Sending back the SPV

Guest jonjensen

Guest jonjensen

The SPV seems to have had a fairly mixed reception from users with problems (poor battery life, software digital signatures, crashing etc) outweighing the benefits. Whilst I'm still within the 14 return window, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who reckons it is worth keeping & why!

I'm reasonably pleased with the SPV in that I can sync Outlook with the SPV to get my 500+ contacts & calendar entries in a familiar format, the screen is good, the size is good, good selction of accessories included in the box, reasonable price for the hardware.

Jonathan

Guest spacemonkey

Hey, it would be quite cool if a feature was added to the forum where you could search... Then rather than reposting the same and similar questions again and again ("What's your rating of the SPV","Is this phone any good", "Should I cancel my order") we could just search to see if our questions had already been answered.

No, cancel that request, there's already a Search...

My love affair with spv has finally ended. After 2 replacements all with different faults, Orange CS without hesitation gave me a refund and accepted me returning the phone -- they lady i spoke to told me she had 50 returned this morning!

When version2 comes out, I may buy another. But for now will buy a new ipaq 3970 with bluetooth to use with my (old 6310i).

Bye all

Richard

I had some problems initially with setting up the GPRS and hassle with ActiveSync but after that it's been fine.

The real beauty is synchronising with Exchange via MS MIS Server - nowadays I never go near my laptop with the SPV.

It easily saved me an hour yesterday setting up meetings and conf calls with customers. No need to carry a PC around, everythings there right in my hand .. diary, contacts, email ... even used the calculator yesterday for the first time in a meeting :D

Agreed it has some annoying issues - but these aren't insummountable and will no doubt be fixed in the New Year .. I hope :(

I'm taking mine back this evening. I was going to at lunch-time, but it got a stay of execution because from reading the forums, I thought Orange may just deliver. However having seen their response (posted in the Offical Response topic), I don't believe that they will address the issues in a way that I would like to see them addressed. i.e. pay for third party apps that should be part of the phone to start with, insist on the app signing and making us wait until the 'new year' for a site to support developers (the implication is that we may even need to buy separate kit to develop for the SPV! I may just be being paranoid there). The simple fact that they did not respond to Paul as they said they would by lunchtime today suggests to me that they do not take us seriously!

l may consider an SP2K2 phone in the future, though I'd rather it was not an SPV. It's not the hardware (HTC) or software (SP2K2) itself, I'm sure that any bugs with these will be sorted, it's the fact that Orange seem to be planning on keeping a vice-like grip on the phone! It's a shame, maybe I am being paranoid, if I am I may come crawling back to SPV in a couple of months!! :oops: Otherwise, I'll just remain annoyed at Orange for strangling what should have been a great device!!! :x :D

Ah well, despite my rant, I do hope it does go alright with the phone!

My opinion is that a lot of people bought the SPV with no intention of keeping it beyond the 14 day money back period.

This has now created a problem in that the people that really want an SPV as an upgrade are unable to get one as they are now all sold out.

I am still waiting for my SPV direct from Orange, and I don't care if it has a few bugs. I just want the SPV now.

I am sure all the bugs will be fixed in forthcoming firmware upgrades.

The trouble is that people on this forum are unrealistic in their demands, that bugs be fixed, two weeks after the product is released.

Just remember how long it took for bug fixes to appear for Windows XP.

I think we we are looking at similar timescales.

Guest bobfleming25

I disagree with Xanadu. I think many people wanted the SPV to say that they had a Smartphone (I was one of them) for me, I had every intention of keeping the phone. The concept is superb, the Bugs didn't bother me that much. What was the decider for me was the fact that the SPV failed on multiple occasions to remain on the network. My calls were going to vmail because the phone had no signal. Both units I had (First didn't even have enough strength to get the GPRS enabling SIM update) In this scenario, the "Phone" was unfit for purpose. If others are having the same issues as I, then I see every reason to take the thing back.

I'm now back on my T68 and able to work normally - Albeit without the wonderful ability to catch up with email on the train.

I must admit I've gone through a few different moods with the SPV... initially I was impressed - until I discovered how poor battery life was, etc...

What has ultimately made me really happy with the platform was/is the access I've had (through diligence) to boards like MoDaCo, etc. to find the tips/tricks that have made the phone operate in a more effective way.

I've had a discussion with two colleagues that bought a SPV after seeing mine. They got their toys and after a day of use, they both said they wanted to return the SPV because of several annoyances. I sat down, tweaked their configurations with small but meaningful adjustments such as turning on the 'screen-saver' and turning off the keypad sounds... and now they've both reconsidered their positions.

Everyone that currently has a Smartphone got it because they are 'bleeding-edge' early adopters - and as such, we should all be prepared to have some small glitches in the product. For years, I've been telling people in the hardware/software world never to expect stability in a release that ends in '.0' since it means it hasn't survived the rigors of everyday use.

