New Hudl 2 update June 22nd

Guest Ouzy

Hi I have received a message on my Hudl2 facebook page from someone who has had a new Hudl 2 update today. It says it fixes the clock and other security issues. Has anyone else had it yet. Nothing on mine yet. The new kernel version screenshot is attached.

post-1048799-0-61403500-1435002199_thumb

Edited by Ouzy

Guest CPN200

Installed. No obvious earth shattering changes. Interestingly, my wife's Hudl 2 bought at the same time hasn't received it yet...

Guest ursulavasey

I'm the person who found the update, as per the op thread. It downloaded fine, but my Facebook app has stopped working. It won't allow me to reply to comments on Facebook. I type the message, but the app just closes and returns the Hudl to the front screen, wihout adding my message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but that didn't fix it.

Guest Flashingblade

I had the update appear yesterday but held off installing straight away. After shutting down overnight the update isn't there today

Guest gp1000gp

My update disappeared as well. Battery level was below 50% so switched off to charge overnight. This morning no update and update check states up to date! last updated May

Guest crusader58

I'll be darned if I'd lose root for an update that does what root already enabled me to do anyway. What are these so called 'Security Issues' that this update supposedly addresses? probably nothing more than Tesco pushing more bloatware.

Guest Jungle_jon

Any reason to update from update?, charging, time both work fine and it does everything I want it too. If I wanted to update, what's the safest route from Paul may rooted image ?

If I wanted to update, what's the safest route from Paul may rooted image ?

Just accept the update and re-root via the tethered CWM recovery method (if it removes root in the process of applying the update). I can't update yet as I havn't yet received it - probably due to a phased roll out. When I have access to it via the OTA route - i will install it.

:ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest RobsX2

I tried updating my hudl2, but it failed, and now its not appearing anymore haha.. it doesn't matter to me because it works fine without the update.

Its possibly because i was rooted, but im not sure..

Guest afzalmohammed1133

Talked to a Tesco Tech Support, and no it's not because you guys are rooted that the update disappeared, its because the developers launched the update for a limited period of time or "test update" in order to see the reaction of the update and whether or not it fixes the problems it is supposed to. Tesco says that the update will be rolling out within 7 days.

If the update does what it is supposed to do, then you guys should receive it soon enough. Hope I helped :)

Guest hudl2student

Is it likely this latest update will remove root using EananC's method?

In theory: i) make a full rom backup of rooted hudl2

ii) restore said backup (if any future updates remove the root)

Could someone confirm and explain the steps for how to do this please?

(I think this would help a lot of people out especially straight after rooting)

Is it likely this latest update will remove root using EananC's method?

At whatever stage in the future just re-root via the tethered method. The days of requiring pre-rooted images have been minimized now.

Edited by Guest

Guest r00tmydevices

Ah, cool. Was starting to weigh up whether to continue with root on my hudl 2 after all these updates being pushed out lately. But if it's a not an issue and it can be re-rooted each time, that's great!

Thanks.

Guest hudl2student

At whatever stage in the future just re-root via the tethered method. The days of requiring pre-rooted images have been minimized now.

Thanks for that information CaptainMidnight, that's great if that's the case. Does this mean then that

in android terms they definitely won't be able to block rooting or tethering in the future via any subsequent

updates?

Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, but you seriously have to ask yourself would Tesco ever really be that bothered to alienate so many of it's current / possible future consumers. If that were ever to happen many people would just move on to another tablet.

At the end of the day, a couple of years life of any tablet unless it is really main stream from one of the big players is more than the small players can hope for. Look at hudl1 it didn't even see out 6x months before Tesco let slip hudl2 was being developed.

Without a major andriod update to 5+ it's already loosing future sales growth.

Guest samac

Latest update downloaded and applied, currently applying the root update by vampirefo UPDATE-SuperSu-v2.46.zip, however it is taking a long time on Opening update package. Has anyone managed to root the latest update?

samac

EDIT had to move the file to the internal SD card, it worked perfectly then.

Edited by samac

Guest decpvr

Is there a proper changelog for this update or is anyone able to notice/report on any differences?

I just wonder if it's worth bothering to update?

Guest decpvr

Be careful updating. I'm in the dreaded update loop and spending way too much time trying to find a way out of it.

Yes, I'm wary of this. If there's no real gain by updating I won't bother.

I was just curious if anyone actually knew what the update contained?