Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest evilsanta8585

Can someone do a tutorial of how to do this on the LGG5 ive been reading other forums and it should be the same, except im getting the issue thats stated above.

Guest evilsanta8585

i get this as well once in a while

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dawid>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device '(null)' not found

C:\Users\Dawid>

Guest evilsanta8585
On 4/5/2016 at 0:24 PM, Jespy said:

You need to install the Android SDK first to make it work, I ran into the same issue last night. 

I'm not sure what the rules are here for posting links but just Google "adb shell is not recognized as an internal or external command"

Use the ZackTutorial or HowToDroid links and that will guide you to it. It's pretty easy. OR you can YouTube it to watch a video guide. 

Hope it helps!

So I get this when I type adb shell what do I do ??? 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dawid>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device '(null)' not found

C:\Users\Dawid>

Guest bluemanta

Hi,

I'm not sure if this was tested with Galaxy S5 but I'm trying to set my GS5 according to this guide. So far I was unable to install the correct ADB drivers. Whenever I connect my phone to the USB cable, my Windows 10 automatically installs the USB Samsung drivers  

It doesn't matter how many times I deleted the drivers and rebooted the computer, as soon as I connect my phone I get the same USB drivers installed....

Any idea? I'm running out of hair to pull :-)

Thanks,

E

Guest Rodrigo_V_U

Hi, I followed all the steps (inluding the last one "migrate data") on my Galaxy S5 Duos. 

It's running like a charm, besides the total memory size error. 

It doesn't matter if it install samsung drivers, I guess. I installed ADB drivers without connection between computer and phone. 

Guest guns a dols

Sir, help me....

I try adb shell sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 50 ok without microsd include im forgot use microsd

Then my internal storage partitioned, what script for return back capasity for my internal storage,,, i cant format internal....

Please help me

• 2 weeks later...
Guest djrobison22

In order to set adoptable storage up, you will need a computer with working 'adb'

Unfortunately I have not been able to figure this out. I know I have done this for something in the past but I have since done a complete System Recovery on my Sony VAIO VPCL137fx running Windows 7 Sp1 so I am pretty sure there are no ADB files left. I do have the latest Samsung USB Drivers installed to do a backup using Smart Switch but that is all I know.

I have alot of apps on my phone and configuring the adoptable storage would be so awesome given that hardly any of the apps I use that are large are even able to be transferred to the Ext SD Card.

so how do i set up ADB on my computer and when I got the the CMD prompt would that be C:\Users\name> or C:\Windows\System32>?

I have tried following your instruction and when I type in 'adb shell' i get the following message:

adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I know I must be missing something or I am installing things in the incorrect order. Do I need to download and install the following?

ADBDriver

Intel Android Driver

APK Installer

Android Studio Bundle SDK

ADB Command kit

When I enter items into the Command window do I include the " or ' marks you have around the commands you list? ('adb shell')?

please advise...I am not so computer illiterate but i am also not at the point that one can assume i know how to use the CMD section because that has to be spelled out completely for me.

Thank you,

Daniel Robison

[email protected]

Guest Isaacin

Good evening everyone,

when I first tried to configure the adoptable storage I made the mistake to unplug my Galaxy S7 too early since I thought I made a mistake since there wasn't any progress shown (yes I am a total beginner in those aspects and impatient for not waiting any longer). After this mistake my S7 showed me that my SD card had to configured again since the S7 couldn't recognize it. While doing the normal android formation i get the error message "command '147 volume partition disk:179,0 public' failed with '400 147 Command failed' ".

Doing a hard reset with the android system didn't solve the problem. Redoing every step from the beginning just results in the following message in the command window: "Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Thred Binder_E gave up waiting fpr partitionMixed after 180000ms"

A Galaxy Tab 10 from my friend could recognize and formate the SD-card I tried using for adoptable storage on my S7.

I would be really grateful for any help. Is it possible to disable adoptable storage or any other way to salvage the situation? Thanks for every answer!

Guest Abheybir

Am using S7 edge but facing this little issue, have allocated around 64GB for adoptable storage but not all apps are being transferred into adoptable storage; please guide? 

Some of games are directly being installed over adaptable storage; tried force enabling adaptable storage but that aint work. 

Please guide me to force push all apps to adoptable storage.

Guest Pulkit chadha
On 10/07/2016 at 3:02 PM, Hemza ka said:

Doesn't work for me I have samsung galaxy A5 2016

SD.JPGGalaxy a5 2016 runs lollipop....i think thats y its not working

Guest Shindsu

Hello everyone. I hope somebody could assist me on the matter I got regarding adoptable storage.

