CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ?

Guest nontha

I am using Stock GB rom in G300 . In the recovery mode , there is "apply update from sd card" option . My question is since I am using Stock Rom , is only UPDATE.APP files able to be uploaded using that option , or can Zip files too be uploaded  ? 

If Zip files are allowed to be uploaded which I tried to upload, and I got the "E:Signature verification failed. Installation aborted" error . My zip files is called META-INF.zip . Inside META-INF.zip i.e. extracting , there are 4 files and a folder : -

a.)android.rsa - certificate

b.)manifest.mf

c.)cert.sf

d.)"com" folder - having update-binary and update-script

e.) build.prop - which has been edited in notepad by adding a code to enable usb debugging 

The reason I am uploading this META-INF.zip is to be able to enable USB debugging , which I learned that I could do by uploading the META-INF.zip file, by reading some articles in the internet , specifically https://www.isrgrajan.com/articles/computer/mobile/how-to-enable-usb-debugging-in-android-using-recovery-mode/

So to prevent signature verification error, should the signature of STOCK ROM must be same as the signature of the file uploaded ? . I dont know anything about signing zips or signature . 

I have never ever rooted or installed a custom ROM . My phone's touchscreen will never work cause there is a problem in the phone's board itself which cant be traced or repaired and thus even if I install a new touchscreen, it wont work . And because the touchscreen wont work , it is risky to attempt rooting .

My aim is to retrieve the data in my internal memory , and not necessarily to get the phone back to working condition .

If I succeed in enabling USB debugging , I could control the phone from PC using Android Screencast or I could use ADB; and thus save or copy my internal memory . I have the following doubts .

1.)Is the signature of STOCK Rom called a signature test key or something ? Where do i get the signature of the Stock Rom - Is it in build.prop file? If not , could I get the signature from Huawei by asking them or sending a mail requesting the signature ? 

2.)Should the signature of ROM match the signature of the Zip file OR any specific files inside the Zip file like for e.g. android.rsa(certificate) OR should the signature of all files i.e. build.prop, manifest.mf etc.... all of them be the same as that of the ROM ?

3.)Thus if I get the signature test key of ROM , can I sign the zip file or any other file myself using an external program so that the sign matches the ROM's signature ? Cause I saw a program by someone which allows us to sign zip files . And just like signing zip files , could other files inside the META-INF.zip like android.rs, build.prop , etc... be signed too using some software ? 

3.) What is the update-binary file and update-script file and what are the uses of it ?

Please help .

Edited by nontha

Guest wbrambley

Hmm, I would reboot in fastboot, fastboot flash a custom recovery and use adb pull while in recovery. I'm sure the internal sd partition is mounted by default. You will never be able to flash anything but a stock ROM from stock recovery.

6 hours ago, wbrambley said:

I'm sure the internal sd partition is mounted by default. 

Did you mean internal phone memory by "internal sd partition" ? Will my internal memory be wiped in the process of fastboot and flashing a custom recovery ? Shouldnt i unlock the bootloader before doing this & wont unlocking bootloader wipe the internal memory ? 

6 hours ago, wbrambley said:

You will never be able to flash anything but a stock ROM from stock recovery.

Even Zips with same signature as the Stock Rom cant be uploaded ? Or only UPDATE.APP (official huawei update file) can be uploaded & third-party or custom Zips cant be uploaded if Stock rom&recovery is used ?

Edited by nontha

On 10/27/2016 at 0:02 AM, wbrambley said:

No, your internal memory will not be wiped.

I think from memory the boot loader wasn't locked until the ice cream update.

How can I know if my bootloader is unlocked or not ? My fear is I am using Stock ROM 882, which is different from the stock rom others in this forum have, so I dont know if its bootloader is unlocked or not. How can I reboot in fastboot ? When i was using the phone i.e. when it was in working condition , I had seen a "Turn on fastboot" option in Settings menu . As far as I remember , I had enabled this fastboot option in the Settings menu . Is that the same fastboot you are mentioning ? or is it some command or code in adb that you meant (I saw some examples in the internet) ? Also could you please tell me what 'internal sd partition' being mounted by default means ?

Edited by nontha

Guest wbrambley

Enter fastboot by holding volume down and power buttons at the same time. Assuming you have installed android SDK to use ADB you will have fastboot in the same folder. Plug your phone in. Type in fastboot devices to see if your phone is recognised. Then type in fastboot oem device-info.

Hopefully this tells you it is unlocked or not.

