Guest PaulOBrien

Guest RedDevilShot

Whenever I try to do the commands I get this

C:\Users\halop>adb shell
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,0
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $ sm partition disk:179,0 private
shell@hero2qlteatt:/ $

It doesnt do anything, it waits maybe a second or two and then shell@hero2qlteatt:/$ pops back up

Guest amitgoswami27

hello friend I have Galaxy A7 2016 exyn chip edition, When i am doing all this process after list disks its shows disk:179,32 and after doing sm partition disk:179,32 private its doing nothing and just come on to shell command prompt. no error no any massage, just doing nothing in the phone too, please help.

Guest _MikeB_

Paul, glad you attempted this. All my searches for adoptable S5 storage lead here.

Had some issues with this on S5. After following the procedure carefully to partition my entire 64GB UHS1 to adoptable, I'm not noticing the effects of adopted storage. FreeSpace doesn't show an adopted storage partition, and instead lists the SD card as having the same size as the internal disk (16GB)!

The system storage menu no longer shows a separate SD card section and looks similar to yours, so I know something did happen from this process.

But I still see a distinction between internal and SD storage. Many apps still install to internal only. Amazon instant video for example resides on internal, will only download to internal, and errors out when internal storage is full (even when SD card is empty). Pretty sure I did this right, any chance something's odd about S5? My process below:

Thanks,

Mike

marshmallow.png

Guest dondavies

I tried this but it does not work on my Note 7. After doing all the steps, nothing happens. The sd card storage is still separate from the device storage.

Guest Fazzie

I am doing the whole process, but it will not change the phone at all. Even after restarting. I have tried the process about 10 times and nothing is different. At&T S7. Even tried factory reset. Any tips?

Guest jplewis01

Looks like AT&T or Samsung may have removed the backside code to support Adoptable on the S7 and Edge. Looking at the Sys Traces I can see no evidence of the partition command executing leading me to think the code has been removed in a recent update to prevent it from working at all... other phone variants may work but the 935A does not... 

Guest ericg0ld

**Update**  I spoke to soon about my success with implementing adoptable storage.  After doing so, my GS7 (930T--T-Mobile branded, 32GB model) would randomly reboot--not the reboot loop that folks who have rooted phones run into--but a periodic reboot that didn't seem to follow any pattern, which could be as often as two or three times in an hour, and then no occurrences for as much as 6-8 hrs.  

To be sure I hadn't messed anything up, I factory reset the GS7 (used Recovery Mode/wipe data/factory reset), and reformatted the adoptable storage.  The result of this process was to again be faced with random reboots.  

As soon as I again factory  reset the GS7 and let it format/use the microSD card as external storage, the random reboots went away.

My SD card is a PNY Elite microSDXC 128gb card (Grade 1, Class 10).  I know that not all Class 10 cards are created equal, so is there perhaps another microSD card that would actually work?

+++++++++++++++Original post:

As a complete developer novice (for a few decades, anyway--my last significant development project was in FORTRAN), I was able to successfully follow the instructions, and enable adoptable storage on my Galaxy S7.  One thing that panicked me at the very end of the process was that after going through all the steps, and seeing adoptable storage of my 128GB sdc on the S7, a reboot came back with a message along the lines of an indication that the SD card had to be deregistered, and would be reformatted.  A second (and third) reboot got rid of this message, and the adoptable storage appears perfectly.

BTW, some folks mentioned that there is at least one app in Google Play that will do this on non-rooted (as well as rooted), phones.  I could not find one that does it for non-rooted phones.  If someone has specific experience that contradicts this, please post details?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevenjj28

Need help, bought a samsung evo plus class 10 128gb  and everytime I try to do this procedure the internal partition shows up as corrupted, Tried both methods through adb and root essentials. I have another card that works great, no problems. Is it the memory card it self that is the problem?

Guest ZenSanchez

Hi Paul,

I encounter a problem while i was trying to do this. After i key in sm partition disk: 179,64 private, it reply me saying: Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: command '60 volume partition disk: 179,64 private' failed with 'null'      What should i do now? Thanks

Guest bubble_adr

Hello everyone,

I need help. I have a Samsung A5 2016 rooted just yesterday in order to have this bloody SD as internal storage. 

