GPRS Dialling Sticking Poll

Guest Pagemakers

Best place for signal and 100% connection to GPRS all the time is out at sea, when I was sailing last got GPRS connected everytime no faults as soon as I come back on land it's back to normal and a million times worse when I'm actually home or at work.

I'll just nip over to the coast everytime I wanna use GPRS (don't worry your pretty little heads about it Orange).

Guest Carbonara
In London, I wonder if it's a bandwidth issue. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to get far better performance at the weekend - today, for example, I was able to connect first time virtually every time (and yes, I was in exactly the same places that I normally am on a weekday). Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I have found it almost impossible to connect all day everyday this week but in the evening it seems to be fine. Still unacceptable though, there must be far less people using GPRS than making a call yet you never get any problems making a call do you?

Guest beersoft

Ive worked it out !!

its taken lots of beer but i have it ;)

GPRS never connects first time when

a) your not showing off real internet on your phoneto some "what is not a nokia" muppett

:lol: waiting for an important email.

c) having a sly surf of the net whilst in meeting/talking to SO/looking busy at work/having dump at work

d) bored in the pub

e) not wearing the correct coloured underpants for the day of the week (mr Orange if you know of the colour chart for good pant/day sync please post it here :D )

and today all 5 have happend to me, bloody roll a 6 for internet $&@# radio stack.

lots of love and kisses

a slighty drunk Owen

"Me and the caller ID window have a very positive working relationship. "

Guest beersoft

i have a hangover (dont laugh) and i connect 3/7 times, its very pants today

owen

avoiding mk's new football team by doing hangover time at work

Posted from my SmartPhone!

It is anitcipated that the future mobile industry will rely heavily on data services and with all the mobile operators now planning to release smartphones (of some sort) with Internet & E-mail, etc. then there will probably be a point where customers begin to select their network provider based on the quality of their data connections rather than their voice connections.

What can be said for sure is that the mobile phone industry will go through many changes and there should be some very interesting times ahead in the continuing fight to be top network operator.

I expect that many of the issues we see nowadays will be dealt with as a matter of course.

It would be insane to ignore them.

Guest morpheus2702

Well did a bit of travelling today - data use in Milton Keynes (Wimbledon or no Wimbledon) seemed fine today, but north of Rugby it was just tits up.

Maybe this has been answered, but what has Orange GPRS service on non-SPV phones been like since this all kicked off? I mean, if it is a network fault (and not SPV) wouldn't it have featured in some other media?

Guest Simon Desser
Maybe this has been answered, but what has Orange GPRS service on non-SPV phones been like since this all kicked off?  I mean, if it is a network fault (and not SPV) wouldn't it have featured in some other media?

I truly believe it's a network problem. I recently spent 10 days in Spain, and connected first time, every time, numerous times a day, using my Tanager on Movistar network. As soon as I got back to the UK and Orange, the problems started again :roll:

Also, I've recently been trying out a Sony Ericsson P810/900, and have also experienced intermittent problems connecting with this on Orange :cry:

Guest Pagemakers
She just said a 3 month unlimited wap/gprs period was available from now

No I'm confused. Just called Orange to confirm my WAP was free for 3 months. "Yes" she said. "So I don't pay any GPRS charges for 3 months" I said. "Er", she said, "only your WAP access is free, not the method of transport to get to the wap sites. You will still pay for GPRS".

I didn't realise we had to pay for wap? Do we? And another thing, i thought we couldn't access wap on the SPV, so what's the point in offering it me free.

I'm really confused now :shock:

Guest morpheus2702

We need to start running a 'best windup of Orange CS competition'...

not the method of transport to get to the wap sites

To that you should have answered 'well, my phone is configured for dial-up walking, GPRS bus and MMS train services. Can I use air miles?'

I'm going to phone them up now and say that I've tried to eject my SD card, but only toast comes out... :wink:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Guess what, i'm having sticking issues ;)

I'm in Guildford now, and occasionally will get "connecting" stuck. However i get this problem in exactly the same place each time, and moving 2-10m away resolves the problem, moving back reproduces it. I've put it down to bad signal reception (bearing in mind my wifi connection drops by 1/3 when the door closes in the same room), rather than a bug. So, i would imagine the problems are due to a weak or unstable GSM stack. With the next update having a major new GSM build in it, i would be very hopeful at it resolving the issues people have been having.

Imho anyway :D

Guest Pagemakers

Dunno about the weak signal thing Mono.

I can connect first time, every time in a poor signal area and then in a full signal area it fails to connect!

