All who can't root.

Guest Frankish

Guest sjserius
On 19/08/2015 at 8:50 PM, Frankish said:

All of you who cannot root. Can you please post your software version from your phones about screen.

Which method you have tried to root.

Exact steps you have taken would be good.

Screenshot of about screen would be nice too.

I have followed above guides without success. Managed to get root on first at tempt but was not able to get verification. On second and third attempts Kingroot failed to find root. Installed clean ROM again - same result. Have also tried 4 or 5 other root apps but same results.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give.

I have attached phone info below.

Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-33-37.png

Guest Jim Darcy
10 hours ago, sjserius said:

Try this it worked for me on 2 hard to root devices.First click oem unlocking  in developer options to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all data and sd card if inserted)

Follow this guide( http://androiding.how/how-to-install-twrp-recovery-via-fastboot/) and use custom recovery from here (http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375554-recovery-twrp-2870/?page=1)

then this guide (http://androiding.how/how-to-flash-supersu-using-twrp-recovery-and-root-any-android-device) and you are rooted ; )  and no need for using kingoroot app which is extremely dodgy.Any problems with any of it I will gladly help.

Guest sjserius
31 minutes ago, Jim Darcy said:

Try this it worked for me on 2 hard to root devices.First click oem unlocking  in developer options to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all data and sd card if inserted)

Follow this guide( http://androiding.how/how-to-install-twrp-recovery-via-fastboot/) and use custom recovery from here (http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375554-recovery-twrp-2870/?page=1)

then this guide (http://androiding.how/how-to-flash-supersu-using-twrp-recovery-and-root-any-android-device) and you are rooted ; )  and no need for using kingoroot app which is extremely dodgy.Any problems with any of it I will gladly help.

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a go and let you know how I got on. It will be a few days before I manage to do anything.

sjserius

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, Jim Darcy said:

Errm, since when has fastboot worked on this device? Fastboot not working is exactly the reason why you need to resort to silly root exploits to gain root access in Android to install a custom recovery in the first place. Wouldn't it be easy if fastboot worked like on other devices...

Clicking 'OEM unlock' option developer settings doesn't wipe your data and it will most certainly not format your external sdcard. It only allows you to 'fastboot oem unlock' on devices that actually supports that. AFAIK this device doesn't accept any fastboot commands (even simple 'fastboot reboot' fails).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest sjserius
8 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Errm, since when has fastboot worked on this device? Fastboot not working is exactly the reason why you need to resort to silly root exploits to gain root access in Android to install a custom recovery in the first place. Wouldn't it be easy if fastboot worked like on other devices...

Clicking 'OEM unlock' option developer settings doesn't wipe your data and it will most certainly not format your external sdcard. It only allows you to 'fastboot oem unlock' on devices that actually supports that. AFAIK this device doesn't accept any fastboot commands (even simple 'fastboot reboot' fails).

Afraid I also have to confirm what Konsta T  has said. OEM Unlock did not do anything to the phone. The "adb reboot bootloader" justturned off the phone and started it up again as normal. I tried to flash the TWRP.img file but it just hangs <waiting for device> you can see the result below in my attachment. 

All I want to do is be able to use Adaway.

Before someone jumps in with Adblock Plus and disabling Java in Chrome, I already know about these options and I don't like them. I just hate them. 

My next option is to load Cyanogenmod on my Smart Ultra 6. Does anyone know where I can find the correct version for my phone.

Would all this be any simpler from a Linux PC??

Command window.jpg

Edited by sjserius

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone comes up with a "magic" solution. Let's see if any evidence comes to light to SHOW it working IN DETAIL, IE, a YouTube video. Until then, nope.

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
10 hours ago, KonstaT said:

We shall see.

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest KonstaT
16 hours ago, sjserius said:

Afraid I also have to confirm what Konsta T  has said. OEM Unlock did not do anything to the phone. The "adb reboot bootloader" justturned off the phone and started it up again as normal. I tried to flash the TWRP.img file but it just hangs <waiting for device> you can see the result below in my attachment. ...

Well, you're not doing it right either. ;) Likely missing fastboot drivers on Windows, so yes - Linux would be much better. 'fastboot devices' should list the device but any other fastboot command returns FAIL (even 'fastboot reboot').

14 hours ago, macbreakweeklyfan said:

Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone comes up with a "magic" solution. Let's see if any evidence comes to light to SHOW it working IN DETAIL, IE, a YouTube video. Until then, nope.

Nothing 'magic' about that. That's exactly how you'd do it on any normal Android device (e.g. any Nexus device) and it's the first thing anyone should try. It would be great if that actually worked so you wouldn't have to rely on those shady root exploits.

