. They only know what they're told by the engineering teams. I'd ask you to consider the "before the end of 2014" promise given to Moto G customers, in response to customers asking when their Moto G would be updated to Lollipop - in the UK, it still isn't out, and that is Motorola but then again, the planet appears to still be spinning smoothly on its' axis, so at least all is not lost, eh? (unless you frequent XDA... >_< - you'd think the universe had imploded...) As for Tesco being "the best" or "the worst", opinions by their very nature, are highly subjective things. Tesco sent me a free replacement charger and cable set VERY promptly, when I mentioned my Hudl 2 (now returned) was not charging properly, and on all 3 calls I made to them, were more than polite and extremely charming and helpful to resolve my needs.

The bottom line is that these are people positioned to deal with questions of the nature "Why can't I login to BlinkBox please?" or "I can't find the underscore button on the keyboard" - I'd place a wager that the number of people asking more in-depth questions regarding patches and updates and rooting, are a VERY small percentage per volume of units sold, and so they are trained to deal with the kind of "routine" tech support questions asked of them for 98% of the time, not the inverse.

I have always found that the best way to get results from human beings is to be calm, courteous and genuinely interested in their well being - "Hello, are you having a good day so far?" is oft my first question before ANY question pertaining to the reason for my calling them, and before you even begin the rather monotonous reality of sorting out an issue or issues that is/are holding you up in your using the device. I often wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall of the people who appear to get stressed the most, and seem to bemoan companies with great regularity, never having many positive things to report back about. 

A great phrase I once heard, is this: "It's not the problem that is your problem, it is your attitude towards your problem that is your problem" - we're all subject to a finite lifetime, we're all just trying to get on with life and be happy, and hopefully changing someone ELSE'S day for the better should be promoted as of a higher priority than just thinking of our relatively meaningless "problems".

PS: You're complaining that the update is early? Erm, ok.

Edited by glossywhite

PS: You're complaining that the update is early? Erm, ok.

Don't be perverse. I was pointing out that the final promise, of an update on 19 January, turned out to be misinformation, like everything that preceded it.  Hence my phrase 'without further announcement'.  And if you think an update promised for 15 December was "early" when it arrived on 16 January, I'm afraid I cant help you.