Twit! for Windows Mobile [Landscape Smartphone] + source

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Have you heard about Twitter?

21-Apr-2007_twit.jpg

Twitter is the rather neat SMS based system for keeping friends updated with what you're up to, and keeping updated with what your friends are up to. :) (think that makes sense!)

I've been using Twitter for a little while now, and think it's very neat... particularly with support for receiving submissions via the web, IM, or UK / US SMS!

I soon realised however that the more I used Twitter 'out and about', the more I was looking in danger of quickly running up a sizable SMS bill... so... I present Twit! for Windows Mobile [Landscape Smartphone]. The (.net CF 2.0) application runs on Landscape Smartphones (such as the Excalibur or Blackjack), and allows you to submit your status updates via GPRS. Neato...

That's not all though... the application is a really quick and simple hack job, so I thought i'd post the fully commented source code (VB.net) here for all you budding developers to take a look at - hence it is attached below! This also gives the opportunity for people with, say, portrait devices, to tweak the application as they see fit.

FINALLY... I thought it would be kinda fun if people suggested other Twitter-related things they would like to see the app do, and I could update the app and post the source changes so people can see how it's hanging together.

Good idea? You tell me! :P

P

PS I haven't forgotten about the MoDaCo programming tutorial... it'll come after 'top secret project' rolls out :D

PPS If you just want to run the app, extract the 'Twit! Compiled' zip file, drop the EXE somewhere on the device and just run it!

PPPS The app has been coded to 'keep it simple', therefore with no encryption of stored credentials, minimal error handling etc.

EDIT (by encece): The latest EXECUTABLE build (1.070420) of Twit! is located in THIS POST below

Currently it is still only for Landscape Smartphones. When I get the VIEW TIMELINES functionality in there...I'll make the portrait version.

Guest nickcornaglia

You already know I think this is cool! :D

One use for twitter is as a "mini-blog" where you post daily tidbits that aren't blog worthy.

SUGGESTIONS FOR APP:

View your timeline.

View Your timeline with friends

View Public Timeline.

View all of the above with Avatars.

Short of incorporating it into the app...maybe just links to the appropriate sections of twitter to view in PIE.

I gotta think about this osme more. :)

Nice Job!

Guest mwright
Have you heard about Twitter?

Twitter is the rather neat SMS based system for keeping friends updated with what you're up to, and keeping updated with what your friends are up to. :) (think that makes sense!)

I guess it is just me - but I really do not get it at all :D

Guest Paul (MVP)
OT:

When are we going to see Smartphones with CF2 in ROM?

Having to install it puts me off loads of CF2 apps

When we see AKU3 Smartphones... which is today (Excalibur, Blackjack...)

P

Guest nickcornaglia
I guess it is just me - but I really do not get it at all :)

I guess you could use it many different ways.

1) You could save money if you have a data plan but have limited text messages.

2) When you send a message, it is posted online, AND it is sent via text massage to friends who sign in to your feed. So you send a text message once....it sends it 1000's of times (if you have 1000's of friends).

3) As posted above, you could use the feed on your own website as a mini blog. (I personally show the last three in my website's sidebar)

4) Twitter could be thought of as a social community. A collaborative blog. Either between you and your friends....or view the public blog showing the whole world's posts, yours and your friends included....in order as they are received.

Since your entry is prefaced by your name (or pseudoname) people usually write about themselves in the third person.

example....

NICK: thinks that Twitter is cool. (Jan 3, 2006)

NICK: is eating breakfast...damn no eggs! (Jan 2, 2006)

NICK: has nothing to do so he is watching all of the LOTR movies today non-stop (Jan 1, 2006)

Twitter isn't groundbreaking...nor necessary by any means. It's just fun.

Guest The Doctor
PS I haven't forgotten about the MoDaCo programming tutorial... it'll come after 'top secret project' rolls out :)

Got to ask.... is that 'switchboard'?

Also, with regards to twit, it'd be cool if the entries fed into like a side bar on our modaco user profiles, just a thought.

Phil

Guest David Chartier

Two things:

1) Provide a CAB file for installation; a growing number of Smartphone users aren't necessarily on Windows

2) I'll echo the request others have made to be able to follow your friends' timeline inside the app as well

Rocking work! This is so cool; seeing more and more apps like this crop up for the Smartphone makes me feel better every day that I picked up a BlackJack.

Edited by David Chartier

Guest Paul (MVP)

Encece has now taken over Twit! development as his first ever development project (with me here to backup him up)... so keep an eye out for updates from him soon :)

He's got some cool ideas and the enthusiasm too :D

P

Guest nickcornaglia
Two things:

1) Provide a CAB file for installation; a growing number of Smartphone users aren't necessarily on Windows

2) I'll echo the request others have made to be able to follow your friends' timeline inside the app as well

Rocking work! This is so cool; seeing more and more apps like this crop up for the Smartphone makes me feel better every day that I picked up a BlackJack.

Hey David. Glad you like the app. Paul laid down all of the hard work. I'm just tweaking away with his help as I learn VB. (If I finish this...am I considered a developer?!) :)

Anyway...I'll update the download sometime this weekend. Everything that is existing has been modified and we're working on the ability to view timelines now.

Weeeeeeeee! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

I promise to get back on this soon. The holidays tied me up a bit.

Currently there is a cooler, more twitter-ish interface. And built-in Links to all things twitter.

Just gotta figure out how to pull public, friends and personal feeds in via the API (with Paul's help hopefully), then release a new version.

Then last on the list is compatibilty with portrait phones as well as PPCs.

Watch this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

Hi:

I have an updated version of what you see above (Much nicer looking interface) for LANDSCAPE screens only.

I have yet to figure out how to pull in XML to view Public, Personal and Friends Timelines...I am hoping Paul will help me with that when he gets some time.

Last I will try to figure out how to make ONE interface for different resolution screens (Portrait or Landscape)

I'll update the current version in the top post when I get home tonight.

Glad we have another Twitterer!

Guest nickcornaglia

Dont have a Smartphone right now, and I'm such a noob at programming, I couldnt figure out how to get the emulator to show as a landscape screen.

Anyway...here is the updated file:

- Better Looking interface

- Built in weblinks to all things Twitter

- Seperate Settings screen

- Seperate About Screen

In it you'll see menu items for Timelines....these dont work yet and are where I plan to add the timeline viewers.

BUT...you CAN click on the links to view the timelines in PIE. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

Twit.zip = Executable

TwitCode.zip = Source Code

I REALLY HOPE TO GET BACK ON THIS SOON! ANYONE WILLING TO HELP....FEEL FREE! :)

[/EDIT: REMOVED ATTACHMENTS - NEW VERSIONS WILL ALWAYS BE IN FIRST POST

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'll pick it up and make a few tweaks as soon as I get a chance (orientation support etc), plus anything anyone else wants to post here before I pick it up :)

P

Guest nickcornaglia

Still using my piece of crap SMT5600.

The END button even has a short in it...when pressed, makes the screen go all whacky.

Plus I've been unsucessful getting it to sync with Vista.

Too much financial stuff going on to pay full price on a new PPC...but I'll hopefully find a new one soon as the Vista issue is a problem.

You'll be the first to know when I get a new one! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

Bum... the version posted here no longer works due to using the API via GET rather than POST, which used to work but doesn't any longer.

Will post fixed source in a bit...

P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Justin Daniels

Any update on Twit! for the updated API? Seems to be a great app. I'm an avid programmer, but don't do much VB.Net, else, I'd take a stab at it. I might do that anyway ;)