GApps: How to get rid of? -> my solution

Guest _Micha_

Guest _Micha_

Recently I was looking for an answer to my question "How to get rid of the Google Apps if they have been installed to some CyanogenMod ROM?" The Internet lists some answers but most of them are "painful" like "Clear your entire device memories and reflash CyanogenMod." or they require (a lot of) command line work ...

My solution is not perfect because the Play Store keeps in the system but with this I can live.

1. Download from OpenGapps.org the so called "pico" GApps variant matching to your Android version.
  2. Reboot your device into "recovery" mode. (Details can be found in the CyanogenMod Wiki, chapter "Google Apps".)
  3. Install the downloaded *.zip package. All Google Apps gets removed beside the Play Store.
  4. reboot
  5. done

The good thing on the OpenGapps ZIPs is that they do not only install GApps but also uninstall them if they are outdated or as in my case no longer wished!

Michael

P.S. Why I write this info in this forum and not in some CyanogenMod forum?: The flow above should work for any custom ROM, the steps may be slightly different but the result should be the same.

Edited by _Micha_
The "Title" is now more clear.