Is a screen protector necessary?

Guest neilmasters

Guest neilmasters

Quick question for those that already have the phone - but is a screen protector necessary or do you think the glass is tough enough. I know it's not Gorilla Glass but I've had my Moto G 1st gen with GG and it hasn't had one scratch on the screen in 18 months despite lots of abuse.

Thoughts?

Guest NegativeOne

Quick question for those that already have the phone - but is a screen protector necessary or do you think the glass is tough enough. I know it's not Gorilla Glass but I've had my Moto G 1st gen with GG and it hasn't had one scratch on the screen in 18 months despite lots of abuse.

Thoughts?

i wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few pound. Just make sure to get one for the su6 and not the zte blade s6 lux as they are sightly different and aren't an exact match.

Edited by NegativeOne

Guest Frankish

I never have them on my phones. The only one I got a scratch on was my iPhone 6!

It all depends on how carful you are in my opinion. I hate using them.

Guest Lee-e

I've got one, but it's the first I've ever had one on a phone.  Must say that I don't like it.  Screen is already starting to look dirty and one or two air bubbles have got in.

Will probably scrap it and see how I get on.

Guest BigD18t

I also don't use one, I find the feeling of them a bit odd, and swipe to text more difficult.

I do use a gel case though so when I put it screen down it's not touching.

Guest ImMarkey

I have always used a screen protectors on my handsets but I manly do this to save scratches if I ever re-sell.

If you buy a screen protector ensure it doesn't cover up the speaker at the top, I thought my Ultra 6 had a speaker fault but noticed the screen protector covered the speaker and after taking it off the call volume was 60% louder.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

I've got one, but it's the first I've ever had one on a phone.  Must say that I don't like it.  Screen is already starting to look dirty and one or two air bubbles have got in.

Will probably scrap it and see how I get on.

You know you can get glass variants, right? I'll never use one; do people think that engineers who's job it is to test glass substrates all day, every day, don't know that these things are in scratch prone situations? They know more than someone knocking out sheets of sticky film on eBay, and then some.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Screen protectors are a false economy. It's like telling the manufacturer, scientists and engineers they don't know what they're doing. Never had one, never wanted one, never needed one, never had ANY damage, not even microsocopic.

Guest Lee-e

They're really not.

Screens DO get damaged, maybe not by you, but it can happen. Each to their own and all that.

P

With you on that one mate.  My Nexus 4 is scratched to death.

Guest Wayne877

I always have a screen protector on my phones. Although I'm very careful with them, scratches happen and it only takes one incident and the screens ruined. Same rationale with a case really

Guest ukwizard

I'm in 'I don't use them' camp.   Ive had them on and smashed screens,  I guess they just protect against scratches but I put my keys in a different pocket.

Guest Lukas4477

I believe its all down to personal preference. 

My phone has its very own pocket in whatever I wear! 

I don't have one on and my screen is fine. (For now) 

Guest neilmasters

Until the standard screen protectors start appearing on eBay what is a similar sized phone that could be used with a bit of cutting / tweaking etc?

Guest sloopjb

I'm using these from Amazon "Cotechs® - 5 Pack Premium Screen Protectors For Vodafone Smart Ultra 6". They are a perfect fit and seem to be pretty good quality. I'm waiting for a Tempered Glass one to arrive but this one seems good enough to leave on until it starts to scuff.