In the end, I think the configuration is too blame for several of the problems. The SPV handsets should have come with a config that would maximize battery time and speed navigation through the interface... I don't know if MS should have changed default settings, or if Orange should have built a better code package for delivery... what I can say is that the platform will get better - in the last week I've already seen it move forward a lot.

'That's my 2 cents - don't spend it all in one spot!'

Guest ashes01

HI all,

What really gets my goat is people expecting the earth on a first gen handset.

The question Id like to ask is "what exactly was you expecting" realistically the fone was always going to have its ahre of problems. Personally i think the handset is incredible. I can and have done so today, listened to a new album of music played a couple of cool games that doesnt have a sodding snake in it(or some crappy space shooter), collected emails and chatted to my mate in the US and sent him a few piccys whilst we've been chatting.Just to top it all off he sent a link via IM and i streamed the radio station to the phone.

So the battery life gives you one day. Anyone tried a samsung handset lately in my job i can finish the battery before lunch and thats just voice.

It annoys me that these ppl who buy these handsets on day one for kudos factor then return them cos "it aint nokia" syndrome kicks in is quite selfish for all those folk who are still waiting for the pleasure of owning this handset. (i guess this will always be the case with any new toy).

My ipaq's going, (battery life on ipaq!!!!! blow me!) i dont have to carry a big ass pda around and a mobile and worry that my 400 quid ipaq is gonna get half hinched by some sod in the street.

No its not perfect, yes you should return the handset if you dont like, yes you should stop sending posts on this site saying "im returning because..." because me, like many others really dont care.

TBH there aint that much coming out on the horizon mobile wise that'll touch this...

Dont mention the 3650 i want something that fits into my pocket please.

Sorry for the rant, same old story of people expecting too much from something too new.

Surprisngly when henry Ford made the first car it didnt come with a V8 engine and ABS...

*fingers in ears, eyes closed LALALALALAL" flame me im not listening.

BTW T68i has a very poor talk battery life same with gprs.

It has to be said the spv wins the award tho for worst ring tones ever on any mobile phone made. Makes motorola's sound good

end of burble

My opinion is that a lot of people bought the SPV with no intention of keeping it beyond the 14 day money back period.
No its not perfect, yes you should return the handset if you dont like, yes you should stop sending posts on this site saying "im returning because..." because me, like many others really dont care.  

Ashes and Xanadu, whoa!!! I've just quoted a couple of the parts that particularly got me!

Firstly Xanadu... what on earth would be the point of getting a phone with the intention of having it for only 14 days?? Ordering it, paying for it, then returning it is far too much hassle if that is your intention IMHO. I genuinely wanted the phone, but was disappointed with it - It wasnt right for me at this stage (doesn't mean it never will be and I may get one again further down the line) - that is not a right answer or a wrong answer its just an opinion for discussion (these boards are about discussion - right??).

And Ashes, there may actually be people who are interested in hearing both sides of the story, for some the phone is great now (and that is good) which shows people what the advantages of the SPV are (and there are many); for other people the phone is not great. I'd imagine that this forum is intended not just for people who own the phone, but for people who are considering purchasing the phone too - that is why it is valuable to have both sides of the story so that a potential future user can make an informed purchasing decision (see the praise and the criticism and say 'yes, this is for me', or 'no, its not for me').

As I've mentioned before I may repurchase later on if the phone better suits my needs. The best way for me to find this out is to look at and participate in forums like this where, if its allowed :wink: , users and potential users can communicate!

FWIW, I felt not that the phone was bad, but that it was incomplete - the bugs themselves don't bother me, its more (as Fulkrum has also said) that certain functionality that really should be there in the core OS is not there (and I felt that this was jointly MS and Orange's fault). The fact that Orange will require signing still (if it costs a lot) will mean that freeware that could put this 'core' functionality in may never be developed which would be a great shame.

I hope that I have not offended either of you in return though Xanadu and Ashes, please accept my apologies if I have.

Grrrr. Grrrr! And that's not a ringtone!

The question Id like to ask is "what exactly was you expecting" realistically the fone was always going to have its ahre of problems.
Realistically yes, it would have problems - it's a cutting edge piece of modern technology. That doesn't excuse it.

Personally i think the handset is incredible. I can and have done so today, listened to a new album of music played a couple of cool games that doesnt have a sodding snake in it(or some crappy space shooter), collected emails and chatted to my mate in the US and sent him a few piccys whilst we've been chatting.Just to top it all off he sent a link via IM and i streamed the radio station to the phone.

Hmmm - yes. I listened to a new album too - I used a rather nice, compact, Sony Minidisc machine. (Unfortunately I don't get to be irritated when the batteries run out after one listen.)

