How to update your Honor 7 to Marshmallow

Guest Honor UK Verified

Guest Honor UK Verified

Honor-7-Android-M-FB.png

Honor 7 owners in the UK can now update to Marshmallow (Android 6.0 & EMUI 4 Build no B330). The files have been published on our website and the OTA is rolling out across Europe. For those that do not want to wait for the OTA you can now manually update your Honor 7. There are a few pre-requisites though.

• You need an Honor 7 running the original EMUI recovery.
  • Your Honor 7 needs to be running build no B180.
  • You ideally need to have an SD Card to copy the files to.
  • You ideally need to use a PC to download the files, extract the correct parts and transfer them to the correct place on the SD card (this can be done on the phone, it's just a little fiddly).
  • You need to create a backup of everything, as there is a chance your phone will be wiped, use the Huawei backup app to backup apps and messages and ensure all media (photos, music & video is on your SD card).
  • You need to download the B330 firmware from here. (For other countries please contact your local Honor team and request the correct URL).

Once you have downloaded the firmware, create a folder on your SD card called "dload". Extract the update.app file from the download and move it to the dload folder you created on your SD card. Then using the phone head to Settings>Update>>Menu>Local Update and the update.app file should then be recognised, just tap on the file and the phone will do the rest. The phone will boot into recovery and flash the new firmware, as mentioned earlier sometimes the phone will be reset during this process. Please ensure you are prepared for this eventuality and make sure everything is backed up.

If the counter doesn't reach 100% or the update fails there are several reasons. 

• There wasn't enough space for the package to properly unpack, often it has install correctly anyhow. Just reboot and check the new build no.
  • The download was corrupted at some point during the process, please download it again or wait for the OTA to roll out to you.
  • Your phone wasn't running the correct build number, please wait for the OTA to roll out to your build number.
  • Your phone wasn't running the correct recovery, rectify this and then try to install once again.
  • You tried to install firmware for the incorrect country, please contact your local Honor team and request the correct firmware.
  • Something else happened, sometimes things just don't work. Please wait for the OTA to roll out to you.

If you are on the Honor 7 BETA test and you officially signed up your phone SHOULD have received the B330 update OTA recently. If you manually flashed the B313 or B320 files you will have realised that you cannot use the "local update" anymore. As you are not on the BETA test IMEI list your options are to manually flash and wipe your phone or again wait for the OTA.

If you are on build no B320 you can flash the B330 firmware, the process is similar to above. Download the firmware from the link above and ensure you have done a backup, AS YOUR PHONE WILL BE TOTALLY WIPED DURING THIS PROCESS. Again create a folder on your SD card called "dload". Extract the update.app file from the download and move it to the dload folder. Ensure everything is backed up and then turn your phone off, press and hold volume up, volume down AND the power button all at the same time. The phone SHOULD boot into a firmware flashing mode, it will search for the dload folder on either internal storage or SD card for the update.app. If it finds it, it will start the flashing process.

Again if the counter doesn't reach 100% or the update fails there are several reasons.

• There wasn't enough space for the package to properly unpack, often it has install correctly anyhow. Just reboot and check the new build no.
  • The download was corrupted at some point during the process, please download it again or wait for the OTA to roll out to you.
  • Your phone wasn't running the correct build number, please wait for the OTA to roll out to your build number.
  • Your phone wasn't running the correct recovery, rectify this and then try to install once again.
  • You tried to install firmware for the incorrect country, please contact your local Honor team and request the correct firmware.
  • Something else happened, sometimes things just don't work. Please wait for the OTA to roll out to you.

So once your phone reboots you should have build number B330 installed and all is well. As mentioned if it fails please wait for the OTA, fiddling about with different firmwares is risky and you may end up bricking your phone.

Guest Honor UK Verified

Some Honor 7 owners are on build number B100 or B170. If you are one of them you can still update to Marshmallow. Firstly if you are on you just need to update to B121 manually then B180 will appear OTA and then you can follow the instructions above to get onto B330 or wait for the OTA. So here is what you need to do if you are on B100. 

