Convert Z1 from ZukUI to Cyanogen OS

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Breadcrust

I have an issue where I can't interface with fastboot. I can see and execute ADB commands but fastboot just doesn't work. In Device Manager it is mounted as ShenQi ADB Device but I can't execute commands can someone send me proper links to the drivers and how to install them I have tried three operating systems and the same issue all over. I even used the Qualcomm Diagnostic Tool (The second link on the website) and that can't even see the phone in ADB or Fastboot mode as a COM port. Which if it is in Bootloader mode it should.

guys i really have a question and its apitty repsonse hasn't been that great!

i am not very familiar with the adp process etc, and have failed a few time trying to get the zuk connected properly, few things i miss in the guide..

what way to get that adb installed correctly, so it does read the zuk?? and two since i am on win10, i headed over to that zuk forum link to get the zuk z1 drivers from the baidu site, what i translated was that the upper link is the driverpackage right? or do i need more.. also after downloading them do i simply install the .exe of it or do i need to get adb to see it as well?

i know that it might seems simple for those that do this more often and are familiar with the process, yet for a noob like me the guide is missing some key instruction s to get it correctly done..

could anyone  please help?

thanks,Jeffrey

edit:  yesterday after installing the sdk i finally got adc to show device info and i assumed it was ready to go..i typed adb reboot recovery and the pinquin logo popped up, than i followed the code to see if device was locked and it just remained hanging at that pinquin screen, while showing a few dots in the command screen on my pc..i thought maybe its busy reading info, yet eventually it looked like it just hang there. i diconnected the phone and rebooted to bring the zui back..anybody a idea why it did this and what i should do to get it not to hang?

Guest Jedi-mk

OK , Paul many thanks for putting this guide together, i really like the device but still after trying pretty hard i couldn't get adb and fastboot to either get setup correctly on my pc, or my phone recognized.

I really could use anyone's help with getting the cyaonogenrom to work!

for gaining adb controll, i used that 15sec adb installer and tried to run the zuk z1 driver found on the baidu link, yet it didnt connect to it.

If there ia anyone able to describe the process in baby steps..please than help another ZUK brother in need!

thanks in advance guys..

always in adb it keeps telling me device not found, i recon once that communication is sorted, the process is easy, yet i need foolproof help to do this..

Yes, it's weird that adb devices still cannot find my ZUK Z1 after installing the driver, ZUK_UsbDriver_1.0.5.exe.

It's OK now. Download the latest Android SDK tools with ADB and uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Edited by Jedi-mk

Guest Jedi-mk

Here is how I converted my ZukUI Z1to CyanogenOS (note that this is currently a preview build with a watermark, a full build will follow soon).

• Download the modified recovery image - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
  • Download the stock (re-signed) Cyanogen OS system image - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
  • Ensure you have fastboot and adb on your machine
  • If you are using Windows, install the drivers from this topic
  • Enable the developer menu (tap ZUI version several times) and enable USB debugging in the developer menu
  • Type 'adb reboot bootloader' to put your device in bootloader mode
  • Type 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem get-device-info' and check your bootloader is unlocked - if it is not, use 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock'
  • Type 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot z1.recovery.testkeys.img' to boot the custom recovery image
  • Select the option to wipe the device (important!)
  • Select the install update / from USB option
  • Type 'adb sideload z1.cyanogen.convert.signed.zip'
  • Wait for this to complete then reboot
  • Use the System Update function on the phone after completing the initial setup to get the latest patch

Obviously this will wipe your device, so use with care!

P

looks like there's no how to flash z1.recovery.testkeys.img

maybe need this line:

fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery z1.recovery.testkeys.img

Cheers!

Guest adanoss

maybe need this line:

Cheers!

Nope! Pls read carefully and don't misslead people. U don't need to flash recovery. Instead u boot recovery mode directly from this IMG file, leaving device's recovery intact.

Guest vr43x3m

I finally got it working, the reason it wasn't working is kind of embarrasing and HUGE user error xD

Can you please explain what was the problem. Currently i experiencing same issues. Adb working OK, but fastboot not.

Guest oley spv

Hi Paul,

i trying to do with your steps, above steps are passed, but on step adb sideload z1.cyanogen.convert.signed.zip   I have error message show " loading: 'z1.cyanogen.convert.signed.zip'   error: device '<null> not found"  how can i do? help me please ... 

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

downloading 'boot.img' OKAY[0.275s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: bootimage: incomplete or not signed)

i have this error after 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot z1.recovery.testkeys.img'. any idea? Also i see "Device unlocked:true", but when i try to re unlock the device fastboot returns this:

FAILED (remote: Oem unlock is not support)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest romanshein

I've successfully reflashed from ZUI to Cyanogen OS using QFIL, yet now I cannot flash neither Cyanogenmod nor MOKEE.
I've tried Cyanogenmod, Breadcrust & CWM recoveries yet all of them fail to flash updates. 