If so, fastboot flash recovery (recovery name here. img make sure you get a recovery suitable for gingerbread.

27 minutes ago, wbrambley said:

Enter fastboot by holding volume down and power buttons at the same time. Assuming you have installed android SDK to use ADB you will have fastboot in the same folder. Plug your phone in. Type in fastboot devices to see if your phone is recognised. Then type in fastboot oem device-info.

Hopefully this tells you it is unlocked or not.

If so, fastboot flash recovery (recovery name here. img make sure you get a recovery suitable for gingerbread.

Isnt Volume down + Power button going to recovery mode - The one with "apply update from sd card , wipe cache , wipe user data" etc ? Is that the same as fastboot ?

Edited by nontha

I am going to try to use recovery.img . Could there be any recovery.img that enables USB debugging - so that I can view my Notes using Android Screencast i.e. Memo app in my phone which cant be pulled using adb recovery ? 

20 minutes ago, wbrambley said:

OK, maybe it's power up then. It's been a long time since I fastboot a g300.

I am going to try to use recovery.img . I am going to search for a recovery.img file , but is there a possibility that there could be any recovery.img that enables USB debugging - so that I can view my Notes using Android Screencast i.e. Memo app in my phone which cant be pulled using adb recovery ? 

Guest wbrambley

USB debug will be enabled while you are in recovery. You may be able to mount partitions like /data from recovery via ADB but I haven't tried it. Where in your phone is the notes/files you are trying to recover?

44 minutes ago, wbrambley said:

USB debug will be enabled while you are in recovery. You may be able to mount partitions like /data from recovery via ADB but I haven't tried it. Where in your phone is the notes/files you are trying to recover?

I have wondered for a long time where the memo's of the notepad app are store . I searched in my sd card . Its not there .  I read in a post of the Y300 mobile of someone ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/help/huawei-ascend-y300-store-notes-t2810932) who was trying to access the memo app -  He wrote he didnt find the memo folder in the internal memory , and some one else said the memo files OR the notepad apk data will most probably be in some SQL file or different file type which cant be decrypted . I suppose the same problem will be there in the G300 too . The problem is the Notepad app is a Stock pre-installed app  & thus i also dont know whether it is in the system reserved memory (100mb) which is seperate from internal memory and external sd card - such that it cannot be accessed . 

I read somewhere in fastboot mode , the screen goes pink & for some guys the data in the phone was wiped or factory reseted - > could that happen?. Is the moment when the pink screen comes the exact moment when i should connect my phone via usb to PC ? 

And by recovery.img , I guess you mean recoveries like CWM , TWRP etc ?

Edited by nontha

58 minutes ago, wbrambley said:

Could you also tell me just one thing - I am confused between recovery and rooting . For example in this article http://huaweinews.com/2013/09/root-huawei-ascend-g300/ 

it is told to use superrecovery program which ultimately leads to rooting the phone ? Is both recovery and rooting interconnected i.e. you can't have one without the other ? 

I know that rooting is to gain superuser administrator privilege access so as to flash custom roms , but i dont know whether rooting is needed to flash recoveries ? Is Recoveries like CWM , TWRP etc used to try to repair the phone or get bricked phones back to working , just like we use Windows Recovery in computers . 

I now understand there are 2 options - 1.) Fastboot -> android sdk(use android multitools?& then command prompt to fastboot) -> flash custom recovery so as to enable usb debugging and adb -> use adb to pull data

2.) fastboot - > install superrecovery.bat and get the phone rooted - > use adb to pull data 

Edited by nontha

Guest wbrambley

Data will be wiped if there is update.app in dload folder on the SD card that is not in your phone. I'm guessing your "notes" will be stored in /data/data/com. whatever.your.apps.handle.is/ (pull everything from here, find the file later)

Maybe an idea to pull the apk file for your notes application too just in case you need it to open your file.

21 minutes ago, wbrambley said:

Maybe an idea to pull the apk file for your notes application too just in case you need it to open your file.

Ok . Thanks . I will try! .

Is there any adb command to copy the whole internal memory to my PC or to sd card ?

Edited by nontha

Guest wbrambley

"whole internal memory"? Your phone can have up to 64 different partitions.

Perhaps just focus on trying to pull the /data partition for now I.e. adb pull /data c:\phonedata

On 10/27/2016 at 11:07 AM, wbrambley said:

"whole internal memory"? Your phone can have up to 64 different partitions.

