Get the iPhone style for your Pocket PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

LINK AND SCREENSHOT REMOVED FOLLOWING AN EMAIL FROM APPLE'S LEGAL TEAM! - click here for more details, and see quote below.

VIA E-MAIL

NOT FOR POSTING

Paul O'Brien

Founder, Administrative and Technical Contact for MoDaCo

[snip]

Re: Unauthorized Dissemination of Apple Computer Copyrighted Material by MoDaCo

Dear Mr. O'Brien:

We represent Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") and are authorized to act on Apple's behalf to investigate and take legal action with respect to the unauthorized dissemination of Apple's copyrighted material. It has come to our attention that you have posted a screenshot of Apple's new iPhone and links that facilitate the installation of that screenshot on a PocketPC device. The post in question is located at http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=251112. While we appreciate your interest in the iPhone, the icons and screenshot displayed on your website are copyrighted by Apple, and copyright law explicitly prohibits unauthorized display and distribution of copyrighted works.

Apple therefore demands that you remove this screenshot from your website and refrain from facilitating the further dissemination of Apple's copyrighted material by removing the link to http://forum.xda-developers.com, where said icons and screenshot are being distributed.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,

[snip]

O’Melveny & Myers LLP

[snip]

DMCA Certification: I hereby state, under penalty of perjury, that I have a good faith belief that the activities described above are not authorized by Apple, that the information in this notification is accurate, and that I am authorized to act on behalf of Apple in this regard.

Lusting after the iPhone style but can't wait 6 months (at least)? Don't want to give up your PPC and shell out $600? Then maybe this is the answer!

XDA-Developers user 'hanmin' has been working some magic over in [link removed, see above], to bring you the today screen pictured, courtesy of claunch (free) and phoneAlarm (cha-ching!).

I haven't installed it myself yet (i'm about to though), but you have to admit, it looks pretty slick! :) Give it a try... and let us know how you get on!

P

I bought phone alarm and downloaded all the files I need, but I was not able to install it!

to difficult to set up everything....

any chance to get a tutorial?!?

Guest agent.m

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWKJ

- top = cLauncher, Do you mean the top 12 icons?

- bottom = phoneAlarm, Do you mean the bottom 4 icons?

By the way, how do you change the icons of cLauncher?

Highlight your application within cLaunch and then select 'edit'

Tap 'Change icon'

Tap the ... and select the location of your icons - as it states you can use .exe., .dll, .cpl and.bmp

I use a lot of 32x32 bitmaps and also the Sksmgr_icons.dll (You will need to serch for this) as well.

You can find 32x32 icons on google image search and then convert them to bitmaps

Guest bennish

Hehehe... cute. Maybe use a program to remove the softkeys at the bottom, too? vijay555 has one. Also, you could do your own top taskbar with maybe wisbar advance... i'd like to see someone do one up reaaal authentic... then put it on a mio... and fool ppl into thinking its the real thing hehe (iphone looks just like the mio to me, btw... right down to the shortcuts. Oh, sorry... widgets...).

Guest bennish
Now who's gonna be first with the fancy scrolling thing?!

Interesting... I just thought, what if there was a project to make a Windows Mobile theme and programs, that actually does everything the iphone does? (within reason of course - no accelerometer, no 2mp cam on a 1.3 device). The cool scrolling thing in photos, a nice vertical scroll for contacts, that nice album thing (which personally i think slows things down...). Does anyone think that'd be a cool project? Got 6 months (or more) for it...

Guest Shuflie

It would be nice if the next version of WM borrowed a few things from Vista/Tablet PC edition, such as, wait for it, pen flicks. I've just installed the vista beta drivers for my Wacom Graphire and discovered this feature. For everyone who has not experienced pen flicks it does this, you flick the pen upwards over an active scrolling window and it drags the contents up a page, flick it down and it drags the contents down. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'm sure it would be even more intuitive with a touchscreen.

Guest bennish

That sounds nice... kinda like thee notebook touchpad thing to scroll up and down webpages by running ur finger down the side.

By the way, if the iphone ignores accidental touches, why would it need to switch off its lcd in proximity to the face?

What a terrible shame that the iPhone doesn't run third-party applications...

If only it did, I'm pretty someone could come up with an app to alter the idiot-proof touch-a-button screen and enable iPhone owners to fool their friends into believing that they had a real smartphone!

There might even be a Voice-Command option for it to cut down on fingermarks too! :)

Guest n2700177
What a terrible shame that the iPhone doesn't run third-party applications...

If only it did, I'm pretty someone could come up with an app to alter the idiot-proof touch-a-button screen and enable iPhone owners to fool their friends into believing that they had a real smartphone!

