r7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM [EMUI style] - Honor 8 FRD-L09

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

h8ss.jpg

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Honor 8 FRD-L09!

READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know.

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs. A MCR release is designed to feel like a stock Emotion UI ROM with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

This ROM is part of the 'Unified Honor ROM' project - ROMs with the same changes are available for all current Honor devices.

A MCR version with a more 'stock Android' like interface is under development.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have a custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) installed. The ROM is installed at your own risk. A wipe IS recommended if coming from a ROM other than MCR or stock. BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE INSTALLATION!

Features

• Based on the B101 custom ROM starter template (you may use MCR as a base for your own ROM)
  • ROM fully optimised with the unique MCR scripts
  • Updated power management policies to reduce instances of 'missing notifications'
  • All apps in ROM updates to latest versions (a considerable saving of over 1GB on /data!)
  • Busybox installed
  • sepolicy patched boot image ready for root
  • selinux permissive
  • Removed 'icons' from /system/themes (themes no longer need to include default icons again)
  • MoDaCo Custom Kitchen (coming soon!)
  • Multi user support
  • Multi window support
  • Preloaded Stockify theme stub
  • Numerous other small refinements - please see the gitlab commits for full details
  • This ROM is completely in version control at gitlab! https://gitlab.com/u/paulobrien/projects
  • Want more tweaks and changes? Post your requests in the support topic.

Changelog

Please see the post below this one for the changelog.

Installation

You should install this ROM on a device that has previously been updated to the B102 release.

To install this ROM:

• Download the zip file from the links below and copy to your internal / external SD card.
  • Restart your device in recovery mode
  • PERFORM A BACKUP FROM THE MENU
  • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the SD card.

Important Note: As this ROM is partially deodexed, first boot can take a long time. If you have not wiped, you can check for any issues with adb logcat. Be patient!

Downloads

Please do not mirror these downloads elsewhere.

Support

If you have a general question, please post in the topic.

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not guaranteeing that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely.

And finally...

Enjoy! 

P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guachiquey

Nice work! I just installed it and I noticed two details:

1) Huawei (Swype) keyboard is missing. Is it in purpose?

2) When I try to login in Settings / Huawei ID. It doesn't work. (I get like a failing screen slide movement that ends up in the same settings screen) Bug?

Thanks for your amazing work!

Edited by guachiquey

Guest guachiquey

I fixed the Huawei ID issue by installing the stock Huawei ID v2.3.3.300.apk I found here: https://mega.nz/#F!YdAzDDyD!gmMv8Z0w4R26AUb23gXgrg (and later an offered update for it) but I don't know where to get the Huawei keyboard from to get this missing feature from this custom Rom. I liked to use the Huawei Swype keyboard because it was possible to write simultaneously in two languages something that I do all the time.

Edited by guachiquey

Guest guachiquey

I found another Swype for Huawei keyboard APK but when I install it and choose it as a input method later it doesn't work exactly the same way as it happened before with the Huawei ID. I get this a kind of failing screen slide movement that ends up in the same previous screen). So I am still searching for a solution for this...

Guest guachiquey

Funny :) Thanks to another post from you: 

I found the installer for Swype for Huawei in the /Cust folder. So of course I decided to install it to try to get back this for me necessary feature but it doesn't work. Do you know why? I get the same visual error that I got before with Huawei ID (that later I fixed) and also with the Swype for Huawei keyboard APK previous installation attempt that of course I already uninstalled it. What could I do?

Funny :) Thanks to another post from you: 

I found the installer for Swype for Huawei in the /Cust folder. So of course I decided to install it to try to get back this for me necessary feature but it doesn't work. Do you know why? I get the same visual error that I got before with Huawei ID (that later I fixed) and also with the Swype for Huawei keyboard APK previous installation attempt that of course I already uninstalled it. What could I do?

Which model do you have?

Guest droidth

I need help from you. Could you backup oeminfo and custom.bin form  FRD-L109 or L09 and share to me?

someone who need help to debrand from  FRD-AL10  to  FRD-L09 or L19 (eu) .

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenell

Just flashed on my Swedish FRD-L09, lost GSM/3G/4G functionality.... Phone does not detect my SIM-card?

Tried a couple of reboots, didn't help. What can I do?

- Reverted to Stock ROM, fully functional again.

Edited by Kenell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guachiquey
On 10/8/2016 at 8:20 PM, Kenell said:

Just flashed on my Swedish FRD-L09, lost GSM/3G/4G functionality.... Phone does not detect my SIM-card?

Tried a couple of reboots, didn't help. What can I do?

