What are the barriers to a CM 12.1 build?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lonespeaker

So quiet down here. Any news ?

I think my problems are down to kernel issues which although I've got experience of compiling linux kernels, Ive got none in creating android ones so will have to leave that for those who do.  

As it stands, I have a cm12.1 built but it won't boot at all.  sticks at android logo for ages, logcat isn't working, so it's kind of hard to debug.  so maybe once more people get on board they will have some luck.

Guest Andrei221

What needs to be modified in the kernel for cm to work ? The ramdisk ? I don't have experience in building eoms, just what i have red in the tutorials

Guest Frankish

Seems there is more work required than we first thought to put together a bootable build. Such a shame really but I'm sure it will be figured out eventually.

Guest lonespeaker

Seems there is more work required than we first thought to put together a bootable build. Such a shame really but I'm sure it will be figured out eventually.

I think (this is just a guess) that is something to do with the aboot partition checking for a signed kernel to boot on the boot partition.  the file emmc_appsboot.mbn seems to have checks for this.   

Guest KonstaT

I think (this is just a guess) that is something to do with the aboot partition checking for a signed kernel to boot on the boot partition.  the file emmc_appsboot.mbn seems to have checks for this.   

It doesn't. We've already booted a 'custom' kernel with the stock ROM.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lonespeaker

Got a little further today but nothing exciting though.  CM now begins to boot but reboots back to recovery after about 5 seconds, whereas before I couldn't even get a cm compiled kernel to boot.

Compiling a basic msm8916 kernel boots ok on the device, but anything to do with CM seems to stop the device dead in its tracks.

Why msm8916 when the phone is msm8939 I dunno, but the phone seems to be tied to 32bit by zte.

Guest NegativeOne

Got a little further today but nothing exciting though.  CM now begins to boot but reboots back to recovery after about 5 seconds, whereas before I couldn't even get a cm compiled kernel to boot.

Compiling a basic msm8916 kernel boots ok on the device, but anything to do with CM seems to stop the device dead in its tracks.

Why msm8916 when the phone is msm8939 I dunno, but the phone seems to be tied to 32bit by zte.

Its all progress. Good to hear someone is still working on this. If I had the knowhow I'd be trying to help you out.

Guest Lukas4477

Even in the build prop, there is no mension of 8939 only 8916. 

Also its says armv7 the 8939 should be armv8 shouldn't it? 

Or am i getting confused?

Been a long day!

Screenshot_2015-09-02-15-40-20.png

Guest KonstaT

Care to explain what is this 'basic msm8916 kernel' (or 'aosp kernel' you're saying at XDA)? There's exactly one kernel source that'll work on this device and you're claiming that you've booted something else...

Guest lonespeaker

Care to explain what is this 'basic msm8916 kernel' (or 'aosp kernel' you're saying at XDA)? There's exactly one kernel source that'll work on this device and you're claiming that you've booted something else...

Jesus keep your hair on.  Using the zte kernel source and a default msm8916 defconfig (ie basic) then the resulting compiled kernel will boot on the device. Something anyone can do, so I am not claiming to have booted something else at all.

You know, you are not the only person who has the necessary ability to work on roms, so perhaps you can keep quiet in future unless you have something useful to say.

edit:

Just re-read what I posted about aosp kernel and I replying to someone asking about roms other than CM and I said that because an aosp (ie, stock android, no cm, no omni just google) kernel compiles then maybe someone who wanted to try compiling aosp 5.1.1 themselves would have better luck because at least the kernel 100% works.   maybe you read too much into things that aren't there.

Edited by lonespeaker

Guest KonstaT

Jesus keep your hair on.  Using the zte kernel source and a default msm8916 defconfig (ie basic) then the resulting compiled kernel will boot on the device. Something anyone can do, so I am not claiming to have booted something else at all.

You know, you are not the only person who has the necessary ability to work on roms, so perhaps you can keep quiet in future unless you have something useful to say.

edit:

Just re-read what I posted about aosp kernel and I replying to someone asking about roms other than CM and I said that because an aosp (ie, stock android, no cm, no omni just google) kernel compiles then maybe someone who wanted to try compiling aosp 5.1.1 themselves would have better luck because at least the kernel 100% works.   maybe you read too much into things that aren't there.

Heh, maybe people wouldn't need to 'read into things' if what you were saying actually made any sense. It must be huge a breakthrough to be able to build a kernel. After all, it's only been several weeks since I released the sources how to do that (TWRP comes with a kernel/dt built from the source). ;)

If you've used 'default msm8916 defconfig', touchscreen, cameras, and sensors wouldn't work on this device even if you used the right kernel source. Also this device simply doesn't run AOSP (not a Nexus if you weren't aware). Stock ROM and kernel are based on CAF (CodeAurora Forum, Qualcomm's reference platform source code - AOSP with hardware support and exhancements for Qualcomm devices).

