Hermes rides again!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

8525-thumb.png

While there's been alot of excitement recently regarding the launch of various HTC Hermes based devices over on this side of the pond, there hasn't been much regarding it's launch in America. There's been information floating around that HTC branded version, the TyTN, will launch on Cingular in September but now that seems to have been quashed (in part).

How so? Well, check out these quite excellent, high resolution pictures and see for yourself...[/teaser]

8525-1.png8525-3.png

8525-2.png8525-4.png8525-5.png

8525-6.png8525-7.png

That's right folks, Cingular won't be getting the TyTN (Herm200) but instead will distribute their own version, the 8525 (Herm100), which the eagle-eyed among you may have noticed sports PTT (Push To Talk)! You may also have noticed the lack of a forward facing video camera! Our sources tell us that this devices is due to launch very soon on the Cingular so if you're over in the US, keep your eyes peeled for it :D

Guest Laser_iCE

I like how the front looks less busy now due to no camera, however why would they not include it? The US has 3G right? Seems kind of silly...

Guest nickcornaglia

Decisions Decisons. I'm really debating whether or not I want a PPC again. TYTNs sure are sexy. But UMTS isnt in my area yet and I have found nothing definitive that it will be here soon. And if so, on which band?

Cingular would be the way to go for me as far as saving a few bucks on a subsidized device. But none of my friends use Cingular. They're all on Verizon. So PTT wouldn't be an incentive for me.

So maybe I just get an unsubsidized TYTN. Then I get the video call feature as well. But will I be able to make video calls with anyone if they don't have that feature as well. What's the point.

So it boils down to speed of the device. Is that a real incentive to buy this phone? Crazy me, I'm actually thinking about getting a JAMin AGAIN instead and wait for UMTS to come along full force and buy a newer phone at that time.

Phones are coming out waaaaay to fast these days. For Cingular, they're about to release a phone that is more powerful than their network can handle nationaly.

My 8500 has lost it's luster. So my question is...do I migrate to a PPC just to get my feet wet again? (JAMin, 8125, similar) or do I just stick with my current phone (QTEK 8500 Smartphone) and wait for the right timing. OR...do I just get a TYTN and wait for the network to come thru hoping that UMTS is on the right band.

Guest Exodia
uuuh... has anybody noticed that the place where the camera should be has been fotoshopped?

I sure have!!

Pigo

And a very poor photoshop job at that. :D

Guest nickcornaglia
Paul,

I see it does say "2.0 Mega Pixels" rather than "2.0Mega Pixels"

- I know this is your pet-hate with the UK variants :D

I even think the 's' at the end of Pixels sounds incorrect.

My camera has 2.0 Mega Pixels.

I have a 2.0 Mega Pixel camera.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The correct English (i guess we can make an exception for you encece ;p) is "Mega Pixels". But its perfectly acceptible to name the camera "2 Megapixel".

Guest xerxes
wait for the Universal II :D

Does anyone have any real info on the Universal 2?

I'm typing this on my beloved XDA Exec which is a great PDA but I'd love it to be a bit smaller!

Guest nedge2k

Well the only info I have is that it should be with us in Jan07, will basically have the internals of the hermes, probably won't have GPS and should be a bit smaller.

Guest megumi_hikaru

The model is release in SEAsia under Dopod branding.

here it does comes with front camera for Video calls and the rest seem the same as the picture posted. no GPS though.

However i heard there are issue with the BT esp pairing with earpiece. or the QOS of the audio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.