Perhaps just focus on trying to pull the /data partition for now I.e. adb pull /data c:\phonedata

I was reading as much as I could about fastboot , adb , rooting , custom ROM and all that stuff in the past few days . There is so much to know if we want to learn about android , that its really depressing. I have a few doubts which I want to clear before attempting all the procedure with fastboot ,adb etc  : -

1.) Just out of curiosity , Is it possible to pull data using fastboot commands in fastboot itself,i.e. without having to flash recovery ? . From what I have read, it seems fastboot can only flash and control entire partitions and not edit or copy or remove single files and folders etc ; but I am just asking since long time members of android community might know if there is any such thing  .

2.) You mentioned that if I inadvertently kept stock official update.app in my sd card, then when i boot into fastboot mode, the update.app might be flashed automatically . My doubt is will this happen when update.app is kept in root directory of sd card OR when it is kept in a folder which we name 'dload' which is kept inside sd card .

Also , instead of sd card , if the update.app was in the internal memory , will it still happen i..e will the phone search for an update file in the internal memory .

3.) You were right about Vol. Down + Power button will go to fastboot mode . 

Does vol.up + vol. down + power button cause factory reset OR does it cause automatic flash upgrade of whatever stock upgrade file is kept in sd card or internal memory ?

Instead of stock ROM , if it was a stock recovery image , will fastboot mode automatically flash even that & if so , will I then have a re-installed stock recovery?

4.) Does flashing a custom recovery like cwm or unlocking bootloader(which I dont have to but still just asking) root the phone ? From what I have read in the internet , it doesnt root the phone . But there are too many conflicting opinions in the internet .  

5.) Does fastboot mode have the ability to flash UNSIGNED zips (if i use fastboot flash  or fastboot update zip command) ? And similarly, because of this reason, i kept a custom rom inside sd card instead of stock rom , will fastboot automatically flash even a custom ROM (unsigned or different sign comapred to stock ROMs) when I boot into fastboot mode ?

Does fastboot flash command only flash .img files OR does it flash zip files too ? 

6.) A slight confusion I had - > If my bootloader is already unlocked , shouldnt I be able to flash Custom Roms and custom recovery using 'apply update from sd card' even in the stock recovery mode ->Or is it because i am having stock recovery mode, thats why we will get signature verification error when trying to install third-party custom Roms and recoveries .

7.) After booting into fastboot mode and the words "fastboot" appears in screen , is that the exact moment when i should plug my phone via USB cable to PC ? And just like adb commands , I must type fastboot commands in the command prompt in my laptop , right ?

8.) Is rooting a necessary prerequisite for installing or flashing custom Recovery ? This guide says its necessary : -

https://theunlockr.com/2013/06/06/how-to-flash-a-custom-recovery-on-the-huawei-ascend-g300/  

& this too -  

If so , I havent rooted and rooting requires USB Debugging too .

So , i am confused what this all means .

9?) You said that we must choose a recovery that is compatible with Gingerbread .  I am looking at custom recoveries made by Dazzozo . If I install one of his cwm recoveries, shouldnt i have a CWM Rom in my phone instead of the stock ROM ? 

OR is the only thing that matter is that the rom inside my phone be Gingerbread and NOT ICS or higher ? i.e. ROM being stock or custom doesnt matter ? 

10.)Suppose I am flashing cwm recovery image named "cwm.img " & I had opened the command prompt inside platform-tools folder in android sdk folder - > while doing the command "fastboot flash recovery cwm.img" ; where should the cwm.img file be ? - should i place it in sd card or PC or should i place it inside the same platform-tools folder ?

OR could i give the full address of the file like -> fastboot flash recovery  /sdcard/cwm.img 
OR fastboot flash recovery  C:\Desktop\cwm.img

11.) After i flash recovery.img using fasboot , which command should i enter to reboot the phone into recovery mode -> is it fastboot reboot-bootloader ? OR fastboot reboot recovery OR should i boot into recovery using fastboot boot recovery.img ?

And Thank You . Because of You , I now have working knowledge of android enough to get me out of such problems in the future .

Edited by nontha

Guest wbrambley

Whatever you do check the boot loader unlocked status first.

1 I am fairly sure you can't fastboot pull. Fastboot will only write .IMG files not zip updates.

2 just use adb shell and rm any update.app files

3 If you don't need it, don't worry about it. Yes I think from memory it will attempt a forced upgrade. But only to a higher Bxxx version or b895 to b926

4 the recovery is independent from the ROM. The reason I said make sure it's compatible was(also from memory) the/data partition became corrupted on restore.

Flashing recovery alone will not root your phone although some newer recoveries will ask you if you want to flash su.