I followed the process but nothing happens! I'm going crazy I tried everything but there is nothing to do about it, Samsung is really commited to don't get us using the SD Card as internal storage. 

Anyone can offer any help?

I followed the steps for partitioning my sd card for adoptable storage. 

When I type the command prompts I get no errors, however after I typed "sm partition disk:179,0 mixed 50" The storage on my phone was exactly the same as before I did this. 

So I rebooted, thinking that might do it, but alas... same amount of storage as when I began. 

Tips?

I can confirm it doesn't work on Samsung Galaxy A5 2016. The commands run fine but nothing changes. Tried both "private" and "mixed". My card is class 10 Sandisk 64GB. Very unfortunate. Please, tell us there is another way out of this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest na-home

I'm attempting to use this on my samsung tab A(6)

I've entered in : adb shell

then when i type in : sm list-disks

I get the error message : " sm : not found"

Guest dejennes

When I summon a list of adoptable disks: sm list-disks adoptable I get nothing, when I use: sm list-disks I get disk:179,64. What's going wrong?

sm partition disk:179,64 private does not work btw

sm has-adoptable results in false

Is my card not compatible?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Adam Staszak

Hello guys,

I just created account to answer this post. I managed succesfully perform this operation on my LG K8 LTE. I want to answer on all of "500 xxx Unknown disk" errors problems. Solution is very simple.

Problem is that author created his post somehow erroneously, so that we first show list of our disks, and thenwe show list of our VOLUMES. But for shell DISK is not the same as VOLUME. So we simply make error when typing:

" sm list-volumes all"

Because after that, we type VOLUME id in command:

sm partition disk:HERE private

Instead of a DISK id. So we need simply get DISK id. Proper steps would be (lines with // means this is my comment and do not type this ;) ):

adb shell
sm list-disks

// HERE YOU GET YOUR DISK ID, SOMETHING LIKE "disk:179,64" - REMEMBER THOSE NUMBERS

sm set-force-adoptable true

// IN NEXT LINE, SIMPLY PUT THOSE NUMBERS AFTER "disk:" AND ALSO AFTER WORD "mixed" TYPE PERCENTAGE OF SPACE LEFT AS EXTERNAL, SO IN MY CASE:
sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 60

// IT TAKES TIME. BE PATIENT. WITH THIS LINE I TRANSFORMED WHOLE EXTERNAL SD INTO 40% OF INTERNAL AND 60% OF EXTERNAL

sm set-force-adoptable false

BANG! That's it! Now go to storage and usb, there click on internal part of SD and expand options, click on "use as internal" or something like that, last option, I cannot see what was that because I already clicked it and everything works, apps are finally going on SD with OBB files! ;)

Have a good day!

Screenshot_2016-11-10-01-50-14.png

Like many others, after typing 

sm partition disk:179,32 private

nothing seems to happen, it just returns to the prompt.  The SD card still shows as external in the device, with no option to change it.

I'm running this on a Galaxy Tab 2 (SM-T805Y) on which I've installed MM.

I notice I don't get the option "software transfer mode" under the USB connection types, but I assume that because the adb shell is running this isn't the cause.

Guest Adam Staszak

On 11.11.2016 at 3:47 PM, Ranga said:

Like many others, after typing 

nothing seems to happen, it just returns to the prompt.  The SD card still shows as external in the device, with no option to change it.

I'm running this on a Galaxy Tab 2 (SM-T805Y) on which I've installed MM.

I notice I don't get the option "software transfer mode" under the USB connection types, but I assume that because the adb shell is running this isn't the cause.

Have You tried my solution?

http://www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/?do=findComment&comment=2277320

Screenshot_2016-11-10-01-50-14.png

• 1 month later...
Guest Tuckero0

I have a J500Y running 6.0.1 marshmallow and after installing adb, enabling usb on phone to computer, I run the commands and instead of it taking any amount of time it just enters a new blank line of adb editor. I reboot phone and nothing changed. Does this process work for my model or was it only ever meant to have like 500 mb of storage??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.