The log from CWM seems to be the most informative one:
"could not detect filesystem for /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system...."

TWRP log message is strange:

"This package is for device Z1; this device is k9"

I believe somehow I've created non-standard internal memory partitioning. 
I would appreciate an advice on how to resolve this problem.

Hello I am trying to put cm 12.1 as the tutorial shows. But I am stuck when I  need to unlock bootloader. Adb recognizes my device I have all the drivers installed properly, but I have this shown:

C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

C:\Android\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock-go
FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.016s

It makes me crazy. Can you telle me what is probably wrong? I can get the device unlocked ??

Please someone can help me?

Thank you

Guest Amzdagger

On 9/7/2015, 8:38:52, PaulOBrien said:

Here is how I converted my ZukUI Z1to CyanogenOS (note that this is currently a preview build with a watermark, a full build will follow soon).

• Enable the developer menu (tap ZUI version several times) and enable USB debugging in the developer menu
  • Type 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem device-info' and check your bootloader is unlocked - if it is not, use 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock'
  • Type 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot z1.recovery.testkeys.img' to boot the custom recovery image
  • Use the System Update function on the phone after completing the initial setup to get the latest patch

P

I followed most of this guide, however my Zuk Z1 would not "install update/from USB option". I thought I would write my solution just in case anyone else was having the same issues.

I was able to get Cyanogen onto my Zuk Z1 by plugging my Z1 into my computer while turned on and uploading the Cyanogen zip file onto the phone's internal storage.

After downloading the drivers and minimal fastboot and adb onto my computer, I opened explorer, opened the folder containing minimal fastboot and adb, and in the empty space underneath all of the file names, held the Shift key, right-clicked, and clicked "Open Command Window Here"

I then followed these instructions from the guide:

• Type 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem device-info' and check your bootloader is unlocked - if it is not, use 'fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock'
  • Select the option to wipe the device (important!) (factory reset) and "yes"

• DO NOT wipe the media cache.
  • Select install/apply update then internal storage
  • Find your Cyanogen zip file and click.
  • Reboot Device

It should then boot up in cyanogen, and it takes about 5 minutes to load.

Guest Charlewood

Hi All,

I am not new to this, however I am not expert. BTW thanks Paul O'Brien for this thread

I have followed Paul's template, I however get the following error:

downloading 'boot.img' 

OKAY[0.325s]
       booting...

Has anyone had this issue? If yes, can you guide me in the righjt direction for a fix.

Many thanks

On 10/10/2015 at 4:57 AM, Jedi-mk said:

maybe need this line:

Cheers!

You cannot flash which is not allowed. 

That's why try to boot it temporarily if I am not wrong.

On 10/26/2015 at 10:46 AM, oley spv said:

Hi Paul,

i trying to do with your steps, above steps are passed, but on step adb sideload z1.cyanogen.convert.signed.zip   I have error message show " loading: 'z1.cyanogen.convert.signed.zip'   error: device '<null> not found"  how can i do? help me please ... 

thanks

Have you run this? Does it boot into recovery mode?

'fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot z1.recovery.testkeys.img'

On 10/26/2015 at 10:46 AM, oley spv said:

On 12/7/2015 at 10:58 AM, Charlewood said:

Hi All,

I am not new to this, however I am not expert. BTW thanks Paul O'Brien for this thread

I have followed Paul's template, I however get the following error:

downloading 'boot.img' 

OKAY[0.325s]
       booting...

Has anyone had this issue? If yes, can you guide me in the righjt direction for a fix.

Many thanks

'fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot z1.recovery.testkeys.img'

Did you run that? And did you download the image file properly?

And is your phone unlocked in the first place?

On 9/7/2015 at 3:38 AM, PaulOBrien said:

P

Everything went fine. Thanks for the great post.

Only issue is i can't update. There is an update but I can't. It will try to update and go into recovery. After reboot, the update is still there. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Update: I can update now. I have rooted with kingroot that modify the system partition or whatever partition, that's why it failed to update it.

Edited by thihaz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mahi7744

Hi I have also Zuk z1 I want to run both Gsm sim in this but while I am put both Gsm sim one sim will be deactivate so what I do any one can help me urgent I have restore factory data also but no  success 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sixfinger

Hi,

i have the same problem like Charlewood...

Every image it try to boot or flash won´t work.

downloading 'boot.img' 

OKAY[0.325s]
       booting...
       FAILED (remote: bootimage: incomplete or not signed
)

I import my ZUK from China with the latest Chinese ZUK UI.

3h later... problem solved!!!!

Find out that flashing with higher ZUI Version is not so easy.

So... ...change with QPST to old version.
And..... TATAAAAAAAAAA. It works!!!!!

Edited by sixfinger

• 1 month later...