Can't wait for a WM6 device? Play now with the standalone emulator

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Forum oldie 'RichieM' has just dropped me a message to let me know about an article on 'kirupaBlog', with a step by step guide to getting the Windows Mobile 6 emulators up and running on your PC.

The article is interesting because, unlike most other discussions of the emulators, it doesn't assume you have Visual Studio on your machine which - let's face it - is the case with most people!

If you want to give Windows Mobile 6 a test drive, head on over to the article and you'll be up and running in no time.

P

12-Mar-2007_wm6pro.jpg

Forum oldie 'RichieM' has just dropped me a message to let me know about an article on 'kirupaBlog', with a step by step guide to getting the Windows Mobile 6 emulators up and running on your PC.

The same link I submitted a week ago and never got a repsonse from. ;)

Guest shadamehr

The article is interesting because, unlike most other discussions of the emulators, it doesn't assume you have Visual Studio on your machine which - let's face it - is the case with most people!

Alas, I get nowhere fast, because despite the indication above Paul, alas it DOES tell me I need Visual Studio 2005 or higher installed.

Guest tsutton
Alas, I get nowhere fast, because despite the indication above Paul, alas it DOES tell me I need Visual Studio 2005 or higher installed.

Thought it was only me!! Thanks for coming out. ;)

Guest mikeeey
Same here. Sigh. Is he running Vista or something? I'm still on XP or Win2000 depending on the machine I'm using.

cool. im playin around with it right now. but how can i use it with activesync?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest chrisrue

@ paul:

the kirupa blog is dead-wrong, which is documented over at the funcave. vs2005 standard is an absolute requirement to use the sdks.

@ everyone:

while you're waiting for the standalone wm6 images to drop, you could always check out the multi-part series on device emulator v1 w/ wm5. most of the concepts will remain the same in v2.

@ mikeyeee:

the series i just mentioned above has a post dedicated to device emulator cradling & activesync connectivity. remember tho: if you're on xp, you'll need activesync 4.5 for wm6 support. if you're on vista, you have to use wmdc instead of activesync for wm6.

all best,

chris

Edited by chrisrue

Guest chrisrue

hate to reply to my own, well...reply. but this is worth it.

i've got a method to truly run windows mobile 6 standalone, right now. full details are over at the funcave, but here's a screenshot to whet your appetite.

edit: had to remove the link to the screenshot, since i pwned myself with my very own countermeasures against directlinking/hotlinking to images and media on the funcave. ;)

all best,

chris

Edited by chrisrue

• 2 months later...
Guest chrisrue

OK, so now I'm double-replying to my own reply. That's gotta be some sort of record.

The Funlab 2.x series, covering Device Emulator 2.0 and the standalone Windows Mobile 6 images, has commenced. This series will be released over the course of the next 7 Saturdays.

For the official announcement, click here: http://www.chrisrue.com/funcave/2007/06/7-...s-mobile-6.html

For a handy index of Funlab 2.x, click here: http://www.chrisrue.com/funcave/2007/03/de...r-v2-index.html

FYI: Funlab 2.x is the update to Funlab 1.x, which covered Device Emulator 1.0 and the standalone Windows Mobile 5 images. For a handy index of Funlab 1.x, click here: http://www.chrisrue.com/funcave/2006/06/wm...ator-index.html

All best,

Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.