Ov2iGo: Speed cameras for iGo 2006 SE

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

gatso.gif

So yesterday, as you do, I decided to find an easy way to convert the PockGPSWorld speed camera database for use in the latest betas of iGo 2006 SE.

This method (catchily named Ov2iGo :D ) converts their UK speed zoned TomTom Ov2 files into a single .txt file that iGo can use.

It's basically a batch file which calls on GPSBabel to convert from TomTom into the iGo format, then uses SED to edit the camera speed and type and finally combines this into the one file, which iGo then reads and creates its own database from.

Instructions for use and download after the jump...[/teaser]

How to use

- Download the Safety Camera database from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php

- Copy all the TomTom "speed zoned" Ov2 files (like "pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2") from the downloaded package into \Ov2iGo\ov2 (you should have 25 files)

- Run the Ov2iGo.bat file

- Copy the "\Ov2iGo\igo\speedcameras.txt" file to "\%SD Card%\iGO\POI\Speedcam"

- Done! :)

Please note, I have created this in a "quick 'n' dirty" way specifically for the UK speed zoned TomTom Ov2 files from PocketGPSWorld. Edit the .bat file accordingly if you want to convert other Ov2 files or other types such as Garmin etc.

>>Download it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leaskovski

I cant get this to work. :)

I get errors such as ....

TomTom cannot open 'ov2\*gatso_20.ov2' for read. Error was 'Invalid argument'.

apps\sed\sed.exe: can't read igo\gatso_20.igo: No such file or directory

apps\sed\sed.exe: can't read igo\gatso_20.igo: No such file or directory

Any ideas? Do you need any specific software for this or should it work out of the box?

EDIT!

Got it working. Changed the * to the actual names and then it worked. Cheers

Edited by Leaskovski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I managed to get the Camera database imported into iGo and they show up on the map - however, there are no audible alerts. Is there a way of setting up audible alerts of speedcams? I have tried running CamerAware alongside iGo but they really don't like eachother! ;)

Guest delftenaar
I managed to get the Camera database imported into iGo and they show up on the map - however, there are no audible alerts. Is there a way of setting up audible alerts of speedcams? I have tried running CamerAware alongside iGo but they really don't like eachother! ;)

Can you use speed camera's also in 2006? (not SE)

Can you use speed camera's also in 2006? (not SE)

Not as far as I am aware - apparently speed camera support was only added to the SE version. It is pretty basic as it only displays them on the map and you can't set up warnings like you can in TomTom so I have switched back to TomTom 6 and use CamerAware for the camera warnings (another failing with iGo - it refuses to work with CamerAware). I also found the fact that iGo doesn't tell you what you need to be doing until you're 300 yards away a bit of a pain - a bit late when it's a busy roundabout! ;)

Edited by Guest

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Alex I use MioMap and I use the MioMap v3 database (as this contains directional information) from PocketGPSWorld and all I have to do is to copy this into the MIOTC/POI folder and it works ;)

• 2 months later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Great work Nedge, but just to let you guys know PocketGPSWorld now supply the safety camera database in IGo format

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.