May buy a Lenovo...

Guest Shahmatt

Guest Shahmatt

So around 3 weeks ago my one year old knocked my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3G out of my hands and on to the brickword. The result: a permanent smashed glass effect emanating from the corner. The screen still works fine so I'm still using the phone as my primary device. Unfortunately it does not seem cost effective to repair. So I've been on the lookout for a replacement.

Being based in Singapore I try to take advantage of the budget device segment on account of there being no import taxes on items less than $280USD. Having tried a bunch of different phones so far from across the world I do not consider myself a total newbie. But the technology seems to have changed tremendously in the year and a half I've been out of it, and catching up has been quite a task. Within the Android ecosystem I have so far owned and used the Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade), Jiayu G2, Mi2A and now the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3G. I have also bought for family members and used to varying extents the Motorola Defy, LG Optimus 2X, Sony Xperia Activ, Xiaomi's Mi 1S, Redmi Note 4G, Redmi 2 and Mi Note. Some of these phones I have also rooted and have installed custom ROMS on.

In my search for a replacement a Youtube review pointed me to the Blu Life One X, which in turn led me to the Micromax Canvas 5 and Wiko Rainbow. Wandering through the interwebs I stumbled on the Micromax Yu premium range phones in particular noting the Yutopia and Yureka Plus (which gets lots of love in these forums). I then bumped into the Coolpad Note 3, newer Note 3 Lite, Lenovo K3 Note, Lenovo Z90-7 and crashed into the Elephone M2 and P9000 (in all its variants). I slipped under the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and Honor 7, dodged around the Wileyfox Storm and Swift, and staggered against the Vodafone Smart Ultra. After all that emotional trauma I'm now lingering on the LeEco Le 1s (a horrible horrible sounding name when pronounced correctly), Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Honor 5 and the in-title Lenovo K4 Note. At the very least I guess this little rant should give you an idea of the sheer variety of devices out there.

Though reviews (in particular addressing the camera performance) are still forthcoming I sort of like the Lenovo K4 Note.  Here are a list of some features that have caused me to sway towards it and why:

1. 3GB of RAM
Why? When using Xiaomi's devices the MIUI skinning was way too memory hungry. There was a time when I thought 2GB was more than enough, but it seems that custom UIs love to keep growing to fill up the empty space. So the more memory the better - despite the hit to battery life.
2. NFC
Because other devices of this price range don't seem to have this feature - and it's useful for use with certain apps. Also you can use it to effect profile changes at home/office etc.
3. Camera with PDAF and dual tone flash - power button tapped twice shoots without screen switching on
Should mean at least slightly faster shooting, less shutter lag and less weird flash photography. All phone cameras are inherently handicapped in low light due to the relatively small sensor within. But these additional features may help things seem less horrible. In particular for me, with a fast growing kid of many moods, I want to capture as many interesting moments as I can. Noisy images be damned as long as the camera reacts quickly, shoots fast and can take 'sufficiently' detailed and focused images. My Xiaomi phone is quite weak in this regard so any improvement would be good here.
4. Network compatibility
A secret super power of this phone is that it supports a HUGE number of networks. Over here in Singapore we use frequencies 1800MHz and 2600MHz for 4G networds. In India and Sri Lanka (where I am from) its 1800MHz and 2300MHz. In the US it's different again. Also it has support for 900MHz 4G, which is great if your service provider provides it as indoor signal penetration is superior on this frequency. In Singapore Singtel provides 900MHz - but I'll have to switch service provider - hmmm, something to consider...
5. Front facing speakers (TWO of them):
Finally can listen to my podcasts without placing phone inside a plastic curved bowl
6. The Lenovo brand
Why does this matter? I'll tell you! Based on my experience with Chinese phones of unknown brands (Jiayu G2 and G3 - which my brother owned) the specs look great on paper. But compromises can be made to those components that DO NOT APPEAR in the specs sheet. For e.g - the earpiece may not be loud enough or microphone can be weak, the GPS may take ages to lock on, the USB port may stop charging the phone (yegad!), etc. Xiaomi's early phones had some of these problems but now they seem to have tightened up their act - having become a more respectable brand I suppose. But no branding can mean compromises - the processor and GPU are not everything. You need a phone that can do its basic job.
7. Fingerprint sensor
Never used one before. Reviews suggest the implementation is good. I expect that it'll be useful to unlock the device when carrying said 1 year old in my other hand.
8. Included case
Great to protect from those those drops resulting in artistic glass cracks emanating from corners
9. Potential for custom ROM development
Looking at the uptake I am hopeful that developers will take an interest. I don't personally care for the Marshmallow upgrade. But I do want existing features to work, and work well, and work fast, and improve battery life. Perhaps that processor can be overclocked. Maybe even undervolted. But it seems like the potential exists.
10. Alleged 'advanced sound input and recording capabilities'
No reviews seem to complain about the microphone performance. With three microphones it had better do a good job cancelling noise and making me sound LOUD AND CLEAR to the other party. In particular when I'm commuting in a noisy bus, or in a MRT, or walking alongside the never ending construction that goes on here.
11. Bloatware can be removed. Apps can be installed on the SD card.
Good news.. good news...

Ok that's enough of my rant. To me it seems like quite a well balanced device and priced well. What say you all?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sushiewushie

Interesting post. No idea, because as you've pointed out, there's just so much choice! Good luck and please let us know what you buy, and pros/cons of said phone!