Good luck with your effort, though. :)

Guest lonespeaker

Heh, maybe people wouldn't need to 'read into things' if what you were saying actually made any sense. It must be huge a breakthrough to be able to build a kernel. After all, it's only been several weeks since I released the sources how to do that (TWRP comes with a kernel/dt built from the source). ;)

If you've used 'default msm8916 defconfig', touchscreen, cameras, and sensors wouldn't work on this device even if you used the right kernel source. Also this device simply doesn't run AOSP (not a Nexus if you weren't aware). Stock ROM and kernel are based on CAF (CodeAurora Forum, Qualcomm's reference platform source code - AOSP with hardware support and exhancements for Qualcomm devices).

Good luck with your effort, though. :)

Thanks for telling me it's not a nexus, now I know where I was going wrong. <sigh>  

Again you are reading too much.... you brought up the aosp kernel, I simply said that anyone can take the default msm defconfig and make a kernel boot on this device, which you will find even before you posted your sources I had post a cyanogen recovery image for this device for people try - wasn't that hard.  didn't use your sources because they weren't out then.  and no I don't want a prize.

and well done for well using wiki for trying to sound clever.

edit : oh and just for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not using a default msm defconfig to get cm12 to build and boot.

Edited by lonespeaker

Guest KonstaT

Thanks for telling me it's not a nexus, now I know where I was going wrong. <sigh>  

Again you are reading too much.... you brought up the aosp kernel, I simply said that anyone can take the default msm defconfig and make a kernel boot on this device, which you will find even before you posted your sources I had post a cyanogen recovery image for this device for people try - wasn't that hard.  didn't use your sources because they weren't out then.  and no I don't want a prize.

and well done for well using wiki for trying to sound clever.

edit : oh and just for the avoidance of doubt, no I am not using a default msm defconfig to get cm12 to build and boot.

For starters, you might want to check your dates. Kernel source has been in my github for a month.

If you're not using my sources, just saying that maybe you should. ;) At least you'd get the basic kernel parameters (offsets/etc) right that were completely wrong in your recovery. Might actually help booting something. As a friendly advice, you're not going to get there by just renaming YU to Vodafone or whatever it's you're now trying (why not just winzip it then :P).

Guest KonstaT

Now now people, this is not a war :) we should be helping each other. 

Isn't that exactly what I'm doing here. :P Right kernel source, right defconfig, right mkbooting parameters, right ramdisk init files (not from some completely other device) -> kernel that at least has some chances of booting.

I'm sorry if I've hurt someone's feelings. I just happen to have low tolerance for (XDA) bullshit.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Lukas4477

Isn't that exactly what I'm doing here. :P Right kernel source, right defconfig, right mkbooting parameters, right ramdisk init files (not from some completely other device) -> kernel that at least has some chances of booting.

I'm sorry if I've hurt someone's feelings. I just happen to have low tolerance for (XDA) bullshit.

was just trying to lighten the mood :)

Is all that on guthub? I'm well out of touch with android, been years since I fiddled. Last one was desire HD. 

Guest lonespeaker

For starters, you might want to check your dates. Kernel source has been in my github for a month.

If you're not using my sources, just saying that maybe you should. ;) At least you'd get the basic kernel parameters (offsets/etc) right that were completely wrong in your recovery. Might actually help booting something. As a friendly advice, you're not going to get there by just renaming YU to Vodafone or whatever it's you're now trying (why not just winzip it then :P).

wow you really do have a chip on your shoulder about me trying this don't you.  Yes, I did use the Yu Yureka sources as a starting point initially seeing as how similar they are the SU6 on the slight hope that maybe they would be a good starting point.  As it turned out, as I am sure you will have noticed, this wasn't going to be much use after all, so I deleted the repositories.

Then I started to look at other devices that have the same chipset etc.

I'd also suggest, a large proportation of device/vendor tree's on github are forks of other people's work renamed to work on new devices.

Guest lonespeaker

You do have a low tolerance for anyone other than yourself, scared in case I get there first or something?  If I do, you can have the phone that Paul donates, i don't need it, I have one.

Do you think if I take the ramdisk from a nexus 4 it will work? maybe it's boot.img will work too.  you really do think other people are thick and when they publish work in progress like to tear it to shreds.  

Not once have you actually asked me exactly what I have done, so I can qualify if I capable of bringing up cm12, instead you just want to belittle me.

Well you can ask, but modaco just lost me.... yeah you're not bothered.  see neither am I :)