[DEV][ROM][23.1.] Sailfish OS for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This is my build of Sailfish OS for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, ZTE V811, Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, ZTE Blade M, etc). This is an early alpha build and it's not meant for daily use (or any use really), it's just something for advanced users to play with.

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip will do). You also need to have this ClockWorkMod or this TWRP recovery installed.

20151004231859.png20151004231941.png

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

cm-12.1-YOG3C-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip (yes, you need to use this exact CM12.1 build as a base)
http://konstakang.com/devices/kis3/SailfishOS
md5:23593b90fb7be93a7e14aec6a3a95f68

sailfishos-kis3-release-2.0.0.10-20160123-alpha2.zip
md5:bf5ac7346ed5e08e32c884fd0022409c

Working:

• Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (photos & camcorder)
  • Display
  • GPS
  • Headphones (run 'systemctl restart ohmd.service' as root after each reboot)
  • Media decoding/encoding with gstreamer codecs
  • RIL (voice calls, SMS & mobile data)
  • Sensors
  • SD card
  • Touchscreen
  • USB storage (MTP only - choose 'PC connection' mode from settings)
  • USB-tethering
  • Vibrate
  • Wifi
  • Wifi-tethering

Partially working:

• FM radio - not hooked to UI yet - command line guide in this post

Not working:

• and more...

Issues:

• Display auto-brightness is enabled by default on first boot so display is very dark on devices that don't have an ambient light sensor ('Settings -> System -> Display -> Adjust automatically' to disable)
  • Display brightness setting allows decreasing brightness below 'minimum' which powers off the panel completely (don't do it ;))
  • Proximity sensor disabled for now -  wasn't working(?) and would cause display to switch (and stay) off during calls
  • There is some kind boot time race condition with systemd services and device fails to boot to Sailfish OS sometimes and reboots itself instead (remove battery, wait for stars to align better and try again :P)

Sources:

• Jolla
  • Sailfish OS HADK (Hardware Adaptation Development Kit)
  • sledges, mal- & people at #sailfishos-porters
Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

23.1. 2016 changelog:

• fix voice calls
  • fix video decoding/encoding
  • disable proximity sensor for now - wasn't working(?) and would cause display to switch (and stay) off during calls
  • simplify installation process
  • Sailfish OS 2.0.0.10

1.10. changelog:

• initial release
  • Sailfish OS 1.1.9.28

Previous builds:

cm-12.1-20150520-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip (yes, you need to use this 'old' CM12.1 build)
md5:0527c1e97841d254201b1eed5297b0b7

cm-12.1-sfe-camera-patch-kis3.zip
md5:20d028d15cc9e56c72da30fe765ff6ca

sailfishos-kis3-release-1.1.9.28-20151001-alpha1.zip
md5:8c5f1a8b4f767475051d8855778b5680

sailfishos-kis3-input-event-patch.zip (only for devices that have an ambient light/proximity sensor!)
md5:aa52626cc3be4142bfd05db68dc37c99

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

How to install:

1. boot into ClockWorkMod
  2. backup and restore -> backup (create a nandroid backup of your current ROM)
  3. mounts and storage -> format /system
  4. wipe data and factory reset
  5. install cm-12.1-YOG3C-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
  6. install sailfishos-kis3-release-2.0.0.10-2016xxxx-alphax.zip
  7. reboot now
  8. if/when recovery asks to fix root - choose no

FAQ:

Frequently Asked Question - SFE devices

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

There's an app called 'Messwerk' available at Warehouse that can read information from the sensors. I'd appreciate if someone with Kis 3 (or French Open C) could test and verify that you get a proper reading from ambient light/proximity sensor. I can't test that on my device.

Guest KonstaT

Beeline Smart 2. Booting process stopped into Language choosing.

It takes some time after you've selected the language. Display goes black and then a spinning circle appears after a while (and display goes black after that again before welcome screen appears). Sure you didn't give up too early or your display didn't just time out and switch off (quick tap on the power button)?

Edited by KonstaT

Guest scipilev

It takes some time after you've selected the language. Display goes black and then a spinning circle appears after a while (and display goes black after that again before welcome screen appears). Sure you didn't give up too early or your display didn't just time out and switch off (quick tap on the power button)?

Beeline Smart 2. Booting process stopped into Language choosing.

Hi! That's exactly what does not choose the language of the sensor is not working. But it is noted that the light sensor works

Guest KonstaT

Hi! That's exactly what does not choose the language of the sensor is not working. But it is noted that the light sensor works

??? Sorry, can't understand what you're trying to say here. Make sure you've followed installation instructions to the letter. You could also try removing SIM card from your device just in case.

And what's with the crazy fonts and colors. Grrr, MoDaCo doesn't even allow removing that from the quotes anymore...

Edited by KonstaT

Guest alex21rus
Good evening! I install the firmware , but in the choice of language screen does not respond , ispolzoanie without the SIM card does not work, did everything according to instructions , Beeline Smart 2

Guest KonstaT
Good evening! I install the firmware , but in the choice of language screen does not respond , ispolzoanie without the SIM card does not work, did everything according to instructions , Beeline Smart 2

But you get past the first hi/hola/hei/etc screen, right? So the touchscreen is working because iirc you need to tap once there? Please try to better describe what exactly happens.