That also does not explain, when I have 2 phones here, both registered to the same address and one connects 90% of the time and the other 50%.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah, i don't see why that should happen.

BTW: I'm pretty sure the signal indicator on the title bar is for GSM only, the GPRS signal is nothing to do with that meter. So just because the title bar has 4 bars doesnt nesc. guarantee a strong GPRS signal...

Guest beersoft

I think the signal bar just means that the phone can see the cell it thinks it want's to talk to.

I tink the amount of bars you have durning the day just indicates how random my posts will be. all day with 1 bar or less - on topic and spelt ok, 2 -3 bars - near the topic, in a drunken haze, full bars - posting with the magic of cat typing, with a high beer to waffle ratio ;)

i have had calls work all the time as long as it says orange on the carrier thingy. gprs works best for me if i have red pants on or my blue with red dots tie on, the nasty pasley tie makes everything stop working, but that could just be pasley related :D

later

Owen

'posting sober for a limited time only'

Guest morpheus2702

Posted from my SmartPhone! Beersoft's replies are subject to the Stella fair use policy, which is defined as ten pints when GPRS is up & running, or 4 hours when it is buggered. Your house is at risk if you can't keep up talking scroat.

Guest beersoft

my gprs sucked big time today, i couldn't connect between 1 and 3:30 and when i phone to moan, as i like to do, they didn't answer before i had to start looking busy again.

im going to cry

later

Owen

"work and gprs suck now"

It's getting worse ...

I work in London SE1 (Blackfriars/ Waterloo). Pretty much since I got my SPV last December I've had it set to check for email on an hourly basis during the day (normally 10:00 to 18:00). Up to this month, I'd say on average that I only suffered 1 or 2 dialling sticking failures per 10 connections.

However, in the last three weeks* not only has the "dialling .." sticking become an increasing annoyance (now up to 6-8 in 10 failures), but in the last week it's got even worse. It doesn’t now even get as far as the “dialling ...” sticking problem - I now simply get a "Cannot place call .. " message every hour !!! (But no problems with "normal" phone calls).

But, as others have noted, after 18:00 in exactly the same location it seems to miraculously clear up – does this point to a GPRS/ network limit etc during peak hours if such things can happen ?

* Interestingly (& by strange coincidence ?!?), this has only started happening since this thread began, - perhaps O are just sitting in a beer garden (to keep with the other theme here) having a go at us all - conspiracy theories anyone ;) :shock: :D !

sipper

Guest morpheus2702

All joking, promises of new updates and wisdom of Mr Orange aside, isn't it about time some affirmative action was taken?

I thought MoDaCo was supposed to hold some sway with the movers and shakers at Orange?

What do we get? A lot of excuses as to why Orange isn't doing the job we damn well pay them to do, but hey - 'let's all be happy!'

Can we get a petition together, a threat of mass GPRS cancellation, something - anything to get a decent and official response as to what is going on, what is being done and when we can expect a proper GPRS service?

Well, I'm still getting a connection first time, every time. I don't believe it, let alone expect all you lot to.

I must admit, I was scared to turn the phone off in case it went back to normal, but no, it's still going strong.

So, does a registry reset clear some duff entry which is buggering up GPRS?? Who knows - more experimentation needed.... I know I'm not touching any of my connection settings any more!!

8)

I'm pretty sure the signal indicator on the title bar is for GSM only, the GPRS signal is nothing to do with that meter.  So just because the title bar has 4 bars doesnt nesc. guarantee a strong GPRS signal...

Yeah, I heard that before from a couple fo places, but if I actually manage to get connected, sometimes the gprs will disconnect & return to the homescreen, where I have no signal bars & 'searching...' in the carrier display. Then when the signal bars come back up I can connect.

Go figure! :shock:

& I think Owen's theory of pants is the closest we'll ever get to the truth!! ;)

Guest beersoft

my lucky pants must be worn out, my gprs worked at lunch time, but not when i got home, but worked after i moan at orange.

it sucks, as it works from my desk in my office@home but not in the smoking room(garden)

and after extensive testing its connected 3/7 times in the past 30 mins.

and i have managed to get it to stick on dialing for over 2 mins as well.

on a good note, its my birthday on friday, im thinking a unoffical get owen beer session/modaco meet in the spoons near the mexican place whatever its called in MK from 8ish, i thing its bring a better 'you and your bloody phone, leave it alone, stop playing with it, it will fall off, watch

the bloody film' half thing ;), as im not allowed out with out her any more.

i'll set a thead in OT for this :D

later

Owen

"Insert beer for new game"