r1 - Custom ROM starter template - Huawei P9 EVA-L09 B136

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Ahead of my own MoDaCo Custom ROM for the P9, which is coming soon, I've created a custom ROM starter template for anyone who wants to have a go. It's a bit different.

Basically, this ROM template will let you create your own custom ROM VERY easily. Easier than ever before. All you have to do is...

• download my ROM template zip
  • make the changes to the system of your phone just as you'd like them for your custom ROM
  • run some commands on your device via ADB
  • add the resulting files to the template zip

That's it! No messaging around with install scripts, no rebuilding anything complex, just mod - and go! ;-)

Preparation

ONLY if you are completing the process for the first time, you need to set up a file on your microSD card - so launch an ADB shell and type the following commands...

touch /sdcard/exclude
echo app > /sdcard/exclude
echo priv-app >> /sdcard/exclude

ROM build

Once you have your system up and running how you want it, and you're ready to distribute it (just the system and cust dirs mind, it won't pull the data dir, so your personal data is safe), reboot to recovery, launch an ADB shell and type the following commands:

mount /system
tar -X /sdcard/exclude -zcvpf /sdcard/system.therest.tar.gz /system/
tar -zcvpf /sdcard/system.apps.tar.gz /system/app /system/priv-app
mount /cust
tar -zcvpf /sdcard/cust.tar.gz /cust

You'll then end up with 3 new files on your SD card - system.apps.tar.gz (which is apps and priv-apps from system), system.therest.tar.gz (which, as the name suggests, is the rest of the system partition!) and cust.tar.gz with is the cust partition contents.

Update the template zip with these 3 files and that's it. It's ready to distribute for people to flash via TWRP! If you have updated the boot image, you'll need to replace that too, the easiest way is to do a TWRP backup then pull that file from the SD card and drop it into the template zip as boot.img. That's really it!

I hope this inspires a few people to start playing around with custom ROMs for the P9... more cool things coming soon! :)

Oh and the all important template file...

P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LA81

Ty and respect for what you do

Unfortunately I'm far from being able to modify the phone on this level Nevertheless, since you're planning to release a custom ROM for P9 (and that would be the first one ever made!), can we (Huawei p9 users) make some requests to include curtain mods and tweaks?

If so, then I'd be asking to include V4A (VIPER4Android) as a system sound manager and also build in Exposed modules installer

Hope I'm not too perky with this

• 3 weeks later...
Guest umair9001

@PaulOBrien any help would be appreciated.. :)

This is the first time i am trying to make a rom..I got a twrp backup of my phone (l-19) and renamed the boot.emmc.win to boot.img, replacing the boot.img in a zip. after following all the steps, i was able to get the final zip ready with the cust.tar.gz, system.apps.tar.gz and system.therest.tar.gz. After flashing it on my phone, it doesn't go past the boot screen..

Tried putting the boot image from the update.app as well, but still it didn't work out..