5 First use fastboot to check your boot loader status BEFORE attempting to flash anything. fastboot will only flash IMG files.

6 "apply update from sd card" checks the signature of the file.

7 yes And yes you use CMD/bash prompt

8 no, after reading that guide it does not say root is needed.

9 see 3.

10 Also easier to put recovery.IMG in the same folder as fastboot on your PC. This saves typing the full path to the file.

11 fastboot reboot, then I guess because you don't have ADB enabled in stock ROM you can pull the battery for a few seconds and reboot to recovery using pwr and vol up keys.

Maybe you can fastboot reboot and hold the vol up key at the same time- I've not tried this but it should work.

2 hours ago, wbrambley said:

Here is a recovery IMG that should work:

https://mega.nz/#!DN41QCrD!lhL7UTDK_d0rl02olTIt9CNk-AMfdd_GB_V1TbwWxDs

It's an old cwm5 recovery.

I cant view that page . I think the mega.nz site is either blocked by my ISP or blocked in my region . Could you tell me the name of the cwm image file . I can then search for it in the internet .

Edited by nontha

5 hours ago, wbrambley said:

Here is a recovery IMG that should work:

https://mega.nz/#!DN41QCrD!lhL7UTDK_d0rl02olTIt9CNk-AMfdd_GB_V1TbwWxDs

It's an old cwm5 recovery.

Yes . That site is blocked by my ISP or in my region . I tried to access it via proxy sites and via my friend's network connection . But it didnt work . So, I need that name of the recovery image .

I know I am asking this again - >about whether rooting is necessary for flashing custom recovery . In that first link https://theunlockr.com/2013/06/06/how-to-flash-a-custom-recovery-on-the-huawei-ascend-g300/ , there is " You must have rooted your device before doing this procedure" line .

In the 2nd link - > page 64 of that thread i..e . its mentioned "You must have root and then install CWM"

And in this new link I found http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-install-clockwork-mod-recovery-2-5-1-8-for-the-huawei-ascend.282068/ - > "You must be rooted. " line . 

I just want to know why there are so many different opinions about this in the internet .

And also, would that  Clock Work Mod Recovery 2.5.1.8  mentioned in the 3rd link work in my phone ? 

Guest wbrambley

The command to see the bootloader status is fastboot oem get-bootinfo

make sure its unlocked before going further.

root@william-Studio-Slim-540s:/home/william# fastboot oem get-bootinfo

Should read something like this: (maybe bootloader version is different)
(bootloader)    
(bootloader)     Bootloader Lock State: UNLOCKED

(bootloader)     System State: Bootloader in UNLOCKED state
(bootloader)     Bootloader Version: 001.001.000
(bootloader)    
OKAY [  0.005s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

Take the zip file from here and extract recovery.img.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/e208f49ff9/

Edited by wbrambley
updated info

15 hours ago, wbrambley said:

The command to see the bootloader status is fastboot oem get-bootinfo

make sure its unlocked before going further.

root@william-Studio-Slim-540s:/home/william# fastboot oem get-bootinfo

Should read something like this: (maybe bootloader version is different)
(bootloader)    
(bootloader)     Bootloader Lock State: UNLOCKED

(bootloader)     System State: Bootloader in UNLOCKED state
(bootloader)     Bootloader Version: 001.001.000
(bootloader)    
OKAY [  0.005s]
finished. total time: 0.005s

Take the zip file from here and extract recovery.img.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/e208f49ff9/

Even solidfiles is blocked by my ISP . So in the end , I installed a VPN and accessed both websites and downloaded the files . Now i have recovery image from mega.nz and one extracted from solidfiles zip . Both of them look the same and have the same file-size , so I assume its the same thing ?

Just curious about this one - > The zip is called B895 .  Isnt that the name of a Stock rom or update of huawei g300 . So does this mean the zip file is a bundle having a stock rom + a custom recovery . So like you said , this is possible because Recovery is independent of ROM i.e. we can flash a custom Recovery alongside a stock ROM ?

Lastly , You mentioned that , that its best that the recovery be compatible with Gingerbread . Is it because the ICS roms have different partition sizes compared to the Gingerbread ROM . I read about this somewhere . So, more recent recoveries which were made to be compatible with ICS Roms, can cause a problem when flashing it alongside Gingerbread Roms because the /recovery partition and other partitions like /data have different sizes in GB and ICS ?

I am going to start doing the fastboot thing and also check the bootloader lock/unlock status ! 

Edited by nontha