Bargain Watch: X98 Air II / 3G tablets now ~£125

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Readers of my Twitter feed will have noticed that i'm been tweeting about the X98 Air II / 3G dual boot Windows / Android tablets lately and i've been pretty impressed. So impressed, that i'm working on a guide to converting the stock Windows 8.1 / KitKat OS' to Windows 10 and Lollipop. Both tablets are currently on offer in the Gearbest UK warehouse!

The WiFi model is priced at £124.98 and the 3G model is priced at £125.20, both with 64GB of storage and 2GB RAM running the Atom Z3736F processor.

While it is a bit of a job getting both OS' running sweetly, it's actually a bonus to get Windows 8.1 pre-installed rather than Windows 10 - it means you'll get a full year of Office 365, which isn't included with Windows 10.

Are you picking one up? Are you already a Teclast owner? Let us know!

windows.thumb.jpg.34820a5485a547d364551e android.thumb.jpg.4a2d186c3ac52d353ac07a

View full item

Guest ayziaa

Still in balance bettween this one and the pro, but pro has poor battery life, heating issues and endless shipping times at the moment. Only the 4GB of ram interest me in the pro. I'm afraid windows 10 will be a lot for 2gb of ram as it seems much heavier than windows 8.1. How is Windows 10 running on yours?

Guest The Yellow Monster

Non 3G version arrived today! Wow! Awesome bit of kit for the money! Got my office sub redeemed. Now what? In place upgrade of Windows 10 or toy with the Android side of things? What do you recommend?

Guest The Yellow Monster

I've upgraded using source on my local network to Windows 10.  Chose not to keep anything when asked so that nothing remained of the original Chinese settings. All looks good now. Might wait for Paul before touching Android. Have you seen the partitions as seen from Windows? They are bonkers!

Edited by The Yellow Monster

Guest ayziaa

I've upgraded using source on my local network to Windows 10. 

What does that mean? Did you use the windows 10 official upgrade tool and updated from 8.1?

Guest The Yellow Monster

You simply have the Windows 10 installation files in a folder shared on your network, map to it and run setup.exe.  Alternatively you just update using the official method. Make sure if doing manually, you use the "home" version, otherwise you'll need need a licence to upgrade to professional.

Guest The Yellow Monster

Screen rotation not working on Windows 10, I suspect choosing not to keep anything when upgrading broke that. WiFi signal problems on both Windows 10 and Android.

Guest ayziaa

I just flashed lollipop. It's not looking pretty. Animations are laggy, some icons are low res. Disapointed.

Edited by ayziaa

Guest PaulOBrien

Non 3G version arrived today! Wow! Awesome bit of kit for the money! Got my office sub redeemed. Now what? In place upgrade of Windows 10 or toy with the Android side of things? What do you recommend?

I backed up the windows key, did a change product key and entered it again (so it didn't pull from BIOS), did an in place W10 upgrade, then upgraded the BIOS to 2.0.2, then upgraded Android to v3 of Lollipop. :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I've upgraded using source on my local network to Windows 10.  Chose not to keep anything when asked so that nothing remained of the original Chinese settings. All looks good now. Might wait for Paul before touching Android. Have you seen the partitions as seen from Windows? They are bonkers!

Yeah, very odd. I want to resize Android down and Windows up, but probably need to use GParted or similar...

P

Guest ayziaa

Which version?

P

I flashed lollipop official debloated I found on techtablets but it was a rom for the 3G version. My tablet is an air II hg9m model. After this, I updated the bios to the lastest version and now I have trouble flashing the right non 3G rom with intel tool. It just doesn't start properly :/ I hope I didn't mess the bios, the update went perfectly fine. Did you experience some lag on yours? Or am I expecting too much from this tablet.

Edit: My flashing problem is related to the rom I'm trying to flash. Other roms work fine. What rom did you use Paul?

Edited by ayziaa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.