Regulars and addicts - less put downs

Guest Honest John

Guest DJHope

All this talk of honest john rockets and petard bombs, anyone would think you guys are starting a war! Newbies vs Veterans ROUND THREE COMMENCE!

Although i am in total agreement with the newbies see it from our perspective its irratating to keep answering the same questions. I thought that a FAQ would be a good idea and i started one and never finished because frankly intrest was virtually nil.

Also often it is easier to ask a question and not bother to search, its like all these people who keep asking me for roms (through PM's) i have no idea how these people cant find them its probably about the easiest thing todo on the internet!

I sympathise with the people that DO search, realise their are many that dont. I rekon most people sign up, ask their question and wait for an answer, and dont even see the SEARCH dialouge at the top of the page.

erm erm erm...eh whats a search engine?

DJ Hope

Guest mattat

It's a shame that you aren't doing the FAQ anymore - it was actually quite good I thought. I still think that it would be a very useful thing to have especially for newbies who ask questions like - I can't decert my phone, help - because at least then we could refer to the FAQ as a good starting point that doesn't contain conflicting instructions.

That's part of the problem - sometimes you can do a search and find a thread with instructions in, only to follow them and later find out that they were corrected or no longer relevant because of an upgrade etc. A FAQ would have the advantage that it could be kept relatively up to date and so provide a fairly definitive answer to the basic questions.

Guest DJHope

I would conduct a poll but everytime i bring the topic of a FAQ up it always generates hardly any intrest and quickly moves down the page!

DJ Hope

Guest spacemonkey

I think a FAQ would be very useful, the problem is always getting someone to write it and maintain it. It's only gonna be a help if it actually contains all the relevant information people need, and up to date. I'd happily contribute to a FAQ if someone else put together the structure for it. (ie, it would presumably be hosted as part of MoDaCo etc, and have some sort of framework for FAQ modifiers to enter/change information through.)

...The reason I enquired about your name Honest John is that my father used to be on the launch crew of the Royal Artillery's Honest John rockets back in the sixties.

He told me a funny story of when the Yanks came over to show the Brits "how they should be operated". But when the Yanks fired their rocket they forgot to remove the clamps that held the rocket to the launch cradle, and this 25ft-odd rocket took off still attached, cart-wheeling down the firing range! Dad said it was the biggest catherine wheel he'd ever seen, and once the rocket had ran out of fuel, all that was left was a giant ball of metal. :)

Guest CamperBoy

Just an observation,

I assume there are many people like myself that have the label "newbie" but have been here for many months having obtained the SPV shortly after the release of the phone. We've simply stayed quiet on the forums, because all the questions we need answers to, have been covered by other users. Having said that, I have found it quite difficult to find specific posts using the search facility in the past, it just takes a bit of practise.

It is probably fair to say that "addicts" etc. do rant on a bit when they get a bee in their bonnet, but then some people have lives! (just winding you up guys! :twisted: )

Guest DJHope

Everything comes second fiddle to my social life, but i do love gadgets:

My priorities!

1) Social life

2) Music

3) Women

4) SPV

5) sleep

6) food

7) work

8] News/Poiltics/'Caring' about the world :)

9) Car

10) Money