You can now use your phone for Barclaycard contactless payments

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Are you a Barclaycard user in the UK, with a NFC enabled phone? Congratulations, you can now use your phone to make contactless payments courtesy of the updated Barclaycard app. Android Pay? Who needs it!

The process is supremely simple. Just install the app on any non-rooted, NFC enabled phone running Android 4.0.1 or above and enable contactless payments within the app. Select a card to be used and you can make payments up to £30 just as you can with your regular card, or between £30 and £100 by also entering your PIN. Neat eh?

I will confess that I have been out testing it this afternoon at the local Greggs and... er... it didn't work, prompting me with 'card error'. Oops. Rest assured, I will be keeping up the health conscious testing - sacrificing my body for you dear readers - by making a trip to Mcdonalds.

If you've had more success, let us know (and thanks @Maff Mace for the tip!)!

barclaycard.jpg.e8d5999039243fde6dcdb24c

View full item

Guest andybarker

With the Galaxy S4, you have to switch on (and unlock I think) the phone before the NFC works.  Compared with fetching my wallet out of my pocket, personally this doesn't sound useful at all.

Do many NFC enabled phones have the NFC part working with the screen off?

Guest Maff Mace
1 hour ago, andybarker said:

With the Galaxy S4, you have to switch on (and unlock I think) the phone before the NFC works.  Compared with fetching my wallet out of my pocket, personally this doesn't sound useful at all.

Do many NFC enabled phones have the NFC part working with the screen off?

I don't always have my wallet on me, plus to unlock my phone I put my finger on the fingerprint sensor as I'm taking it out of my pocket so it's very useful to me.

Guest T39andcounting

Just set it up on my Moto X 2014 and used it in my local Costa. Worked really well, especially as I already had my phone out and unlocked for my Costa club card. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.