Just crossed my mind that input devices are not necessarily in the same places on Kis 3 variants as they are in Open C because of the extra sensors. If this is the case, then some tweaking is required for touchscreen and headphones. If someone with Kis 3/Beeline Smart 2/etc could post a dmesg right after booting to e.g. CyanogenMod that would help.

Edit. Actually you don't need to touch anything to get past the very first screen. Touchscreen is most likely not working on your device because the touchscreen input event node is bumped down because of the als/prox sensor. Please post a dmesg so I can verify where it is. Or if someone wants to play around, try changing this to '/dev/input/event4' (/data/.stowaways/sailfishos/var/lib/environment/compositor/droid-hal-device.conf).

To grab dmesg, plug in USB and execute on your computer

adb shell su -c 'dmesg' > dmesg.txt

right after booting CM12.1 (or any ROM really).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest scipilev

Извиняюсь! Это был google перевод текста, шрифт и цвет почему-то сам стал таким. Всё делал по инструкции из поста. Sim карту вынимал, результата не дало. Доходит до выбора языка, а выбрать его никак нельзя, так как сенсор не работает. Заметил что датчик освещённости при этом работает. Может так будет понятней, так как с английским у меня не всё хорошо. Beeline smart 2

Guest KonstaT

Извиняюсь! Это был google перевод текста, шрифт и цвет почему-то сам стал таким. Всё делал по инструкции из поста. Sim карту вынимал, результата не дало. Доходит до выбора языка, а выбрать его никак нельзя, так как сенсор не работает. Заметил что датчик освещённости при этом работает. Может так будет понятней, так как с английским у меня не всё хорошо. Beeline smart 2

LOL, even bad English is better than Russian.

By 'sensor' you mean the touchscreen? Good to hear that ambient light sensor works, though. I just edited the post above why the touchscreen is most likely not working... Just need someone to post a dmesg and I'll make a patch.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

As I suspected, light_sensor comes up as input2 and bumps down every device after that (touchscreen goes input3->input4 and headset jack goes input5->input6 compared to my Open C).

I made quick patch for devices that have an ambient light/proximity sensor (most Kis 3 & variants, Beeline Smart 2, French Open C, etc). This is installed very last after flashing the sailfish zip. If/when there's another alpha build, I'll make it auto-detect whether these are needed to be changed.

sailfishos-kis3-input-event-patch.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?nc6hz24m4jghsru
md5:aa52626cc3be4142bfd05db68dc37c99

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Sailfish OS works fine on Beeline Smart 2. Thank you for your work, KonstaT.

Great. :D Can you test ambient light and proximity sensors with 'Messwerk' app from 'Warehouse'?

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Thanks but that doesn't actually tell me anything (some of those files are 0 bytes in size). Just go to the proximity and light sensor screens and cover the sensor with your hand. See if the graph changes on your screen while you're doing this.

Someone already said that ambient light sensor works (because display auto-brightness works) and I'd also expect proximity sensor to work. I just want to confirm this before I add this info to Adaptations/libhybris.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

GSM don't work. What do you need to fix this?

Errm, it's not even supposed to work. Haven't really even looked into it yet and there's still couple of things I want to get sorted before I do. I just need the time/energy/interest to do it. You're of course always welcome to contribute and fix it yourself. ;)

Still interested to hear about those sensors...

Guest KonstaT

KonstaT, why Sailfish? Why not Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, AOSP or Replicant?

Why not? IMO Sailfish OS is the leading and most mature 'real' Linux mobile OS at the moment. Ubuntu Touch, LuneOS/Open WebOS, KDE Plasma Mobile, etc don't come even close. I don't find Samsung's Tizen even remotely interesting though it might be commercially most successful. All use slightly different technologies under the hood so direct comparison isn't totally fair either. Sailfish OS is the only one of the previous which has any 'proper' porting documentation that can actually lead to a booting and functioning device (though at least in theory others would be also possible to port if you're already familiar with the project). It probably doesn't hurt that Jolla is a Finnish company either. ;)

Comparison to Android is completely pointless here (Sailfish OS is not Android!). There's already several AOSP-based ROMs available for this device (CyanogenMod 11/12/12.1, CAF Android, etc). Porting 'pure' AOSP would still require porting bunch of Qualcomm specific hardware support from CAF which would bring it closer to the CAF builds I've already done. There's just no point in doing that. Replicant is based on CyanogenMod but its objective is to also have proprietary drivers open sourced instead of using binary blobs (I guess modems and bootloaders are on that list as well so your device is fully 'free' in the eyes of the open source purists :P). Latest version of Replicant is based on CM10.1 (Android 4.2) and this hardware simply doesn't run anything that old. Replicant also won't support any Qualcomm devices because of the sheer amount proprietary binary drivers Qualcomm devices need to run.

In the end it always comes down to what is possible and worth my time doing. What comes the daily driver (Android) ROMs, it's what I'm interested in using myself (CyanogenMod). I mainly have this device as a development toy but it's just easier to maintain when I use CM on my other devices as well.

Edited by KonstaT