Guest sjserius
5 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Well, you're not doing it right either. ;) Likely missing fastboot drivers on Windows, so yes - Linux would be much better. 'fastboot devices' should list the device but any other fastboot command returns FAIL (even 'fastboot reboot').

Nothing 'magic' about that. That's exactly how you'd do it on any normal Android device (e.g. any Nexus device) and it's the first thing anyone should try. It would be great if that actually worked so you wouldn't have to rely on those shady root exploits.

I was using "[TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v 1.4.3" as recommended. I followed instructions to the letter but no joy.  

Command window_2.jpg

Edited by sjserius

I have been struggling to root this phone, but good news for those who were experiencing issues like me, it should work for you now.

1. With the latest version of Kingroot v4.6.2.b20151211, I was able to temporarily root UK 5.1.1 firmware (upgraded from the 5.0.2, don't bother with MobileGo).
2. Flash recovery-twrp2870-p839v55-5.1.1.img using com.cgollner.flashify immediately (don't close Kingroot, if you loose temp root, just reboot and try kingroot again, it works).
3. Flash [BETA][2015.10.10] SuperSU v2.52 from TWRP (Kingroot disappears automatically)

Unfortunately, the system partition is still write protected, however, from TWRP File Manager, I have managed to remove unwanted apps, apply custom logo, External SD Write Permissions and most importantly, replace default host file with the AdAway one.

The challenge remains though - to be able to:
1.    Move some apps to the system drive without using TWRP
2.    Have a symlink mnt\sdcard1 so that one of my old app works.

Thanks

Screenshot_2015-12-17-19-29-25.png

Screenshot_2015-12-17-19-29-43.png

Edited by mar_uk
mar_uk

Guest brackehill_mob
2.    Have a symlink mnt\sdcard1 so that one of my old app works

Boot into recovery, then use

adb shell

and create your symlink

I did just this to get Adaway to work reliably.

Guest KonstaT
19 hours ago, sjserius said:

I was using "[TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v 1.4.3" as recommended. I followed instructions to the letter but no joy.  

And blindly following some guide makes it right? Fastboot isn't even recognizing your device so you haven't either booted to bootloader or you don't have proper drivers installed on your computer. Make sure 'fastboot devices' lists your device before trying any other commands.

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, LiNe171 said:

I enter the "adb devices" command and it recognizes my device but "fastboot reboot" doesn't do nothing. Always on "waiting for device" :|

*sigh* this is Android basics.

ADB and fastboot are two completely different things. ADB (Android debug bridge) needs adb daemon running on your device (and server side program on your computer, too). This is when you've booted to Android or recovery. Fastboot is a low level protocol to interact directly with device's bootloader. This is when you've booted your device to bootloader (using e.g. 'adb reboot bootloader' command).

Fastboot doesn't do anything when you've booted to Android or recovery. ADB doesn't do anything when you've booted to bootloader.

brackehill_mob, I am unable to symlink /storage/sdcard1 or external_sd to /mnt/sdcard1 (can't even see mnt in TWRP) to work, then again I have very little knowledge. It would have been good to get it working.

AdAway works fine with me as it is (just replaced the one created by AdAway in TWRP - default location).

Thanks

Edited by mar_uk

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, mar_uk said:

brackehill_mob, I am unable to symlink /storage/sdcard1 or external_sd to /mnt/sdcard1 (can't even see mnt in TWRP) to work, then again I have very little knowledge. It would have been good to get it working.

AdAway works fine with me as it is (just replaced the one created by AdAway in TWRP - default location).

Thanks

/mnt and /storage are created in init scripts when Android is booted. You'd need to split the boot.img and edit ramdisk (init.qcom.rc) if you wanted to add these symlinks properly. You can also probably just use some script that is called from init (e.g. /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh) and add your symlinks there.

Edited by KonstaT

• 5 months later...
Guest MrStab

Hi guys,

Sorry to necro this thread, and for what is essentially a drive-by post, but after a lot of failures trying to root the SU6, I changed something which MAY have made it work. I'm a bit of a n00b and my contribution is highly unscientific, but maybe someone can deduce something from it.

I tried KingRoot straight out the box, and it failed, as did MobileGo and the KingRoot Windows program. After clearing my cache/data and flashing the stock ROM again, the same thing happened.

So I tried installing KingRoot onto the SD card instead of the system and KingRoot worked. It didn't work just a few moments before whilst installed on the internal storage.

After I got temp root, I then installed TWRP via. Flashify, and installed SU via. TWRP to make it permanent. Still root upon reboot.

FWIW, after i reflashed the ROM after my first failure, I only set up WiFi, no Google sync.

Maybe it's instinct for everyone to install this kinda stuff to the SD card, but I wasn't so sure as no-one made a point of it. Maybe I just got lucky some other way. In any case, if you're outta options, maybe it's worth a try!

Cheers!

-G