Wm5 fix for Opera 8.0 smartphone

Guest killerost

Guest killerost

Opera 8.0 won't run properly on a Wm5 device so I made a little fix to solve this problem. This fix will take care of the wrong Opera data file locations and relocate it to the memory card. I've also Included the Opera startup page from Opera 8.60 PPC edition so that it will fit our devices better.

Here's how you "install" it:

1. Download and install Opera 8.0 for smartphone but DON'T run Opera yet.

2. Take the zip archive and extract it to the root folder of your device.

3. When you're prompeted to replace the file opera.ini in the \application data\opera folder, make sure you answer YES.

4. If you want to delte some files from the phones memory, you can go to the \application data\opera directory and in this directory you can delete ALL the files EXCEPT FOR english.lng, opera.ini and opera6.adr AND smartphone_keyboard.ini. If you delete one or all of these FOUR files, Opera will NOT start properly!

5. Now you can start Opera.

The sum up what this fix does:

- replaces the ini file with one that works for wm5

- moves the opera data directory to the storage card

- replaces the old non-qvga startup page with the qvga startup page from opera 8.60 ppc

Enjoy..

opera80_wm5_fix_v2.zip

Edited by killerost

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasnewt

Hi,

I have tried this fix out, but have a problem.

Opera starts up without a problem with the new home screen (much better than the old version!). However when clicking on a link I get 'Network problem' and the address I tried to access is shown. I have tried several sites. All result in the error message.

Basically I have to start a GPRS connection using another program, then I am able to use Opera without a problem. The problem is caused when I click on a link without a GPRS connection already running.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I am running the imate SP5 ROM on a C600, if that makes any difference!

Jason.

Hi,

I have troubles running the "patched" Opera on my QTEK 8310.

I followed the steps (without deleting unnecessary files from original directory)

When I start opera, I'm asked whether to register now. If I answer no,

the opera terminates. When yes ... I have not the right key and after

a complaining message the opera terminates.

I have AKU2 firmware installed.

Any idea?

Guest killerost
Hi,

I have troubles running the "patched" Opera on my QTEK 8310.

I followed the steps (without deleting unnecessary files from original directory)

When I start opera, I'm asked whether to register now. If I answer no,

the opera terminates. When yes ... I have not the right key and after

a complaining message the opera terminates.

I have AKU2 firmware installed.

Any idea?

The Opera browser isn't free, so after a 14 day trial your expected to pay for this product, and this is a FIX, not a crack. Normally my policy is that a program worth using, is a program worth buying. But as long as Opera doesn't even support WM5 and costs the same as the much better PocketPC version they can't expect us to buy Opera.. It would have been fair of Opera to give away the 8.0 release for free, and wait for the next version before selling it. I do believe that you're entitled to a free upgrade if you buy version 8.0, but who will buy a software that doesn't work well with your phone and HOPE for a upgrade later? :D I usually never recommend using pirated software, but.. oh.. yeah, right I never recomend it, because it's illeagal to do so on this site :D

Guest killerost
My copy of Opera is legit! Still can't get it to start a connection on it's own though. Any ideas?

Jason.

Your question is a bit more complex :D My biggest problem is that my SP's gprs network sucks at the moment and I've used wifi as my main connection. Does your GPRS connection go through a proxy when connecting with internet explorer? Has anyone else got problems connection when using only opera?

Guest killerost
Hi guys, does this work also on WM5 smartphone LANDSCAPE phones like the new Samsung SGH i320 or Moto Q ?

The good thing about Opera is that whatever screensize you've got, it will fill it. (I think! :D) But the startpage in this fix file does not support landscape mode.. :D

Guest jasnewt
Your question is a bit more complex :D My biggest problem is that my SP's gprs network sucks at the moment and I've used wifi as my main connection. Does your GPRS connection go through a proxy when connecting with internet explorer? Has anyone else got problems connection when using only opera?

I only have complex problems with my phone :D

Not sure if it goes through a proxy when connecting with Internet Explorer. I'll try and find out. It's just the standard Orange GPRS connection. I have the imate ROM but installed the Orange connection settings, and haven't had a problem with anything else so far.

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest killerost
I only have complex problems with my phone :D

Not sure if it goes through a proxy when connecting with Internet Explorer. I'll try and find out. It's just the standard Orange GPRS connection. I have the imate ROM but installed the Orange connection settings, and haven't had a problem with anything else so far.

Jason.

I've noticed that other pre wm5 tools also have some trouble establishing gprs connections on their own. Maybe M$ has changed the specs for connecting trough gprs a little between wm2003 and wm5?

Guest killerost
Can the fully registered version of Opera download? I always get a message telling me downloads are not supported.

Opera for smartphone can not download, not even the retail version

I've noticed that other pre wm5 tools also have some trouble establishing gprs connections on their own. Maybe M$ has changed the specs for connecting trough gprs a little between wm2003 and wm5?

Could be the case. I am trying to recall if I ever re-installed Opera on my C600 after the upgrade from my WM2003 phone. Not sure I did, so maybe it was never able to connect itself, rather than the issue being caused by the tweaking.

Never mind. I uninstalled it, and will wait for an updated version, assuming Opera ever get round to releasing it. They mentioned it HERE but no sign of a release yet.

Jason.

Guest killerost
Could be the case. I am trying to recall if I ever re-installed Opera on my C600 after the upgrade from my WM2003 phone. Not sure I did, so maybe it was never able to connect itself, rather than the issue being caused by the tweaking.

Never mind. I uninstalled it, and will wait for an updated version, assuming Opera ever get round to releasing it. They mentioned it HERE but no sign of a release yet.

Jason.

My fix has just corrected the config files and updateted the startpage. And even if I had the programming skills to patch Operas lack of wm5 gprs support I wouldn't "waste" my time doing it! :D

My fix has just corrected the config files and updateted the startpage. And even if I had the programming skills to patch Operas lack of wm5 gprs support I wouldn't "waste" my time doing it! :D

I loved the new startpage! Very useful to be able to edit that and have your most used links displayed without going to the bookmarks.

So you don't fancy learning the programming skills to patch Opera's lack of WM% GPRS support then? I'm sure you could do that faster than they will take to release an updated version themselves. :D