I've also played a couple of games - it's quite nice is my Gameboy Advance. (Sadly the keypad is a bit too easy to use, but that's the drawback of being designed as a game controller. Oh - sadly, the batteries are still going.)

I've taken some photos too - I've got this thing called a digital camera - and guess what? Sadly it's pretty good at what it does. (And blow me, the batteries refuse to die.)

And then I realised I wanted to listen to a radio station [my radio station :D] and, once again, was confounded by the fact that the music seems to "stream" over the "FM airwaves" in good stereo quality. (Once again, the batteries just won't die. But that's 'cos it's on the minidisc machine again.)

Now yes, I'm taking the piss, and the point of the SPV is that it'll do all of these things. It just doesn't do them very well. (Yet, I grant you.) But just as I'd never be able to easily carry around a minidisc, a gameboy and a camera, neither would I really want to. And I think, actually, that's the point. I don't have time to do all these things... as well as send emails, access Messenger... oh, and make phone calls.

So the battery life gives you one day.
Possibly the most serious failing. A phone without power can never be smart.

It annoys me that these ppl who buy these handsets on day one for kudos factor then return them cos "it aint nokia" syndrome kicks in is quite selfish for all those folk who are still waiting for the pleasure of owning this handset.

I really want to be rude here but won't. I bought it pretty much on day one having seen Orange's advertising. I really really wanted it do do what it says, and yes, it gets close - but not close enough. So forgive me for using my rights to return the bag of **** - which is what I have done.

As for "it ain't Nokia" - well it's not, is it? My issues have been ones of telephony and design - and on both those counts, it doesn't even come second.

And selfish? Is selfish wanting a desirable bit of kit? No, that's being a geek. Is selfish returning it when it's naff? No, that's common sense. And is selfish spending several hours writing constructive comments on this board, for others to maybe learn from? You decide.

But - and you've made an asteroid-sized retard-comment there - do the opinions of those who don't like it not count? Is this board the "Pro-SPV users group"? No, it seems to be an honest forum of users' opinions. And my opinion is this: it's gone back.

*fingers in ears, eyes closed LALALALALAL" flame me im not listening.

But I suspect you are, asteroid boy.

Guest Fulkrum

dude

You seriously miss the point. This board is for techies trying to resolve issues through techniques called workarounds. It is also for non techies to pick up the basics, get advice and learn tips and tricks.

Your e-mail must have taken considerable time to put together. It was very well written.

Your points are all taken on board. All 8 negative points we cant do anything with.

Maybe you would be better suited to

http://www.sourgrapes.com/splash.html

a little humour might loosen the starch :D

You seriously miss the point. This board is for techies trying to resolve issues through techniques called workarounds. It is also for non techies to pick up the basics, get advice and learn tips and tricks.
Good Lord. I don't think I miss the point. I am more than familiar with workarounds. But that is not how to sell a product to a mass market, is it?

Your e-mail must have taken considerable time to put together. It was very well written.  

Your points are all taken on board. All 8 negative points we cant do anything with.

Thanks for the nice comment. I don't really expect all the points to be addressed - I'm not unrealistic - but as I have said in earlier posts, these really are issues that should have been designed out a long, long time ago. Preferably in a galaxy far, far away. Er, Vodafone?

Maybe you would be better suited to  http://www.sourgrapes.com/splash.html
:( Funny! Anyway, the grapes I prefer are more dry than sour.

a little humour might loosen the starch :D

Humour taken but I don't think I've been that tightly-collared. I've been honest - and most certainly not alone in my opinions. I'll say it again: I think this phone has great potential and I still want one... want one... want one... er... that works as God (Bill) intended.

M

A batlle of sarcasim this is beautiful, now markin you dont have an SPV and uve made your comments clear this is an SPV forumn since you dont have one and have no intention buying another, please leave us be! :D

A batlle of sarcasim this is beautiful, now markin you dont have an SPV and uve made your comments clear this is an SPV forumn since you dont have one and have no intention buying another, please leave us be! :D

I guess :( you're not serious? I had, and tried to bits, an SPV for a week. In fact to be pedantic it's still sat here, waiting for an Orange jiffy bag. But it's useless since there is no SIM in it and anyway I expect it's been disabled.

To be even more pedantic, I don't think owning an SPV is a requirement of either reading or posting to this forum. It helps, I agree, but this particular dog is just for Christmas.

As for having no intention of buying another, where did that come from? Read all my posts. I want one. It just has to be nearly as good as what I already own. If it gets closer, I'll get one. Until then, I'll keep reading.

Guest Treadsoftly

I have some good news about a forthcoming update's contents, but I need permission to spill the beans.

Will probably be in a position to post tomorrow.