SafeMode 2 for Pocket PC released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you've used SafeMode on your Windows PC, you'll know how valuable it can be. If you've ever been locked out on reboot after an application install on your Pocket PC, then chances are you've longed for a similar function on your device.

post-1-1168274438_thumb.gif

Well, monocube are at hand to assist, with their recently updated 'SafeMode 2' application.

The pitch...

SafeMode 2 now features an advanced PDA crash protection system:

- it's started very early (4th application - the first 3 are required Window Mobile applications) in the startup process, allowing a better control over what and when it's allowed to run.

- while entering SafeMode, it stops all known 3rd party application types, such as:

* INIT applications - these are low level applications, such as older versions of "Mad Programmer’s ForceHiRes" or "XCPUScalar"

* Services - these are system applications; they are not visible with the task manager, and generally run in the background

* Startup applications - startup links, placed in "Windows\Startup"

* Today plugins - SafeMode 2 disables all Today plugins, replacing it with it's own interface, as a reminder you're running in SafeMode

* Input methods - all non-standard Input methods (custom keyboards etc) are disabled

* Pocket Internet Explorer plugins (such as MultiIE)

* Other extensions, found in system registry

If you're a serial installer / uninstaller like me, then the functionality is a must have, particularly at the $6.95 asking price! SafeMode 2 and SPB Pocket Plus are the only 2 applications I know that offer this kind of functionality, and SafeMode 2 definitely has more configurability (is that a word?), and is also ideal for those like me who prefer to use individual apps to gain Pocket Plus like functionality without the weight of the whole suite.

Head over to the SafeMode 2 page at monocube to find out more, or to download the free 14 day trial!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Which software build on the Wizard?

2.1 will be out shortly which fixes that problem. If you reset with the pin at that point, it should go into safe mode... it's just that the reset routine is about to be updated.

P

Guest monocube

I assume you're using an AKU 3.x ROM on your Wizard. As Paul pointed out, the reset routine doesn't work anymore (it used to work with all WM versions so far :)). I'm trying to find an alternative solution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.