Device info:
Model: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Model number: SM-G935F
Storage: 32GB
Rom:

• Renovate Edge
  • Android version: 6.0.1
  • Software version: G935FXXU1APF8
  • CSC version: G935FXEU1APE2 (UK unbranded)
  • Bootloader: G935FXXU1APF8
  • Modem: G935FXXU1APEQ
  • Rooted
  • SE for Android status: Enforcing

Intro:
I have 32GB and 512GB MicroSD cards. So, when I tried with 32GB - partitioning was done extremely fast and worked like a charm converting sd to internal storage.

Problem:
When I tried same thing, same lines, even disk name was same numbers with the 512GB card. It ended with:

shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm list-disks
sm list-disks
disk:179,0
shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm list-volumes all
sm list-volumes all
private mounted null
public:179,1 mounted C21B-6D23
emulated mounted null
privatemode unmounted null
shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm set-force-adoptable true
sm set-force-adoptable true
shell@hero2lte:/ $ sm partition disk:179,0 private
sm partition disk:179,0 private
Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: T
hread Binder_2 gave up waiting for partitionPrivate after 180000ms
1|shell@hero2lte:/ $

P.S. As I'm saying I tried everything absolutely same, just with different cards.

Additional info:
Upon receiving error mentioned above, MicroSD got bricked, as phone couldn't even check it, it restarted itself and even after restart it was stuck on checking. I connected card to PC. Partitioning showed me, that the card was partitioned in same way as 32GB working one(after success making it private), but still wasn't recognised by the phone. As for set-force-adoptable, as far as I understand it doesn't impact MicroSD in any way, since that function is for phone USB devices only, correct me if I'm wrong. BUT, I did make 32GB card work with that function set to TRUE and I'm pretty sure it would work otherwise as well. And I did try both with force-adoptable true and with not even setting it at all, same error occurred. Normally 512GB card is being detected and recognised by the phone without any issues.

What could cause the problem to persist? I would really appreciate any help. Is it because of the size of the card? But as far as I know adoptable storage is supported up to 1 ZB? 512GB card was detected and mounted without any problems on the phone without adopted storage.

Guest JoshSmith1717

Hi there, hoping someone can help...

I connected my device and followed all of the steps as guided, everything seemed to work fine but once the process was complete, my phone rebooted itself and then told me the system had failed. I went into storage settings and it was reading the SD card. The phone kept failing and restarting until I removed the SD card. I then had to reformat the SD card to even get the phone to read the card and not reboot itself. The card is working fine again now as separate storage but would really like to know why the process didn't work and how I can get it working...

Thanks!

Guest Shindsu
On 20/07/2016 at 4:26 PM, Pulkit chadha said:

I have samsung galaxy j7 2016 running android marshmallow 6.0.1.....will this procedure work for it..??

Same thing as I have, just that my process didn't succeed. But after some research I found out, that all that cause by low performance MicroSD, I did tried with class 10 MicroSD 512GB, but obviously it's either a lie either something else inside cards causes them to be treated as low performance anyway. While my 32GB Class 10 worked just fine. The difference between cards is of course side and place where I bought them. The 512GB been bought from Chinese reseller(I know they make everything anyway), while 32GB is original Sandisk from their official website. So I assume only high quality cards can be fitted as internal memory, unfortunately.

Guest Legnis

Thanks for the tutorial, working on Samsung Galaxy Sol with a Samsung microSD 32GB EVO (Genuine) on mixed mode (66% external -  34% internal)

Guest Nekomancy

I'm using a galaxy on5 and when I do it it just stays like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> abd shell
'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>abd shell
'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell
shell@on5ltetmo:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,32
shell@on5ltetmo:/ $ sm partition disk:179,32 private
shell@on5ltetmo:/ $
Is it because of my phone?

Guest Abheybir

Hi,

My phone just updated via OTA and the adoptable storage is showing but all the apps that were installed over it are not showing on the home-screen? is there a way to enable it again and get back all lost apps?

Guest Ronald Chu

I can't make it work... I have Galaxy S7 Edge,

C:\Windows\system32>adb shell
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,0
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $ sm partition disk:179,0 private
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $

It seem like nothing happened after the partition command.

PLEASE HELP!?

Guest Slevin

Hi,

The commands completed with no issues. my sm list-disks showed disk:179,0 and the command didn't have any errors. This was done on a formatted 128GB microSD. After the command the phone rebooted. Trying to check the Storage on my settings, it just stays at Checking SD..... my phone randomly reboots if left like this. Anyone else have these issues? Thanks.

-Slevin

Slevin - almost the same issue for me. Everything seems to work on my formatted 32GB microSD, but when I reboot, it says my SD card is corrupted. So I re-format, try again, and get the same result. Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: Sorry - I'm on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5, rooted, using jkruse's ROM from XDA - BS Free MM 6.0.1 PF4 Based Rooted Deodexed

Edited by arl16

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.