There might even be a Voice-Command option for it to cut down on fingermarks too! :D

well my impression is that iPhone is going to be released as a multimedia phone as the major feature, not as a true smartphone. After all our smartphones are that smartphones! we need them as the other programs we have on our computers at the office or home (ERP, CRM, etc) have extra modules for mobiles phones! and not only because they can play fancy videos (well wm smartphones can play multimedia pretty well! :) )

Guest genaldar
LINK AND SCREENSHOT REMOVED FOLLOWING AN EMAIL FROM APPLE'S LEGAL TEAM! - more details

Can you believe it? :)

P

I can. Apple has always been litigation happy. Remember after the first imac came out and that small asian company (can't remember if it was Taiwanese or from Hong Kong) copied the general look so apple sued them. And of course lets not forget BeOS. Or companies that market ipod accessories and use either the "i" or "pod" on the packaging without paying a fat royalty to the "good" guys of the industry. MS may try to buy you, or bury you, but Apple will sue you. Hell I'm sure if someone owned the term "podcast" apple would sue them. But at the same time they show complete disregard for other companies rights (xerox and cisco spring to mind).

Edited by genaldar

Guest Paul (MVP)

My general thought is that it's unnecessarily heavy handed to handle in this way what is a simple screenshot and link to somebody else's content.

Similar posts are all over the web on other sites in fact :)

P

That's great! Spread the news, let the rest of the 'Net know what a heavy-handed bunch Apple REALLY are!

Remember, this is the company that is being sued for naming their latest creation, using a name previously registered by Cisco... Not in error either, as they have tried unseccessfully to negotiate with Cisco for the use of it beforehand.

I only hope that they checked on ALL the threads on here re: themselves and their products... If so, they may have learned that not all of us are taken in by their over-blown sales hype!

There's a rotten APPLE in the barrel, methinks! :)

Edited by Sp00k

Guest Shuflie
I can. Apple has always been litigation happy. Remember after the first imac came out and that small asian company (can't remember if it was Taiwanese or from Hong Kong) copied the general look so apple sued them. And of course lets not forget BeOS. Or companies that market ipod accessories and use either the "i" or "pod" on the packaging without paying a fat royalty to the "good" guys of the industry. MS may try to buy you, or bury you, but Apple will sue you. Hell I'm sure if someone owned the term "podcast" apple would sue them. But at the same time they show complete disregard for other companies rights (xerox and cisco spring to mind).

I'm not sure about the 'Pod' part of their iPod trademark, but surely suing people because of the 'i' part would be a bit difficult given their latest argument for the iPhone name, they are trying to claim that 'iPhone' is in general usage by a number of different VOIP companies and therefore cannot be a trademark for Cisco. If its such a general term, and has an 'i' at the start of it, then how can Apple claim that 'i' at the start of a name is their creation?

Guest CaptainZok
That's great! Spread the news, let the rest of the 'Net know what a heavy-handed bunch Apple REALLY are!

Remember, this is the company that is being sued for naming their latest creation, using a name previously registered by Cisco... Not in error either, as they have tried unseccessfully to negotiate with Cisco for the use of it beforehand.

I only hope that they checked on ALL the threads on here re: themselves and their products... If so, they may have learned that not all of us are taken in by their over-blown sales hype!

There's a rotten APPLE in the barrel, methinks! :)

Maybe theyre trying to raise a few quid to pay off Cisco. :D

Guest Ingvarr
Unfortunately the mail was marked 'NOT FOR POSTING', exactly how bound I am by that i'm not sure.

You are not bound by it in any way you unless you've signed some NDA or contract with Apple that prohibited you from disclosing the correspondence with them.

Otherwise any idiot can send you threatening or any way stupid emails, and demand from you keeping it secret just by placing scaredy-sound "PRIVATE MAIL, ILLEGAL TO BE DISCLOSED" lines.

Unless you willingly put yourself in some binding legal stuff with sender before, this is complete bullsh#t and will violate the freedom of speech right.

Edited by Ingvarr

Incidentally, I assume as a UK based site I am outside jurisdiction of the US based Apple lawyer?

P

How utterly ridiculous. The product is not even released yet so how can they copyright the icon design? I take it the home screen didn't actually use the REAL icons, since they aren't available, and only used reconstructions, so where would be the infringement be? Now, could somebody PM me with the homescreen so I can have a look at it! Or is it still up at XDA?

Guest pd.ryder

With any luck Cisco will wollop Apple in the US courts regarding the iPhone name :)

Paul - does MoDaCo not have any legal rep to assist / advise on these matters? Surely we must have some law student / graduate on the Members role?

(I'm just about to take a hammer to my Nano) - ar*eholes!!

Guest Ingvarr
Incidentally, I assume as a UK based site I am outside jurisdiction of the US based Apple lawyer?

P

To say it more correctly, you are ouside the jurisdiction of US based laws.

But technically they still can sue you in UK by UK laws, if you've actually broke them. I dont know if UK laws already have precedents concerning posting links or references to controversial materials (more exactly, links to articles how get controversial materials, as I understand you have not even posted direct link to potentially infringing material).

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm just pondering whether to publish the email in full. I've replied to the lawyer letting him know that i'm removed the image / links, and asking him why he thinks I shouldn't publish the mail?

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.