T-Mobile to shake up UK Mobile Data market?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

T-Mobile to shake up UK Mobile Data market?

There's quite a buzz over in this topic at Mobiholics... and it's around some rumours that have surfaced regarding T-Mobile and some forthcoming tarrif changes.

T-Mobile have been somewhat blazing-the-trail for Windows Mobile users of late, with their adoption of just about every HTC device under the sun (the Tornado being the unfortunate and notable omission), coupled with their impressive 'web-n-walk' and innovative 'FlexT' tariffs.

Orange's plan to introduce a new (and somewhat underwhelming) new tariff structure on the 1st April has been widely reported on sites such as The Register, and it seems T-Mobile are set to do the same, also on the 1st April.

With T-Mobile's current drive to recruit new customers, it looks like THEY aren't going to be April Fools, and a reworking of Web-n-Walk and FlexT is on the cards, to integrate the tariffs.

All good I hear you say, but how does this shake up the UK Mobile Data market?

Well, if our sources are to be believed, T-Mobile will announce - with some fanfare - a £7.50 per month flat rate data usage plan! Likely subject to a fairly relaxed 'acceptable usage plan' (1GB seems likely), the deal looks set to have Smart device users on other networks migrating in droves.

Further information is slowly trickling in... but in the interim, feel free to discuss in this topic... will YOU be jumping ship from your current provider should this deal arrive?

P

logo-mobiholics.gif

Guest bitbank

I find it odd that T-Mob Europe and USA plans are so different. I'm currently paying $5 per month for their T-Zones plan and it gives me unlimited email and web surfing on the EDGE network (typically 100-200Kbps).

We're (USA) usually the ones way behind when it comes to getting new devices, so I'm surprised that Europe has such an expensive rate structure.

L.B.

Guest James

woo woo! flat rate GPPS at last... we have wanted this ever since the original SPV back in 2002/2003...

bad news is, i only just got a contract with T-Mobile... hope i can upgrade my tarrif!?!

Guest Paul [MVP]
woo woo! flat rate GPPS at last... we have wanted this ever since the original SPV back in 2002/2003...

bad news is, i only just got a contract with T-Mobile... hope i can upgrade my tarrif!?!

Since I got one at the same time as you James, I really hope so ;)

P

GOnna be interesting how Orange retentions react

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't hold your breath - so far as I can tell, there's very little retaining that goes on with retentions these days.

Guest Pondrew

Here's hoping T-Mobile do let people add such a data deal as an add-on unlike Web N Walk where they won't let you transfer on unless you at the end of your contract or take out a new one...

As for whether Orange will react, they didn't react to Web N Walk and they've just announced a new tariff scheme reducing what they offer to low spend customers... can't see them offering anything near as good as this! :?:

Now I just hope a killer device is out in time for the upgrade on my original contract in September! ;)

I find it odd that T-Mob Europe and USA plans are so different.  I'm currently paying $5 per month for their T-Zones plan and it gives me unlimited email and web surfing on the EDGE network (typically 100-200Kbps).

We're (USA) usually the ones way behind when it comes to getting new devices, so I'm surprised that Europe has such an expensive rate structure.

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure T-zones is on EDGE? I'd thought that just allowed you to connect to their wi-fi access points. The only data plans I've seen with T-mobile USA (I'm currently looking to take out a plan) are $29.99/mo for GPRS.

Meanwhile, not only is it way behind in the US in terms of devices, but the prices are insane - $349 on a new contract for a Vario or $249 for an SDA!

Guest ndryer
Since I got one at the same time as you James, I really hope so ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, i Jumped on the Web'n'walk tarrif last year to get the MDA Pro.

Guest spiderboy

Well my contracts all end in April with Orange so there really couldn't be a better time for this offer. I am so fed up with orange CS it's beyond a joke now. ](*,)

All you t-mobile subscribers, can you vouch for the service and reception of t-mobile? Also which phone do you suggest, I am thinking of the MDA Vario? Any comments?

Thanks

Guest ccsnet

I'm still not sure where I will stand, I'm on W'N'W so will they just increase my allowence as they are bringing equivellent W'N'W tarrifs out to make allowence for this ?

Terran

PS - Paul - When Mobilholics coming back up ?

Guest sporkguy

ccsnet: the hosting company has disabled the mobiholics account due to the website using 'high load' which is a load of toff basically.

it should be back up sometime around 1AM GMT *fingers crossed*

Guest ccsnet
ccsnet: the hosting company has disabled the mobiholics account due to the website using 'high load' which is a load of toff basically.

it should be back up sometime around 1AM GMT *fingers crossed*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Struth - whats a high load lol.... unless you hosting Microsofts files for them lol.

Terran

Guest redvers
I'm still not sure where I will stand, I'm on W'N'W so will they just increase my allowence as they are bringing equivellent W'N'W tarrifs out to make allowence for this ?

I doubt they will change anything for any existing customers! Which means that you will need to look at what plan you're currently on, and then move to a higher value plan from the new Web 'n' Walk range. Apparently there are going to be 12 and 18 month versions of the new Web 'n' Walk plans, so anyone would be able to move plans as long as they move to one that costs more on a monthly basis!

Guest inspectorgadjet

I was just looking on the T-mobile Self Service website, and under my additional allowances and services for one of my phones that isn't on web'n'walk I had the option to add a web'n'walk option for £6.38 ex vat per month. That's £7.50 including vat. I then phoned customer services, and asked them what the option was. They first tried to tell me that it was a price plan, and I then insisted that it wasn't and that she needed to look in the bundles and additional services, and she eventually saw that it was an option I could add, but didn't know anything about it.

I'm thinking that maybe this is the new unlimited service. I've added it to my price plan and removed my 6MB bundle from my next bill date. It will be interesting to find out what happens.

Guest Pondrew

Orange have been unable (unwilling?) to match Web N Walk for data value and that was just 40meg data...

I'd say the chances of them matching this is about the same as the chances of a pig flying past the window of my office here. Still, there have been accounts of animals falling from the sky in the past so... ;)

Guest carphead

I see the Web N Walk option on my Relax 200 minutes (1/2 Line Rental for 18 Months from CPW!!!) too.

I'm going to add it and see what happens. Hopefully it'll be unlimited but would be good if it's 40MB. I can turn on Push Email again ;)

Guest Phil Lee

I have a Web n Walk 100 contract and can also add the £6.38 + VAT Web n Walk individual service to my account. Since I've never used my 40Mb allowance I'll leave it off for the moment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.