Moto confirm MPx220 on Vodafone & Virgin Mobile

Guest stevem999

Guest stevem999

Sent an e-mail to Moto (copy below) asking about any UK release via official networks etc and got this in response...

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Motorola.

In response to your query, the MPX220 is in shipping to Virgin Mobile and Vodafone stores and should be released for sale within the next few weeks.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to

contact us again, quoting your Question Reference number.

Motorola Cellular Response Centre (UK)

Customer (Steve *****) - 04/19/2005 12:50 PM

Can you tell me when the MPX220 will be released by UK networks? I have received promotional e-mails from you about the phone but with no release dates. I know there are a handful of independent dealers offering the phone but they have no official UK network support. I have also tried your own website which redirects me to Dextra but they have no information available on their website.

I have also seen a press release from Motorola detailing the bundling of ALK Co-pilot Sat Nav equipment with the MPX220 - can you advise any further on this as well?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Steve *****

I can't quite believe it, both the fact that it's going out to networks, that O2 who have had it in their catalogue for months aren't getting it (for now at least), and that Virgin are dipping their toe in the water with Windows smartphones!

I can't wait - I'm on Voda already and would be nice to have one of these without having to port out! Yippee!

;)

Guest hotphil

Ah, does it finally sneek out from the shadows? The only reason I'd buy this (now VERY outdated due to delays) device now is the bundled sat nav. Pity they couldn't answer that for you.

Guest stevem999
Ah, does it finally sneek out from the shadows? The only reason I'd buy this (now VERY outdated due to delays) device now is the bundled sat nav. Pity they couldn't answer that for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can't be that outdated really, there doesn't seem to be much (anything?) that it can't do that a C500 or C550 could do for example - they're using the same OS.

As for the sat nav, I've replied about this bit and am waiting for an update - if this comes bundled it would definitely sway me towards the network that offered it.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Very interesting indeed... my missus does like her MPx220 (bar a strange T9 implementation), and it is holding up very well to the rigours of handbag throwing-in and baby banging and dropping ;)

Do Virgin Mobile do a decent GPRS tariff?

P

Guest Tunney

Does that mean that Motorola will be manufacturing the MPx220 itself instead of dropping it all together? I thought that they just dumped the Asian company manufacturing the MPx220?

Guest hotphil

As this phone has been floating around for so long I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't warehouses full of the things and they don't need to manufacture any more. Perhaps that's now why it's seeing the light of day? Motorola salesmen doing "bulk buy" deals to Voda and Virgin? Just speculation. Better to ship them out at a silly price than have them gathering dust.

Edited by hotphil

Guest stevem999

I think it's fairly safe to say that other Moto manufacturing facilities will be doing the MPX220 - all the indications are that Chi Mei have just been terminated as the current supplier, I'm sure Moto wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by sacking Chi Mei and not having somewhere else already lined up.

Do Virgin Mobile do a decent GPRS tariff?

I've just had a quick scan over the Virgin website and I can't see any mention of data at all other than good old WAP - could be a wee problem with a smartphone!

By the way, Hotphil, still wondering what the MPX220 can't do that makes it outdated?!! 8)

Edited by stevem999

Guest sporkguy

I'm surprised Orange havn't taken it on board considering we had the 200 and have had almost every recent Moto phone. We do have the c500 tho, I guess it'd be shooting ourselves in the foot getting the moto one too ;)

Guest mavisdavis
Man, there's a Nokia in your sig... I should ban you for that :D

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

K700i is Sony Erricsson Paul..

Its best have your enemies as your best friend sometimes and know all thier names ;)

Guest hotphil
By the way, Hotphil, still wondering what the MPX220 can't do that makes it outdated?

I'd be intrigued to see some benchmark comparisons between a 220 and a 550. It may not be outdated in terms of features, but how it does them, it's styling and it's components have to be outdated. For one thing, battery technology, and efficiency of components using the power, marches on at a fast pace - I doubt a 2 year old design is still going to be cutting edge.