Download the B100 > B121 update.zip from here. Once you downloaded the firmware, create a folder on your SD card called "dload". Move the update.zip file to the dload folder you created on your SD card. Then using the phone head to Settings>Update>>Menu>Local Update and the update.zip file should then be recognised, just tap on the file and the phone will do the rest. The phone will boot into recovery and flash the new firmware, as mentioned earlier sometimes the phone will be reset during this process. Please ensure you are prepared for this eventuality and make sure everything is backed up.

Once you are on B121 your phone should receive the B180 update OTA, from there you can follow the instructions above or you wait for the B330 OTA.

So here is what you need to do if you are on B170. 

Download the B170 > B180 update.zip from here. Once you downloaded the firmware, create a folder on your SD card called "dload". Move the update.zip file to the dload folder you created on your SD card. Then using the phone head to Settings>Update>>Menu>Local Update and the update.zip file should then be recognised, just tap on the file and the phone will do the rest. The phone will boot into recovery and flash the new firmware, as mentioned earlier sometimes the phone will be reset during this process. Please ensure you are prepared for this eventuality and make sure everything is backed up. From there follow the instructions in the first topic and either manually update or wait for the OTA.

Guest nitram_tpr

I'm running the B170 update, the following thread has a B121- B180 but no B170 - B180 update. How would I get to B180, or can I update to Marshamallow from B170?

Thanks, Martin

Guest Honor UK Verified

I will update the second section soon with a URL to get the B170>B180 update.

1 hour ago, nitram_tpr said:

I'm running the B170 update, the following thread has a B121- B180 but no B170 - B180 update. How would I get to B180, or can I update to Marshamallow from B170?

Thanks, Martin

Guest Gorillasan

My Honor 7 was on B100 and I have gone through manual process of 5 upgrade to get to B180 (did this before the last instructions on out), however when I try to update to B330 using the extracted update.app it first load the update screen after reboot then straight away says update failed and i get the option to reboot my phone.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

Guest SeanKelly

I'm running B121 and I never got the OTA for B180, despite having the phone for several months. I've tried the "Check for Updates" option in settings but it says none are available. I bought the phone from Amazon France and my current location is Ireland. Any advice?

Thanks, Sean.

Guest Honor UK Verified

Hey Goriilasan, it sounds like either you are trying to flash the wrong update.app or the B330 download has corrupted. Make sure you have cleared both the internal dload folder and the SD card dload folder. Download the B330 update again on a PC and transfer the file across and try once more. If that fails again you'll need to wait for the OTA.

On 4/1/2016 at 8:48 PM, Gorillasan said:

My Honor 7 was on B100 and I have gone through manual process of 5 upgrade to get to B180 (did this before the last instructions on out), however when I try to update to B330 using the extracted update.app it first load the update screen after reboot then straight away says update failed and i get the option to reboot my phone.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

Guest Honor UK Verified

Hey SeanKelly. You're not in an ideal situation there. The update will be pushed by Honor France, not us in the UK. You either wait or try the manual update process detailed above. Just ensure you have done a full Huawei Backup before attempting the flash.

On 4/2/2016 at 2:08 PM, SeanKelly said:

I'm running B121 and I never got the OTA for B180, despite having the phone for several months. I've tried the "Check for Updates" option in settings but it says none are available. I bought the phone from Amazon France and my current location is Ireland. Any advice?

Thanks, Sean.

I did the update to b180 and went fine then updating to b330 it failed around the 60% mark.   And restarted and wwnt through the setup process.   It still had my fingerprint so i didn't have to do them but everything was wiped and it was on the new 6.0 software.   I don't know if this is a good things as it failed at 60 ish %

Guest mostafay300

Hi phones c185b120 is my honor 7. b120 and update offline Ndard.aya I can do wi

th this update method to Android 6 ???? If you do not what creates error ????

Please be sent to the e-mail answer

[email protected]

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...