- Reverted to Stock ROM, fully functional again.

Sorry for this maybe stupid question. How did you revert to Stock Rom? After installing this Custom Rom I I would also like to revert to later install the last 120 update and stay on stock that in my opinion I liked it better.

I have Root, TWRP, Unlocked Bootloader. everything but I don't know how to go back to Stock Rom. The only thing I don't have is a TWRP backup. (I am a newbie in Android that too quickly and unconsciously tried all this "hacks" without knowing too much what I was doing).  

My main question is if once my device has a custom ROM like this one, I can directly install a stock ROM like the original B101 from PaulOBrien: modaco.com/forums/topic/377632-honor-8-stock-rom-image-latest-b101-frd-l09/ by following his instructions:

"To flash, extract the 'part1' file to a SD card as /dload then insert into a powered off device with plenty of battery and NO USB CABLE ATTACHED. Power on with both volume buttons held and allow the flash to complete. Repeat the process with the 'part2' directory afterwards."

Or I can directly install the official 120 update (frd-l09c432b120) like this one: http://www.stechguide.com/honor-8-stock-marshmallow-firmware/ following these instructions

1) First, download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM for Honor 8 from above and extract it.
2) Now create a folder dload in the root of your SD card and place the update.app file in that folder.
3) Now go to the phone settings–>update and press the menu button.
4)  Now select choose Local update.
5) It will show the update.app file now tap on it to start the installation process.
6) Wait until the installation process is complete and then reboot your device., you have latest firmware

Or if the ROMS available in those links can only be installed if the device is still in Stock ROM so obviously not my case because I installed PAulOBrien's Custom ROM. In this case what should I do to revert back to stock like Kenell did?

I am on Android since Honor 8 release in EU so since 1'5 months ago & I already learnt many hacking procedures but right now I am stuck in this stage wanting to go back to Stock Rom and I don't know what do I have to do. I don't want to just "go ahead" (like I unconsciously did when I installed this custom ROM) and this time brick my device. So I will highly appreciate if somebody guides me a little bit in this specific stage where I am.

Edited by guachiquey

Guest guachiquey

I might have found the answer to my question:

Is this the workflow I must follow?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/honor-8/help/honor-8-rooted-twrp-modaco-rom-unable-t3462039

Could anybody confirm it to me please?

• Download your phone's latest firmware and extract system.img, boot.img, recovery.img, cust.img from UPDATE.APP using Huawei Update Extractor tool.
  • Boot into bootloader mode by switching off the phone then pressing only the Vol DOWN button, and connecting it to PC simultaneously.
  • Flash recovery first, using this command.
    Code:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • Flash all other extracted files similarly firing these commands.
    Code:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash cust cust.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
  • After doing this put that very UPDATE.APP from which you extracted the files in dload folder of your external SDCARD.
  • Switch off your phone, and press Vol UP + Vol DOWN + Power button simultaneously.
  • Your device will now get to the full stock firmware.

NOTE: If the manual flashing doesn't works or you get any errors, then first try only the force update method, i.e Putting the UPDATE.APP from which you extracted the files in dload folder of your external SDCARD and pressing Vol UP + Vol DOWN + Power button simultaneously after switching off your phone.

Guest guachiquey

I followed these steps and I've been also been able to go back to Stock ROM using the last FRD-L09C432B131 ROM Update. 
But now I lost my unlocked bootloader, my previously installed TWRP Recovery and my SUPERSU Root. 
The problem is that I can't unlock it anymore when trying to start again the whole Unlock Bootloader+TWRP+ROOT process. 
I always get the same error "FAILED (remote: password wrong)" after executing "fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXX" (Where XXXXXXXX is my unlock code)
I always get this same error using my previously working unlock Code I got via the "DC Unlocker" procedure that worked for me one month ago the first time I unlocked my device and also when using a new Unlock code I just got following the Huawei Official EMUI Website Unlock Bootloader process.
I wanted to use again the stock ROM and install the official updates but the idea was to continue being Unlocked and with TWRP+ROOT.
Can anybody help me? Does anybody know why I can't unlock again and what could I try to re-unlock my Honor 8 FRD-L09?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Edited by guachiquey

Guest guachiquey

I found it myself. Now it works. Incredible! The "official Huawei Unlock bootloader" method fails to me giving me a non-working Unlock code. The "DC Unlocker" method works perfectly and it failed to me because for some unknown reason there was a FXXXXXX typo in the pasted coded I had saved. A FXXXXXX typo when I copied/Pasted it! I had to pay again 4€  to get a fully working code equal to the one I already had but without the typo!. Well I am done for now.