Just an opinion and I could be proved wrong of course.

I'd still get one if it gets launched before the 550 and does indeed come with a bundled GPS.

Guest stevem999
I'd be intrigued to see some benchmark comparisons between a 220 and a 550. It may not be outdated in terms of features, but how it does them, it's styling and it's components have to be outdated. For one thing, battery technology, and efficiency of components using the power, marches on at a fast pace - I doubt a 2 year old design is still going to be cutting edge.

Just an opinion and I could be proved wrong of course.

I'd still get one if it gets launched before the 550 and does indeed come with a bundled GPS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough - I suppose battery technology is moving so fast that it could be a bit of a problem. Anyway, had another e-mail from Motorola about the Sat Nav gear and they say it's still being tested with Moto devices and it will be announced in due course. Perhaps they were a little premature in announcing their tie-up with ALK Co-Pilot! But this means it looks like the Vodafone & Virgin phones won't be bundled unless they're going to sit on them until it's fully tested.

Guest Goattee

One warning to my friends across the big pond: this is a phone that only it's mother could love. It is not especially beautiful and it has several warts.

But if you can appreciate its more glamorous aspects, you may not mind having to wake it periodically from its occasional narcoleptic fits.

If you don't mind rebooting the phone a few times a day as if you were still using Windows 3.1, you can live the joy of picking up POP email messages in fits and starts.

If you want to become a master of Bluetooth you too can be synching all your contacts and appointments from the couch.

Might be your best friend until a better one comes along. Or the Bad Seed. You'll have to decide. My suspicion is that Motorola's next Smartphone will probably be a lot better. Just like Windows XP is more stable than Windows 95.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Interesting news, especially as Virgin aren't going to be arround much longer (relaunching as "Lobster" later this year with a front line of jap and other far eastern handsets, apparently....)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stevem999

Well, time for a quick update on this ongoing saga - you may recall this thread was started after Motorola confirmed to me that both Vodafone and Virgin were soon to release the MPX220. Well it's been few weeks so I thought I'd check with those networks:

Firstly, Virgin have just e-mailed me as follows:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email to Virgin Mobile regarding the Motorola MPX220.

Unfortunately, there are no plans to introduce this phone to our current range. However, this doesn't mean that we're not going to. Please can you keep an eye on our website for further updates on this;

http://www.virginmobile.com/mobile/phones/

Kind regards,

Paul Baldock

Virgin Mobile

So safe to say that Motorola have been massively scammed and they think they're sending a load of phones to Virgin when in fact they're going to a Del Boy somewhere to flog. Perhaps not ;) but it just shows that Motorola haven't got a clue.

Still waiting for a response from Voda, but there have been other news stories where the phone is mentioned in their business section for use with their new push-email service so we can only hope.

Guest stevem999
I'd say CPW will be selling them on Virgin Mobile contracts, along with the current exclusive offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Current exclusive offer?

Guest mutleyboy
Current exclusive offer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i believe carphone warehouse have the current exclusive rights to sell virgin mobile pay monthly contracts, everywhere else will still just be able to do virgin pay as you go

Guest Chaser81

Had a look at the MPx220 on Carphone's website. Is it just me or are they HIDEOUSLY expensive for it on contract compared to some of the deals floating around on the net??

e2save has the Mpx220 on O2 contract free on leisuretime plus 12 month contract (£20 a month) whereas carphone are only free on Vodafone on anytime 350 18 month contract (£35 a month)!!

Guest mutleyboy

CPW and the like(i.e high street stores) are always way overpriced compared to what you can find on the net

Had a look at the MPx220 on Carphone's website. Is it just me or are they HIDEOUSLY expensive for it on contract compared to some of the deals floating around on the net??

e2save has the Mpx220 on O2 contract free on leisuretime plus 12 month contract (£20 a month) whereas carphone are only free on Vodafone on anytime 350 18 month contract (£35 a month)!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest hecatae

thats the other thing, carphonewarehouse owns e2save and onestopphoneshop,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.